The Student Room Group

AUCB / Bournemouth Arts College University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I had an interview for the make-up course last week and got put on hold :frown: did this happen to anyone else?
Reply 61
Hiya, I had an interview for the makeup course and I got a place :smile: so just thought I would share my experience for those who have interviews coming up!
It was a one on one interview but there was a group of about 8 of us and we had a tour of the makeup rooms and studios then we were asked to wait whilst the two course tutors took us off individually to interview us.
The tutor I had was really nice and laid back, I have a makeup course background already so I had a small portfolio but she asked me to show her art work also and to be honest she seemed more interested in that!
It doesn't matter if you don't have a makeup background because I think the way they see it is, they can teach you makeup but they want to see evidence that you are already an artistic and creative person. (I just had with me a scruffy sketchbook with life drawings and paintings of the beach where I lived but she seemed to like!)
She did also ask me about makeup, who my influences are and I told her about things I did to keep up to date in the world of makeup such looking on makeup websites, looking at Editorials in Vogue etc, watching films and attending IMATS (international makeup artist show) This is just me personally so just mention why you are passionate about makeup and what inspires you and you should be fine!
It was all such a blur but the only thing I can think of is her asking me why I want to go to AUCB. It seemed she was trying to catch me out and I think she said something like 'You must have applied to others too right?' so I just made sure she knew how much I wanted to go there specifically, how I had done my research and this seemed like the best course for me.
Overall I would suggest:
A strong Makeup/Art portfolio.
A list of films, makeup artists in film, tv or fashion etc that inspire you in the back of your mind just in case you are put on the spot
Also an Artist that inspires you, just in case you are asked about your artwork.
How passionate you are about makeup and being creative
A real enthusiasm for working hard and learning about the industry

Obviously every interview is different and you could get asked completely different questions, especially if you are not interviewed by the same person as me, but I think as long as you are well prepared you should be fine!

Sorry this is really long I just thought it might be useful if you are having an interview, so if you are....good luck!!
Reply 62
Original post by amydwyer93
I had an interview forthe fine art course and they rejected me and i was genuinly gutted because it was my first choice but then they sent me a letter that they had reconsidered and gave me an offer of a pass in my art foundation course, so i have put it as my firm choice on ucas, i am just worried about the accomodation now because they don't really have a halls :/

Hi mate,

Yeah I got an offer for the Interior Arch course, mega excited, but the halls really really does put me off. I've applied today for them, as they sent me an email link to do it, but I've gone for the ones in Winton. There's something like 100 rooms on campus, and then like another 50 in Winton, which is something like a student area. It's just not enough. My mate's mate (who works at Student Services at AUCB) suggested these "meeting" days - where people get to see/meet people who they may wanna do a house-share with, sounds awkward but I bet it's proper funny!
Original post by mollymoo
Yeah had colour throughout it. None of my portraits were in colour though, but had mixed media drawings that used paint and ink so they were in colour plus other drawings, my actual pieces and design ideas that had colour. Think they are expecting a range of work, some girls only had makeup portfolios. They wanted to see my life drawing though. I hate doing portfolios! Have to change mine for an interview tomorrow :frown: xx

ive literally got 4 coloured pieces but they are all big main pieces but i dunno if its going to be enough! ive got life drawings, pencil portraits, a charcoal portrait, oil pastels portraits in colour , 1 colouring pencils at the mo and working on another and one oil paints, 1 silk screen print and one project book, but they are all good quality big pieces so im just hoping its enough, and im getting digital print outs of all my work and putting it in an a3 leather portfolio book just to look neater and more professional but ill take my a1 folder aswell so they can see my original pieces :s-smilie: , im just hoping they wont expect project work from me as ive been working in nursing for the last 5 years . where else are you applying? xxx
Reply 64
Original post by lipglossandblack
ive literally got 4 coloured pieces but they are all big main pieces but i dunno if its going to be enough! ive got life drawings, pencil portraits, a charcoal portrait, oil pastels portraits in colour , 1 colouring pencils at the mo and working on another and one oil paints, 1 silk screen print and one project book, but they are all good quality big pieces so im just hoping its enough, and im getting digital print outs of all my work and putting it in an a3 leather portfolio book just to look neater and more professional but ill take my a1 folder aswell so they can see my original pieces :s-smilie: , im just hoping they wont expect project work from me as ive been working in nursing for the last 5 years . where else are you applying? xxx

Have you got in any artist research or development work? Wow that is a huge change! Have a place at Loughborough for 3D, aucb and then waiting on LCF, had a portfolio review then interview start of this week so not sure when they will get back. I just want to find out so I can start sorting housing and things like that out!! Do you live near bournemouth? xxx
Have you got in any artist research or development work? Wow that is a huge change! Have a place at Loughborough for 3D, aucb and then waiting on LCF, had a portfolio review then interview start of this week so not sure when they will get back. I just want to find out so I can start sorting housing and things like that out!! Do you live near bournemouth? xxx

just one sketchbook im putting in from my alevels cos im really not happy witht he rest, so i really hope they wont be expecting lots of research etc still as im considered a mature student so havent been doing project work obvs and im not really going to sit at home making up projects. i dnt need research or development work for the work ive done :s-smilie: yeah it is a change but i never planned on staying in nursing , i always wanted a creative career. which one do you think youll go for? i live in surrey so its about and hour and a half drive. do you live near? my boyfriend applied for an access course in bournemouth because i am trying to get onto this course and he wanted to move down with me and hes got in so it would just be amazing if i did. but yeah same i really want to get the interview over with now because im going to have to think of an alternative if i dont get in and if i do we probably need to sort out housing as we want somewhere together and i dont think its goign to be easy to find somewhere xx
Original post by ca_daisy
Hiya, I had an interview for the makeup course and I got a place :smile: so just thought I would share my experience for those who have interviews coming up!
It was a one on one interview but there was a group of about 8 of us and we had a tour of the makeup rooms and studios then we were asked to wait whilst the two course tutors took us off individually to interview us.
The tutor I had was really nice and laid back, I have a makeup course background already so I had a small portfolio but she asked me to show her art work also and to be honest she seemed more interested in that!
It doesn't matter if you don't have a makeup background because I think the way they see it is, they can teach you makeup but they want to see evidence that you are already an artistic and creative person. (I just had with me a scruffy sketchbook with life drawings and paintings of the beach where I lived but she seemed to like!)
She did also ask me about makeup, who my influences are and I told her about things I did to keep up to date in the world of makeup such looking on makeup websites, looking at Editorials in Vogue etc, watching films and attending IMATS (international makeup artist show) This is just me personally so just mention why you are passionate about makeup and what inspires you and you should be fine!
It was all such a blur but the only thing I can think of is her asking me why I want to go to AUCB. It seemed she was trying to catch me out and I think she said something like 'You must have applied to others too right?' so I just made sure she knew how much I wanted to go there specifically, how I had done my research and this seemed like the best course for me.
Overall I would suggest:
A strong Makeup/Art portfolio.
A list of films, makeup artists in film, tv or fashion etc that inspire you in the back of your mind just in case you are put on the spot
Also an Artist that inspires you, just in case you are asked about your artwork.
How passionate you are about makeup and being creative
A real enthusiasm for working hard and learning about the industry

Obviously every interview is different and you could get asked completely different questions, especially if you are not interviewed by the same person as me, but I think as long as you are well prepared you should be fine!

Sorry this is really long I just thought it might be useful if you are having an interview, so if you are....good luck!!

heya! thanks! is def all useful,mostly what i was already expecting already but i will be talking about the same kinds of stuff and can easily talk about who inspires me and films etc and have a strong art portfolio although i dont have tons of work.did you not really have any research or develpment work then? because i dont really have any and that is what im worried about most of all?have you applied anywhere else or are you accepting the place?xx
Reply 67
just one sketchbook im putting in from my alevels cos im really not happy witht he rest, so i really hope they wont be expecting lots of research etc still as im considered a mature student so havent been doing project work obvs and im not really going to sit at home making up projects. i dnt need research or development work for the work ive done :s-smilie: yeah it is a change but i never planned on staying in nursing , i always wanted a creative career. which one do you think youll go for? i live in surrey so its about and hour and a half drive. do you live near? my boyfriend applied for an access course in bournemouth because i am trying to get onto this course and he wanted to move down with me and hes got in so it would just be amazing if i did. but yeah same i really want to get the interview over with now because im going to have to think of an alternative if i dont get in and if i do we probably need to sort out housing as we want somewhere together and i dont think its goign to be easy to find somewhere xx

I'm sure you will be fine! I think they just want to see that your passionate. I got accepted to LCF so I'm going to firm that and have AUCB as 2nd, just waiting for LCF to change their conditions as they made a mistake. There seem to be loads of houses and things for rent in Bournemouth so I'm sure you will be fine!! You're lucky you have had so long to prepare for your interview though! xx
Reply 68
heya! thanks! is def all useful,mostly what i was already expecting already but i will be talking about the same kinds of stuff and can easily talk about who inspires me and films etc and have a strong art portfolio although i dont have tons of work.did you not really have any research or develpment work then? because i dont really have any and that is what im worried about most of all?have you applied anywhere else or are you accepting the place?xx

I'm sure you will be fine! I found it seemed to be quality of work over quantity they were interested in anyway so if it's strong like you say you have nothing to worry about! Not a lot no, probably one book with some random bits of research here and there- just stuff I did at college ages ago but she didn't even really look at it! She seemed more interested in a chat and getting to know me which I was relieved about! I was worried I didn't have enough with me or that it wasn't what they were looking for.
I went and interviewed at LCF last year and I really didn't like it (I didn't get a place anyway!) but I found the man who interviewed me really rude and he just made me feel uncomfortable that's just my experience though! i'm accepting my place yeah :smile: what about you, are you interviewing elsewhere? xx
Accepted my offer for BA Fashion Studies (:
Anyone going to the accommodation days?
Reply 70
Original post by chrisgenner
Accepted my offer for BA Fashion Studies (:
Anyone going to the accommodation days?

congrats on your offer! :smile: i'm going to the accommodation days in july!
Reply 71
I've applied for the make-up course as well. The major thing i'm worried about is the essay that they say 'they like to see'.

Did this come up at all when you guys had your interview? How important was it?
Reply 72
Original post by Jstreeton
I've applied for the make-up course as well. The major thing i'm worried about is the essay that they say 'they like to see'.

I didn't put one in. They didn't ask for one either, so I really wouldn't worry about it :smile:
Original post by ca_daisy
I'm sure you will be fine! I found it seemed to be quality of work over quantity they were interested in anyway so if it's strong like you say you have nothing to worry about! Not a lot no, probably one book with some random bits of research here and there- just stuff I did at college ages ago but she didn't even really look at it! She seemed more interested in a chat and getting to know me which I was relieved about! I was worried I didn't have enough with me or that it wasn't what they were looking for.
I went and interviewed at LCF last year and I really didn't like it (I didn't get a place anyway!) but I found the man who interviewed me really rude and he just made me feel uncomfortable that's just my experience though! i'm accepting my place yeah :smile: what about you, are you interviewing elsewhere? xx

no, just bournemouth because i literally love everything about the course and i thought the tutors seemed so nice and laid back at the open day and when ive been to open days at london and kingston etc before the tutors have really put me off,just found some of them a bit pretentious and one of them once said, we dont want all of you turning up with blonde hair (basically looking the same) but it hought it was such a stupid thing to say at an open day, or to care about.yeah my works only stuff ive done in my spare time since my alevels and i had to leave my foundation degree because of something **** that happened so dont have work from that either but uve made me feel better about what i will be showing them! ill have to let you know if i get in! fingers crossed! x

hey! is your interview on monday? i dont have an essay or any written work and i never had to do any at school anyway.its def not something they will be bothered about if you can talk to them easily and show a genuine interest and kwoledge x
I'm sure you will be fine! I think they just want to see that your passionate. I got accepted to LCF so I'm going to firm that and have AUCB as 2nd, just waiting for LCF to change their conditions as they made a mistake. There seem to be loads of houses and things for rent in Bournemouth so I'm sure you will be fine!! You're lucky you have had so long to prepare for your interview though! xx

i know, so lucky! had 6 weeks! although i work full time , so only had 2 days free a week but still, i woulda been ****ting myself if i had ended up with the earlier interviews because i wouldnt have felt i had filled my potential.xx
Reply 76
Interview was today. I'd written the essay and everything but the guy (Pete Tindall?) didn't ask about it so I didn't show it. Very chilled interview and was nice getting to explain my portfolio.

Student area also looks quite nice.
Interview was today. I'd written the essay and everything but the guy (Pete Tindall?) didn't ask about it so I didn't show it. Very chilled interview and was nice getting to explain my portfolio.

Student area also looks quite nice.

heya, i had mine yesterday aswell. i wish id had pete instead. theres some makeup on the millenium fx website i would have spoken about. my interview was really weird. about ten minutes long, really rushed , she barely let me answer half my qus properly, like id say no, and be about to explain my answer and she would go onto the next question. i dunno if thats becuase i was saying what she wanted to hear or not? she asked me nothing about my portfolio apart from were my drawings all free hand a few times(as if i might have traced them or something?) and she seemed pretty serious for most of the time and didnt give me much eye contact so i found it hard to gage what she was thinking . i think i answered everything well and only got stuck when she asked me who i would make up from history if i could choose anyone and i said i didnt know but if i could do the makeup for my favourite book if it was made into one then i know what i would do. also when she asked me who did harry potter and i told her mark coulier she looked at me weird but i know he did cos i know a girl who worked with him. afterwards she was really nice and smiley though but i just found the whole thing quite weird, felt like she was just rushing throught the qus and wasnt interested in my own thoughts atall,just wanted to get answers down on paper. mayb im being paranoid but i just got the impression she just wanted to get the interview over with cos she was behind on time and there was a girl waiting on her own for the last interview :s
Reply 78
heya, i had mine yesterday aswell. i wish id had pete instead. theres some makeup on the millenium fx website i would have spoken about. my interview was really weird. about ten minutes long, really rushed , she barely let me answer half my qus properly, like id say no, and be about to explain my answer and she would go onto the next question. i dunno if thats becuase i was saying what she wanted to hear or not? she asked me nothing about my portfolio apart from were my drawings all free hand a few times(as if i might have traced them or something?) and she seemed pretty serious for most of the time and didnt give me much eye contact so i found it hard to gage what she was thinking . i think i answered everything well and only got stuck when she asked me who i would make up from history if i could choose anyone and i said i didnt know but if i could do the makeup for my favourite book if it was made into one then i know what i would do. also when she asked me who did harry potter and i told her mark coulier she looked at me weird but i know he did cos i know a girl who worked with him. afterwards she was really nice and smiley though but i just found the whole thing quite weird, felt like she was just rushing throught the qus and wasnt interested in my own thoughts atall,just wanted to get answers down on paper. mayb im being paranoid but i just got the impression she just wanted to get the interview over with cos she was behind on time and there was a girl waiting on her own for the last interview :s

Ahhh ok, someone told me about the history Q so I was prepared for it and quite disappointed when he didn't ask it haha. Pete had some Q's written down on paper that he was going through as well, I guess he was just slightly more relaxed about the whole situation though because I was allowed to develop on some of my answers when I felt it necessary.

It's a bit harsh that she was kind of rushing of you though, were you happy when you left the room though? I was so so, but if you were happy then that's a good sign. x
Ahhh ok, someone told me about the history Q so I was prepared for it and quite disappointed when he didn't ask it haha. Pete had some Q's written down on paper that he was going through as well, I guess he was just slightly more relaxed about the whole situation though because I was allowed to develop on some of my answers when I felt it necessary.

It's a bit harsh that she was kind of rushing of you though, were you happy when you left the room though? I was so so, but if you were happy then that's a good sign. x

i was happy initially, felt i'd answered everything well and to my full ability considering that i didn't always have the chance to elaborate on my answers much but now i'm waiting for an answer i'm worrying about it more and thinking about my answers more and wish i had answered in more detail really but its all such a blur now i'm not sure if i had much of a chance to do that at the time anyway. I got an email saying my applications been put on hold. have you heard back yet? are you applying anywhere else? sorry if iv'e asked that already x

Quick Reply

Latest