The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Anyone missed their offer for Warwick but still got in?

Just want to know if it is possible... Is there anyone out there who missed their Warwick conditional offer by a grade or two and were still allowed in? Has this ever happened?
Anyone? Then did anyone only miss their offer by a grade/few UMS but weren't allowed in?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
There's no point in asking these questions. The answer to both your questions is likely yes, for every establishment ever.

If you wanted cases, for Maths, I have a couple of friends here that missed their offers by a STEP grade and got in, yet my friend back home missed his offer by a few marks in STEP and didn't get in.

Just focus on meeting the offer, if you can! :smile:
Original post by AnonyMatt
There's no point in asking these questions. The answer to both your questions is likely yes, for every establishment ever.

If you wanted cases, for Maths, I have a couple of friends here that missed their offers by a STEP grade and got in, yet my friend back home missed his offer by a few marks in STEP and didn't get in.

Just focus on meeting the offer, if you can! :smile:

Fair enough, just wanted to see whether they were strict or lenient on these matters but thanks for answering :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by christmas_steps
Fair enough, just wanted to see whether they were strict or lenient on these matters but thanks for answering :smile:

This would vary from year to year as it depends on how many people did meet their offer. The more people met it, the stricter they have to be.
Reply 5
agree with ttoby :smile: its really depends how most of their firmers do in the exam.

but i know there was a senior in my school that got in for economics even though she missed a grade. not sure whether she put warwick as firm or insurance though.

i think it depends on the relationship between the university and your school/institution as well. i've heard that some people got in despite missing the offer by quite a lot because the school had good relationship with the university.

i wouldn't advice you to count on that though. varies from year to year.
just reposting what I mentioned in another thread for those that are interested

Firstly, it goes without saying that the closer you are to your offer, the better the chance you have of getting in.

However, some schools typically give the impression that, if you only miss by a small amount, then you are pretty much guaranteed to be admitted on results day. This is a misleading impression, because the funding restrictions placed on universities by central government mean that we have strict limits on the number of places we can actually give out.

That is to say, if we are at, or over, our "control number" for Home/EU students for a specific course, just as a result of people who made the offer, then we are not permitted to give out any more offers, even to people who just only just missed the offer.

I had several cases last year where people phoned me up on results day saying that their school had "promised" we'd be able to give them a place, and so they hadn't chosen an Insurance offer. As it turned out, we exactly hit our target in terms of the number of people who made the offer, so we weren't permitted to give out any discretionary places, even to very talented students.

This shouldn't deter you from "firming" Warwick, as it is often the case we do have places to give out on results day (such as the economics department had 2 years ago), and other universities face exactly the same constraints, but that you should make sure you also take an Insurance option which you are happy with in the event that you don't get your grades, and we are unable to offer you a place.
Original post by University of Warwick
just reposting what I mentioned in another thread for those that are interested

Aargh, just tried to pos rep you on a phone and hit the wrong bit of the screen! Thanks for posting this :frown:
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
Aargh, just tried to pos rep you on a phone and hit the wrong bit of the screen! Thanks for posting this :frown:

no worries!
What would happen if hypothetically everyone who had received an offer for a particular subject was able to satisfy that offer? Would the subject in question be over subscribed as a result?

no worries!
Original post by Mousebudden
What would happen if hypothetically everyone who had received an offer for a particular subject was able to satisfy that offer? Would the subject in question be over subscribed as a result?

Sure, we have the "target number" of students, as given by our funding restrictions, and our physical "capacity", which would be the maximum number of students we can take, and is larger.

In the event we are over our "target number" as a result of those who meet the offer, should the aggregate university picture also be over target, we incur financial penalties.

As you know, we are obligated to take all those who meet our offer if they have accepted one from us, so we bear that side of the risk.
The Economics Dept has given a good answer there.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there's an additional complication this year with the Government effectively 'uncapping' places for those getting AAB or above, and at the same time putting the squeeze on places which are charging 9k but whose students get ABB or lower. So - and this won't affect the Economics dept! - if your offer is AAB and you miss by a grade this year and get ABB I think your chances are lower than they would have been before because controls on the sub-AAB students are super-strict this year. Next year they are uncapping places for ABB or lower, which will be just about all of Warwick's courses, but for one year only if you're on the AAB/ABB borderline life might be tough.

PS I'm not a massive admissions geek honest! My big sister works in uni admissions though and she is!
Original post by anniemagnificent
The Economics Dept has given a good answer there.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there's an additional complication this year with the Government effectively 'uncapping' places for those getting AAB or above, and at the same time putting the squeeze on places which are charging 9k but whose students get ABB or lower. So - and this won't affect the Economics dept! - if your offer is AAB and you miss by a grade this year and get ABB I think your chances are lower than they would have been before because controls on the sub-AAB students are super-strict this year. Next year they are uncapping places for ABB or lower, which will be just about all of Warwick's courses, but for one year only if you're on the AAB/ABB borderline life might be tough.

PS I'm not a massive admissions geek honest! My big sister works in uni admissions though and she is!

I have an AA offer (because of a diploma distinction). From what you said, does this mean that if I get AB grades, the 'uncapping' would mean a more lenient admission system?

I know it's rather foolish to harp on this but I'm getting scared as h*ll because I'm doing everything I can to get the grades (studying like a freaking psycho) and yet I can't help but feel that I'll get a B because life is a comedy.
I'm not able to provide really any information about how the "uncapped recruitment for AAB+" will affect departmental policy, simply because it's information which is being worked through at the higher levels of the university, and we, as departments, don't have the complete picture as to how it affects our own recruitment activities.

I'm sure more information will become available, but, as it stands, we can only work under the existing system until told otherwise.
I'm not able to provide really any information about how the "uncapped recruitment for AAB+" will affect departmental policy, simply because it's information which is being worked through at the higher levels of the university, and we, as departments, don't have the complete picture as to how it affects our own recruitment activities.

I'm sure more information will become available, but, as it stands, we can only work under the existing system until told otherwise.

Completely understood :smile:. Even if it is 'more lenient', doesn't change anything!

*to-the-books!*

(THANK YOU.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending