The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Thanks Jim. Really appreciate that info. I will pm my email address if you could forward a copy of the timetables? I work 9-5 aswell so I found it a bit of a nightmare at times last year! We did a inter professional module as well... Enough said lol

Original post by jimb76
Post me your email address and I'll try and send you a copy of the timetables I had for the two semesters... personally I didn't think the workload was difficult to manage, and there seemed to be a lot of time to emmm study. :wink: we had a research module where we had to do groupwork with nurses , physios etc. we only met once at the start and did the rest of the work through online discussion. An essay had to be split 5 ways and one was due every two weeks. I've heard they are doing away with that though...it was a farce to be honest .

Assessments took place at the end of each semester and were all 2500-3000 word essays. Except the skills module which consisted of a recorded interview and a reflective account of how we felt we did. We also had to do a group presentation on a serious case review (baby P, Declan Hainey etc).
If you work weekends/ backshifts, you'll manage to fit in plenty of shifts. My work is only open mon to fri 9-5 and I still managed to do around 2 shifts per week, although I started one shift at 10.30 every two weeks because of the research module.
Reply 201
Original post by laurav86
Thanks Jim. Really appreciate that info. I will pm my email address if you could forward a copy of the timetables? I work 9-5 aswell so I found it a bit of a nightmare at times last year! We did a inter professional module as well... Enough said lol

Emailed you both timetables...
Reply 202
Original post by Cassmcl
Hey Wilaggy (and everyone else),

I hope you don't mind me joining this convo, came across it through a search.

I've been offered a place at Strathclyde this year to do my Social Work, I'm so excited. Can you tell me roughly the timetable for first year please?

Ta muchness
Catherine

Hey Catherine.

Im soo sorry I didn't reply sooner but ive not been on for a while. Did you commence your social work degree? If so hope your finding it ok. Im mid way through second year.

Arlene
Reply 203
Hi guys,

How's uni life been treating you all. Hope you are all still getting stuck in. I've been enjoying it, this time next year I'll be looking for a job :smile:

Jim.
Reply 204
Original post by jimb76
Hi guys,

How's uni life been treating you all. Hope you are all still getting stuck in. I've been enjoying it, this time next year I'll be looking for a job :smile:

Jim.

Hey Jim good to hear from you. Your so lucky I've still got two years to go! First placement this sept! Have you done a placement already then? How was it?? Time sure has flown tho :wink:
Reply 205
Original post by wilaggy
Hey Jim good to hear from you. Your so lucky I've still got two years to go! First placement this sept! Have you done a placement already then? How was it?? Time sure has flown tho :wink:

Hey Arlene!

First placement was not my cup of tea, and today I discovered what my second one will be. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. I met a few of your classmates during induction at SLC today, and got me wondering how you were!
Reply 206
Hey Jim great to hear from you! Which colleagues was it? Great group of people we have! Aww that's a shame about first placement! Did u just not feel U got anything from it or was it not where you had requested to go? Well I might not even make placement now! I failed two essays and feel less confident about the resits I just put in! Results could take til August to come back. They want me to go meet placement practice teacher etc before I even get confirmation I'm passed onto 3rd year. If I fail resit I can't proceed on course! Gutted as sailed through first year! :frown: there's no way I'll resit this yea again! :'(
Reply 207
Original post by wilaggy
Hey Jim great to hear from you! Which colleagues was it? Great group of people we have! Aww that's a shame about first placement! Did u just not feel U got anything from it or was it not where you had requested to go? Well I might not even make placement now! I failed two essays and feel less confident about the resits I just put in! Results could take til August to come back. They want me to go meet placement practice teacher etc before I even get confirmation I'm passed onto 3rd year. If I fail resit I can't proceed on course! Gutted as sailed through first year! :frown: there's no way I'll resit this yea again! :'(

Aw that's awful Arlene...you should've mailed me - I would've helped you get through it!

Last placement was not what I wanted, amd didn't learn too much from it. I was with a local authority so I had high expectations right enough, but still, the experience wasn't great.

Fingers crossed you pass essays, would be terrible after how far you've come if you couldn't progress. Keep me posted?

Jim.

Quick Reply

Latest