The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by seaholme
I think the problem is more that it's international companies and banks in Britain that bring us most of the £££, and if they have to pay tariffs on everything in order to access the single market it would be bad business sense to remain in Britain.

There will be no tariff. Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:
Reply 161
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I am hurt. I live in an area that was overwhelmingly Leave and I was honestly shocked by this. People saying how they've 'got their country back' and using immigration as an argument.

My friends have alienated me for having a political opinion; applauding each other's apathy and the fact they've rooted for a change they fail to understand the true gravitas of. They also got upset when I said the Leave campaign has been overwhelmigly racist using the following logic:
(1) migrants overwhelmingly enrich our country both politically and economically
(2) therefore the problem you have with them is the mere fact they're from another country
(3) this is fundamentally racist.

I'm personally offended as a second generation immigrant who has done much better than my British friends academically and whose parents contribute far more, both to the industries they work and in tax etc. The assertion that 'I'm not racist - I just want out' does not comfort me with its mysterious circular reasoning.

This is the first time I've felt secluded from my social group and my country. I always saw myself doing something to contribute to a country that's given me so much - I wanted to be in politics or journalism or work in an NGO. I've volunteered and worked and already feel I've contributed to my community. The fact that my position and my future has been undermined by people who still use 'of' instead of 'have' when forming the perfect tense horrifies me.

I'm posting it again:

I'm French and I don't consider this vote to be against me. If the same vote had been organised in France, Leave would have won by 60%. There is a general hate of the EU in several European countries, but Europeans don't hate their neighbours.

Northerners on 0 hour contracts do not believe that "the EU brings prosperity". They have however seen Poles being brought in by their former employers to work on minimum wage.
(edited 7 years ago)
There should have been a referendum before inviting the migrants here in the first place. It could have read:

Do you want millions of third worlders and Eastern Europeans to settle in Britain?

Yes (box)
No (box)

The answer would have been a resounding No.
Original post by lucabrasi98
We've all lost. You won't be laughing when Scotland leaves the UK and takes their oil with them. N.Ireland leaves too. We go into your second recession. your parents lose their jobs.

Everybody in the UK lost yesterday. It's just that 48% of the voter population was smart enough to realise it right away (hence the outrage). All you "muh independence!!!" people will understand the truth by october when Boris is PM and stage 1 of the **** show commences.

Edit: And don't think EU are going to bend over for us when it comes to trade agreements to risk more countries thinking there's no point of joining. We're going to be made an example of. You guys have ****ed our country. We now bend over to the EU and have NO SAY IN WHAT THEY DO AT ALL.

It was worth it for the freedom of my children. Honestly, remainers are just like the first natives Christopher Columbus met when he landed in the west indies, who swore fealty to him and by extension the kingdom of Spain for a few beads and other trinkets.
Original post by TCA2b

The only thing you accomplished in that text was backtracking on what you said about Scotland after realsing you were wrong. And what you say about Greece doesn't change the fact that they're currently in the EU. For as long as they and many other countries are there, there's no reason why Scotlands application to join them wouldn't be a mere formality.

Amazing how you managed to type that much without making a single point. Tbh I don't know why I expected rational responses from someone idiotic enough to thing leaving is a better option. Apparently sarcasm is enough for you guys think you've won debates. Tbh I blame myself for even biting your bait and replying.

Also I'm not the same person that said it was worse than 2008. That being said, give it 2 years. Stupid leavers are currently downplaying the biggest drop since 1985 as mere fluctuations.

Englands/Wales' only hope is a second referendum when the elderly population that forced this through dies off. I say that because by then I'm 99% sure Scotland and N.Ireland will have already left by then.
Original post by Little Popcorns
Well the amount of rep OP has received hopefully stands as an example of the strength of opinion people have on this... If not all of social media blowing up over this. There are a lot of very depressed, confused and concerned people all over the UK since yesterdays result. What's going to happen...? :s-smilie:

There was no greater example of strength of opinion than 17 million votes that thought otherwise. 68 reps on a student forum and a bunch of people moaning on Twitter is hardly a comparison.

All depends what you read. If you follow this website, you'll get the idea that the world has ended.

If you read daily mail, leaving the EU is like winning the lottery.
Original post by Josb
There will be no tariff. Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Google "European Economic Area"
Reply 167
Google "European Economic Area"

So what?

France and Germany are net exporters to the UK, they don't want to lose their margins by starting a trade war. They will rapidly find an trade agreement with the UK. Don't worry.
Original post by Josb
So what?

France and Germany are net exporters to the UK, they don't want to lose their margins by starting a trade war. They will rapidly find an trade agreement with the UK. Don't worry.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/248265/london-banking-redundancies-brexit/

Nearly half of our exports go to the EU. We rely on it for a significant portion of our financial services industry.

I wonder why you are not worried at all, given the deep pile of **** (predictably) piling up as a consequence of this. At best we are hoping to re-negotiate the status quo against sides who frankly have leverage, and numbers.
I've been grinning from ear to ear ever since the result was announced, a bit like this:

this:

and this:

Reply 170
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/248265/london-banking-redundancies-brexit/

Nearly half of our exports go to the EU. We rely on it for a significant portion of our financial services industry.

I wonder why you are not worried at all, given the deep pile of **** (predictably) piling up as a consequence of this. At best we are hoping to re-negotiate the status quo against sides who frankly have leverage, and numbers.

You were speaking of tariffs. I told you that there will be no tariff. The links you provided are a different issue, but I don't think that banks are moving to the EU, simply because the situation isn't bright there as well - European markets have also fallen. Jobs will be lost everywhere in the EU, not just in the City.
I was so sad. I don't know whats going to happen to me now.
Original post by Josb
You were speaking of tariffs. I told you that there will be no tariff. The links you provided are a different issue, but I don't think that banks are moving to the EU, simply because the situation isn't bright there as well - European markets have also fallen. Jobs will be lost everywhere in the EU, not just in the City.

You asked me "So what?" and I told you "so what".

Movement of jobs is because of access to the single market! Sod all to do with markets falling or rising, of course the markets are going to dip after this. The thing you need to bring you back up in the long term is industry and investment and we've just taken a big step towards making ourselves un-investable. And yes jobs will be lost in several places because of this. Hurrah.

I don't mean to be insulting (and I know this usually precedes something insulting) but I honestly don't think you appreciate the actual economic situation in the world. If I were an international bank, or indeed an international company I'd be moving my money away too.

Assuming we will maintain an economic status quo in this country seems very naive given the fact that, like I said, we're at best hoping to maintain the status quo out of any negotiations. At best we're going to have a dip and then try to scrape our way back to where we were back on the 23rd of June before this self-inflicted blow was dealt. I honestly think if people actually understood what they'd voted for there's no way this would have happened. Who votes for poverty and ****?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
I'm posting it again:

I'm French and I don't consider this vote to be against me. If the same vote had been organised in France, Leave would have won by 60%. There is a general hate of the EU in several European countries, but Europeans don't hate their neighbours.

Well, the French are generally more racist than the British, so it is no suprise.

They murder all their colonial subjects and wonder why they are hated.

Sorry, you can't use facts when you talk to Brexit voters.

You have to say things that cannot be proven.....IE we have to get control, things will be ok in the long term and immigration.
If this new associated relationship between Germany and Great Britain truly is in the pipelines, I will be far more optimistic about the Brexit.
Reply 176
Original post by DorianGrayism
They murder all their colonial subjects and wonder why they are hated.

What?
Original post by Twinpeaks

I'm grieving for us no longer being a leading institution for academia. The vast majority of my lecturers were European researchers- Germans, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Italian. Without these people, the research department at my university would be nothing. UK is no longer going to be at the forefront of science.

I just feel so ashamed for us as a country. For making such a strong gesture of unwelcome to EU migrants. My sister's boss is Portuguese, and she could see the sheer hurt in her, with her boss expressing that she now feels unwelcome in the place she calls home. This is mirrored by so many EU immigrants across the UK. My university professor tweeted-

"I am an EU migrant trying to make a contribution to your country. It is because of people like me you voted Leave. Yes, it hurts."

This is so sad :cry2:

Yes, I have been really down in the dumps ever since the results came out. I graduate from my masters in a couple of months and could really see myself staying in the UK for a long time before this but now the future is so uncertain. I'm fearful of where this country is headed and want to give myself as many options as possible.

My housemates are European as well, they too are hurt and disappointed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
What?

How many Algerians did the French murder?
Original post by WBZ144
This is so sad :cry2:

Yes, I have been really down in the dumps ever since the results came out. I graduate from my masters in a couple of months and could really see myself staying in the UK for a long time before this but now the future is so uncertain. I'm fearful of where this country is headed and want to give myself as many options as possible.

My housemates are European as well, they too are hurt and disappointed.

I also have a lot of European friends who feel so unwanted. I feel disgusted that this country has generated that situation, I don't think Leavers realise how much of a psychological impact this has had on those people. Perhaps some of them thought they were voting for some kind of clinically dry "exit, we don't want you rules but we still like you" - but it comes across as Xenophobia with a capital X. These are educated people who are contributing to our economy and (personally) to my life.

The irony being that if we don't want to collapse our economy and way of life, we're going to have to remain part of the EEA and single movement without any control any more. We used to have all sorts of opt-outs as the UK. Like we used to be able to refuse to engage in things that others have had to, such as when Germany suggested we distribute Syrian refugees equally. The UK was able to have no part in that due to specific opt-outs we had negotiated as a member. We'll have no such opt-out now, in fact we have no ability to negotiate anything much except for our continued access to the single market as an outsider. The whole thing is a shitstorm in that people who voted Remain voted for no such thing and the people who voted Leave (through, presumably, ignorance of how the EU works) also voted for no such thing.

I despair.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending