Exeter

The 'I'm Coming to Exeter' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Praetorian_X
Same as me. :h: I guess we'll see each other around then. :smile:

Cool :biggrin: See you then. :tongue:

That sounds exciting! Have you had your results yet? :smile:

Is anyone planning on going to this: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pre-registration-project-ex-the-ultimate-freshers-wristband-tickets-26461402768?aff=erelexpmlt ? Certainly looks interesting. :biggrin:

I didn't know about that, that looks interesting :h: gonna look into it a bit more
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I'm a exeter vet and I'm coming for my last year in september
if anybody wants to know anything more in detail just message me
exeter is quite big and confusing at first, at least in my opinion

and remember:

clubs (show up at about 10 if you don't worry about potential queues. in that case, go for maybe 9. obviously find the clubs via google maps. you're also going to want to buy as few drinks inside the clubs as possible as they charge more there than usual - so drink up before entering):
1 - the lemon grove: very school-disco in its vibe but its drinks aren't expensive usually. you can get stamps here. stamps = getting in and out after you've walked out.
2- unit 1: it's all right - the club has become pretty lazy at policing the forged tickets these days. go there on tuesday nights.
3- timepiece: it's basically unit 1's competitor club - go there on wednesdays. its smoking area is much better than arena's and you can actually get a stamp there so that's its edge against unit 1.
4- cavern: my favourite. underground, smaller and more personal (it also has sofas) - it can be a bit expensive sometimes. worth it though. very colourful and much more tolerable music than the usual clubby garbage that is only listen-to-able when you're smashed. also, you can get stamps here too.
5- mosaic: ****. don't go.
6- cellar door: this place I actually haven't been to as it's apparently quite new - it's always selling out so it must be all right. it's down at the quay which is far away from the main residential zone.
7- the vault: a gay club. you can go if you're straight though. but be careful because you might come out thinking "I shouldn't have done that..."

bars:
the imperial (wetherspoons): s'all right but not really my kind of place - a bit too restaurant-y
hole in the wall: s'all right - better than the "impy" imo
the black horse: s'all right - the outside area is the best bit - the staff (from my experience) can be a little snippy
the odd fellows: quite good
walkabout: goodish
the ram: goodish
the chevalier: nah
the king billy: nooooooo
the firehouse: ehhh, personally I'm not a fan but I know a lot of people who are. it's good for food, if you have the money (i.e. pizza)

studying when all the PCs in the library are taken (this is quite important):
there are some rooms people don't know about for PCs:
1) the amory building on the ground floor on the right as you go in has a few PC rooms, but you need your student ID as your key card
2) the old library (the basement library) area has more PCs
3) the harrison building has PCs oddly in the corridors on the upper floors
4) the careers zone (on the ground floor of the forum building) has some PCs usually free to use

some more minor details:
don't buy stuff from the marketplace shop (the big shop on the forum ground floor) - it's overpriced. go upstairs to the guild shop instead. slightly cheaper.
if you have a book and it's been "reserved" suddenly (via email message) by somebody else, that *doesn't* mean you have to give the book to the library immediately - you actually get until the book is actually due. it's very misleading in the email.
if you're doing a humanities subject, "jstor" and google scholar are your friends. also, typing "pdf" after a term on google can also be helpful for sources. if you're doing law, "elawresources" is a miracle, and "westlaw" is the best "official website" for law cases imo.
the end of year ball ("the enchanted garden ball" )is actually totally **** and I don't recommend anybody go there. it's hilariously bad and overpriced - buy tickets and then sell them for a profit to suckers instead. just suit up on the day, take a group photo with your friends, and then claim you went just to seem like you're in with the cool kids when they see the pics on facebook. also, on that note: get tickets to the club events in fresher's week and get your "friends" (housemates/flatmates) to go too.
buy your groceries from a big corporate shop like tesco or sainsburys - not the co-op. the co-op is more expensive for worse quality products.
(edited 7 years ago)
That sounds exciting! Have you had your results yet? :smile:

Is anyone planning on going to this: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pre-registration-project-ex-the-ultimate-freshers-wristband-tickets-26461402768?aff=erelexpmlt ? Certainly looks interesting. :biggrin:

Yep! My offer got unconditional yesterday! :smile:
Original post by BlueUnico
Yep! My offer got unconditional yesterday! :smile:

Congrats! :biggrin:
Reply 1664
Hey!! I got Lafrowda block N. Anyone else? 😁
And can someone tell me about it a little bit? I hear tons of stuff saying that Lafrowda is great and not great at the same time. I'm kinda confused 😓
(edited 7 years ago)
My offer to study Medical Sciences got unconditional yesterday! :biggrin:
Hey guys! I'll be staying in Holland Hall block D. Does anyone know about Fresher's Week and if we need to buy tickets? I haven't heard anything about it!
I just applied for accommodation as I thought they aren't allocated until after 31st july, but seems not.

When did you all get your accommodation offers?
Original post by kingLAWZA
I just applied for accommodation as I thought they aren't allocated until after 31st july, but seems not.

I got mine at he beginning of July because i already have my grades
Hey. I'm pretty sure I'm going through clearing, and Exeter for medical sciences is definitely my first choice. Do you think it'd still be possible for me to get accommodation after results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingLAWZA

My offer was made unconditional on July 15th.

I received my accommodation offer on July 21st.
Reply 1671
Hi !! I'm going to Exeter next year as an Erasmus student and I will be staying at Lafrowda. In order to get to know some people there I have applied to two groups on Facebook, Lafrowda 2016-2017 and Exeter's Freshers week 2016-2017. I have applied twice already but they won't accept me. Is anyone in those groups and knows how we get in please? I'd really like to get in there!!!
Thanks!!!
Reply 1672
Original post by libby_swan97
Hey guys! I'll be staying in Holland Hall block D. Does anyone know about Fresher's Week and if we need to buy tickets? I haven't heard anything about it!

I heard there was something going on, Project EX I think and you need to buy tickets. There are events every night and when you buy a ticket, you get a wristband and you can attend all events of Project EX.
There are also events set up by the university but I'm not sure they have released the agenda for this week yet.
Original post by sleepysnooze
I'm a exeter vet and I'm coming for my last year in september
if anybody wants to know anything more in detail just message me
exeter is quite big and confusing at first, at least in my opinion

and remember:

clubs (show up at about 10 if you don't worry about potential queues. in that case, go for maybe 9. obviously find the clubs via google maps. you're also going to want to buy as few drinks inside the clubs as possible as they charge more there than usual - so drink up before entering):
1 - the lemon grove: very school-disco in its vibe but its drinks aren't expensive usually. you can get stamps here. stamps = getting in and out after you've walked out.
2- unit 1: it's all right - the club has become pretty lazy at policing the forged tickets these days. go there on tuesday nights.
3- timepiece: it's basically unit 1's competitor club - go there on wednesdays. its smoking area is much better than arena's and you can actually get a stamp there so that's its edge against unit 1.
4- cavern: my favourite. underground, smaller and more personal (it also has sofas) - it can be a bit expensive sometimes. worth it though. very colourful and much more tolerable music than the usual clubby garbage that is only listen-to-able when you're smashed. also, you can get stamps here too.
5- mosaic: ****. don't go.
6- cellar door: this place I actually haven't been to as it's apparently quite new - it's always selling out so it must be all right. it's down at the quay which is far away from the main residential zone.
7- the vault: a gay club. you can go if you're straight though. but be careful because you might come out thinking "I shouldn't have done that..."

bars:
the imperial (wetherspoons): s'all right but not really my kind of place - a bit too restaurant-y
hole in the wall: s'all right - better than the "impy" imo
the black horse: s'all right - the outside area is the best bit - the staff (from my experience) can be a little snippy
the odd fellows: quite good
walkabout: goodish
the ram: goodish
the chevalier: nah
the king billy: nooooooo
the firehouse: ehhh, personally I'm not a fan but I know a lot of people who are. it's good for food, if you have the money (i.e. pizza)

studying when all the PCs in the library are taken (this is quite important):
there are some rooms people don't know about for PCs:
1) the amory building on the ground floor on the right as you go in has a few PC rooms, but you need your student ID as your key card
2) the old library (the basement library) area has more PCs
3) the harrison building has PCs oddly in the corridors on the upper floors
4) the careers zone (on the ground floor of the forum building) has some PCs usually free to use

some more minor details:
don't buy stuff from the marketplace shop (the big shop on the forum ground floor) - it's overpriced. go upstairs to the guild shop instead. slightly cheaper.
if you have a book and it's been "reserved" suddenly (via email message) by somebody else, that *doesn't* mean you have to give the book to the library immediately - you actually get until the book is actually due. it's very misleading in the email.
if you're doing a humanities subject, "jstor" and google scholar are your friends. also, typing "pdf" after a term on google can also be helpful for sources. if you're doing law, "elawresources" is a miracle, and "westlaw" is the best "official website" for law cases imo.
the end of year ball ("the enchanted garden ball" )is actually totally **** and I don't recommend anybody go there. it's hilariously bad and overpriced - buy tickets and then sell them for a profit to suckers instead. just suit up on the day, take a group photo with your friends, and then claim you went just to seem like you're in with the cool kids when they see the pics on facebook. also, on that note: get tickets to the club events in fresher's week and get your "friends" (housemates/flatmates) to go too.
buy your groceries from a big corporate shop like tesco or sainsburys - not the co-op. the co-op is more expensive for worse quality products.

Can you buy club event tickets for fresher's when you arrive / on the door rather than having to pre-buy them online before you get there?
rah rah rah
Original post by unAntillais
Can you buy club event tickets for fresher's when you arrive / on the door rather than having to pre-buy them online before you get there?

yeah but if the online tickets are sold out (if it's even an event you can buy online tickets for) then there will be a queue for miles, basically
Original post by sleepysnooze
yeah but if the online tickets are sold out (if it's even an event you can buy online tickets for) then there will be a queue for miles, basically

Oh fairs, thanks
Anyone getting the Project EX wristbands- not sure if some of the events look a bit dead or not?
Reply 1678
Hey guys!
I'm going to be studying geography at Exeter, and have my accomodation confirmed at Birk's Grange village townhouse, block N
Can't wait :biggrin:
Hey,

I applied for accommodation some time in April and got the grades for Exeter so have been confirmed. I still haven't had my all important "welcome email" though about accommodation and IT log ins etc. I definitely have the grades and have had a few emails and a text message from Exeter saying I have got in. Has anyone else not yet got there accommodation or the welcome email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending