The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
me im coming to play in this thread yay

im jane, ello :biggrin:

im restarting my access this sept seeing as had to drop out in jan this year but the lovely peoples at salford uni interviewed me anyways and gave me an offer for radiography deferred till sept 2012 so here i am yay :biggrin:

if anyone wants any info bout the interview/application etc stuff at salford feel free to give me a shout cant recommend them enough they were lovely to me :biggrin: especially when the other unis either didnt reply or gave me a one line go away email haha .....
Hey everyone, I am starting in Radiography in September at Uni of Cumbria (Lancaster).

I was a reapplicant and over the two years I applied I have been made offers from Derby, Bangor, Liverpool, BCU and Uni of Cumbria.

If you have any questions about personal statements or applications and interviews for any of the uni's above I will try my best to answer.
Once I start I will also do my best to answer questions about the course and uni of Cumbria.
Hi
I would like to apply for the medical radiology course 2012, i have a degree (business studies), so need to know whether i would be eligible for nhs bursary/ funding as i have already received help previously. Any ideas? i have tried contacting everyone and no definate answers.
Reply 43
Original post by rosemary123
Hi
I would like to apply for the medical radiology course 2012, i have a degree (business studies), so need to know whether i would be eligible for nhs bursary/ funding as i have already received help previously. Any ideas? i have tried contacting everyone and no definate answers.

I'm in same boat an yes u can get NHS bursary n tuition fee paid for coz it's separate from student finance. Students can apply for a non means tested loan from student finace to but as we already hav degrees i think we only qualify for bursary n no loan. Hoping I'm wrong lol
Reply 44
Original post by janesies
me im coming to play in this thread yay

im jane, ello :biggrin:

im restarting my access this sept seeing as had to drop out in jan this year but the lovely peoples at salford uni interviewed me anyways and gave me an offer for radiography deferred till sept 2012 so here i am yay :biggrin:

if anyone wants any info bout the interview/application etc stuff at salford feel free to give me a shout cant recommend them enough they were lovely to me :biggrin: especially when the other unis either didnt reply or gave me a one line go away email haha .....

So they made an offer without u even finishing ur access?? Bloody hell, don't knw how u managed that but weldone! I'm guna apply derby bcu salford Cumbria and hartford. Went to open day at derby yesterday, what a fantastic campus.
Reply 45
Original post by razzmatazz rach
Hey everyone, I am starting in Radiography in September at Uni of Cumbria (Lancaster).

I was a reapplicant and over the two years I applied I have been made offers from Derby, Bangor, Liverpool, BCU and Uni of Cumbria.

If you have any questions about personal statements or applications and interviews for any of the uni's above I will try my best to answer.
Once I start I will also do my best to answer questions about the course and uni of Cumbria.

I mite hav to take u up on this more towards the time coz I got my heart set on derby:smile: glad u got ur place sorted tho, wot a rollercoaster it's been hey. All unis are willing to consider my application based on degree but derby wana see relevant recent study in past 2 years, spoke to admissions tutor and we agreed i shud do level 4 anatomy an physiology, said as long as I just finish the course I'll be ok to be considered. There were only me n 2 other lads there on open day, just surrounded by girls, let's hope there's a bit of positive discrimination lol
Reply 46
Original post by FXX
Another thread for me to follow :tongue: I finish my course in February, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Hey, I'm looking into doing radiography next year or take a gap year and then go. What sort of questions do they ask during the interviews? Also in your personal statement did you write a lot about your work experience etc?
Is the majority of the course physics? As I didn't do this at A level, so to be quite honest, it isn't my strongest point :colondollar:
I do Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Environmental Science (dropping this year though). Do you think these are decent subjects?
One last thing, is the course 50% placement and 50% exam? Because I've found I'm better at practical based assesments, and I struggle a lot in exams... I tend to make myself too nervous :banghead:

Thanks!
Reply 47
Original post by BeckyBirdy
Hey, I'm looking into doing radiography next year or take a gap year and then go. What sort of questions do they ask during the interviews? Also in your personal statement did you write a lot about your work experience etc?
Is the majority of the course physics? As I didn't do this at A level, so to be quite honest, it isn't my strongest point :colondollar:
I do Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Environmental Science (dropping this year though). Do you think these are decent subjects?
One last thing, is the course 50% placement and 50% exam? Because I've found I'm better at practical based assesments, and I struggle a lot in exams... I tend to make myself too nervous :banghead:

Thanks!

Heyya. The interview questions are fairly standard for the most part, as I explained here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=33822898&postcount=32

I didn't write much about my work experience in my personal statement. The PS is about you as a person, so reflect how the work experience may have altered your perception of the role, how it's made you even more keen, how well your personality fits in with that kind of job, etc. Unless things have changed you don't have enough characters to ramble on about what you saw in any detail. You also want to open it up a bit so the interviewers can ask you how you got on. I'm sure the people who are just about the start can help out a little more though, it's been four years since I wrote my statement!

Most of the course revolves around biology and practical skills. The physics is there but you don't need to know it in detail.

Those subjects are great, especially if you can get your best grades in biology and chemistry.

It's half and half, yes. The academic side isn't all exams though. There are essays (of which there are a few different styles), presentations, posters, and some unis have one or two group work modules. If exams aren't your strong point there are other opportunities that might work better for you.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by FXX
If you're anywhere near the south east, Maidstone Hospital should let you do your experience under 18. I did mine when I was 16, and I've seen a few others come and do theirs while I've been a student there.

OMG youre a lifesaver- i live in north west kent like 20 miles from there! But im sure i looked on the site and it said only over 18's .. but ill look again and call them if i have to.

How far in advance did you apply? ....Thankyou!
Reply 49
Original post by hello123450
OMG youre a lifesaver- i live in north west kent like 20 miles from there! But im sure i looked on the site and it said only over 18's .. but ill look again and call them if i have to.

How far in advance did you apply? ....Thankyou!

Can't remember exactly, maybe a couple of weeks? The lady who deals with that sort of thing works Weds-Fri so it'll be best if you phone up then and go in one of those days as well. That way you'll see a bit of everything.
Just wondering, how important is chemistry to do Radiography... most Uni's dont ask for it but do you think they prefer it. I got a U in my AS chem, i hated it.. and obv dropping it.
However i am continuing Bio so i guess thats alright..?
x
Reply 51
Just wondering, how important is chemistry to do Radiography... most Uni's dont ask for it but do you think they prefer it. I got a U in my AS chem, i hated it.. and obv dropping it.
However i am continuing Bio so i guess thats alright..?
x

I think you'll be ok as long as u have one science, some may ask for two and if I recall correctly from what I was told, only one uni asked specifically for A level biology, the rest just said a science subject. If I was I would revisit some of the websites of unis ur interested in as there has been about a 40-60 points increase across the board in entry requirements, prob coz they will get more applicants with tuition fees goon up and this course being free
Original post by FXX
Can't remember exactly, maybe a couple of weeks? The lady who deals with that sort of thing works Weds-Fri so it'll be best if you phone up then and go in one of those days as well. That way you'll see a bit of everything.

Oh, i see.. i just need it for October half term hols so i got plenty of time :smile:. I rang up today and explained about uni etc and she said its fine being 17 & she'll send an application form by e-mail, so hopefully that'll be fine.. She did seem surprised about how Darenth Valley didnt allow student under 18 when i told her that id already tried there but hey ho,
so glad i asked for hospitals on here or i dont think Medway would have even crossed my mind!
Reply 53
Oh, i see.. i just need it for October half term hols so i got plenty of time :smile:. I rang up today and explained about uni etc and she said its fine being 17 & she'll send an application form by e-mail, so hopefully that'll be fine.. She did seem surprised about how Darenth Valley didnt allow student under 18 when i told her that id already tried there but hey ho,
so glad i asked for hospitals on here or i dont think Medway would have even crossed my mind!

:biggrin: So you going Maidstone or Medway then? Either way you'll see a lot of different things, in October I think the first and second years are on placement so you'll be able to talk to them too.
Original post by FXX
:biggrin: So you going Maidstone or Medway then? Either way you'll see a lot of different things, in October I think the first and second years are on placement so you'll be able to talk to them too.

I rang Medway, so hopfully theyll let me in there! and about students placements- that would be great, especially to ask about the course itself!
- also,, ive just looked at your profile and you study Radiography? Which uni are you at? and what grades did you get at alevel :smile: ?
Reply 55
I rang Medway, so hopfully theyll let me in there! and about students placements- that would be great, especially to ask about the course itself!
- also,, ive just looked at your profile and you study Radiography? Which uni are you at? and what grades did you get at alevel :smile: ?

I'm at Canterbury Christ Church. Maidstone is one of my placement hospitals :tongue: I only got ACC at A-level after a bit of a cock-up, but at the time they only wanted CC for entry so I didn't bother retaking.
Original post by FXX
I'm at Canterbury Christ Church. Maidstone is one of my placement hospitals :tongue: I only got ACC at A-level after a bit of a cock-up, but at the time they only wanted CC for entry so I didn't bother retaking.

ohh yeah, im considering applying there mainly because i wouldnt have to move out and it would save a ton of money! also theyre asking for bcc now! should be okay though but i got a D in bio AS =/ so im realllyyy hoping i can push that to a B at least by retaking (idk if thats possible) haha.

i have a few Q's if you dont mind?
-is the course v. demanding?
-do you get a huge work load so you have no time for anything but studying?
-are you glad you're doing the course? :smile:
and is canterbury a nice place to study- the facilities teaching aspect? (i think ill go have a look around too)
Reply 57
ohh yeah, im considering applying there mainly because i wouldnt have to move out and it would save a ton of money! also theyre asking for bcc now! should be okay though but i got a D in bio AS =/ so im realllyyy hoping i can push that to a B at least by retaking (idk if thats possible) haha.

i have a few Q's if you dont mind?
-is the course v. demanding?
-do you get a huge work load so you have no time for anything but studying?
-are you glad you're doing the course? :smile:
and is canterbury a nice place to study- the facilities teaching aspect? (i think ill go have a look around too)

- Some bits are tough but if you manage your time well it's quite easy
- Placement can tire you out a lot but apart from that if you can time manage, there's plenty of time for other things
- Yep
- They don't offer it at the Canterbury campus anymore, only at Medway. The facilities there are adequate for studying. For radiography-specific stuff, they have a standard x-ray room that'll be familiar to anyone from an x-ray department, and there are plenty of IT resources available, though the library is a bit thin on radiography material.

I think people make the mistake of looking for unis with the most up to date x-ray equipment, but the truth is you learn how to use it on placement. Whether you have an old or new machine, the theory you learn in the x-ray room at uni is still the same.
Hi,

I have an interview for a radiography course at teesside uni on wednesday. Does anyone have any tips and advice?
Reply 59
Original post by firestar101
Hi,

I have an interview for a radiography course at teesside uni on wednesday. Does anyone have any tips and advice?

You already have an interview how did you manage that? we dont even send off our ucas applications till next month yet at college!

Latest