The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by takethyfacehence
Without being bothered to look it up, from what I know, the Bible and possibly the Qur'an dictate that a woman is unclean and everything she touches is unclean whilst on her period. Perhaps the reasoning here, with this girl, is that there's no point showering when on your period because you are unclean anyway, and then you can properly purify/cleanse yourself only when you've ended the period? I mean, it's BS anyway, but just trying to think of reasons behind it. It certainly isn't dirty TO shower! Does sound like common sense has been unceremoniously chucked out of the window here. How disgusting, and unpleasant for people around her. :frown:

ps: unless it's unclear, i mentioned the bible and qu'ran and not other holy texts/ religions because they're the only ones i have even a tiny grasp on, and am using them as a general basis for the main religions. no offence intended.

I don't follow most of Hinduism at home at all. A lot of Hindu friends relatives are overly religious, can't even touch the woman or be near them when they're pussy bleeds. Glad this isn't how things work in our household, wouldn't go by with normal life as usual. Is v. sad thinking about it, such a natural thing can cause pain to others around them. If I think people are OTT into their own ikkle odd world which is unreasonable, simply don't want nothing to do with them. Am sure cleanliness is encouraged though, regardless of if a period is dirty, it is natural and unstoppable. Most people I was raised around, are too religious to a point where they don't even know WHY they follow certain acts but just do. I'm one of the rare ones in my area/ old high school who isn't fundamental. My middle class mixed gender 6th form acquaintances were proper compared to crap girl's high school before, regardless of religious background/ culture, did as they wanted and thought straight.

The most funniest part was when I said to the girl who freaked out that I wash when on period... I said, you do know that people have sex when on their period too?!!! She was flabbergasted :eek: Was fun seeing her reaction though :rolleyes:. I don't do that but many people do meh.
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous

It has NOTHING to do with religion or culture, she's just unhygienic. I don't even see how you even thought for a second that this could be cultural. Although i have heard before that you're not supposed to shower when on your period =/ dunno though
It appears more as though she just has an aversion to water. :erm:
She sounds like somebody that it would be fun to buy a mooncup for.
Reply 44
ok thanks for the opinions :redface: :smile:

I have close liberal friends who are Muslim but not that practising, they wash properly. One of them is v. Western and she is hygienic. I knew a lot of people in high school who smelled of period blood though who were Muslim, the girl who I'm talking about was brought up the same way of thinking said none of her friends shower when on their periods.

We aren't supposed to go near kitchen/ god when on period, in Hinduism. I think it is to give the women a rest, when on their period? A lot of Hindus I know, have to sit far away when their pussy bleeds. I don't ever follow that but know many who carry that out, someone else has to cook instead when they're on period. Also when I was a kid, mum told me not to wash hair on Wednesday as it is bad luck, didn't follow it after primary school though. :redface: If I ever found out this was the same with Hindus/ Indians I know, sure as heck would think they're freaks too for not washing on period.

I can understand maybe there is an issue with being on period, in different culture/ religions. Didn't think it would be this drastic, unreasonable and I can't get my head around that :s-smilie:

Lol wut? PLEASE don't tell me that Hindus actually follow that bull****.
Reply 45
TSR: always generating excuses to be racist.
Personally, I can't do a full wash when I'm on my period. I've tried before and the blood ended up dripping down my leg. Not pleasant.

What do you expect? The blood will drip down the leg.
I don't understand your excuse, when you have a shower and the blood goes down your leg just wash it off. I don't mean to sound rude, but I wonder why you can't wash it.
Reply 47
Yea, I try to ignore most people from my poor chavvy area/ people from my ****ty high school who aren't educated and are full of stupid crap. She's falls in both criterion unfortunately, my girl's highschool that I went to and area...

I'm not a practising Hindu at all nor that cultural. The way am brought up at home is v. liberal, Western approach. She's Muslim Pakistani, 22 and most people in my high school/ crap area are like that. So it is like being on a different planet. I felt woozy, sick thinking about how this is even possible, to not wash for that long, let along when not on period. I wash once a day in the morning, wash hair every 3/4 days. When on period, make sure to thoroughly wash myself longer, each time using toilet paper/ changing pad use tissues and wet wons properly.

I looked at her fingers and she had chewed them, even the skin on all her fingers including nails was gone, I told her wtf that's gross?! Your skin is hanging, she said she likes chewing on her finger skin. :s-smilie: I put two and two together, from her not washing when on period and thought, well I can't imagine the amount of germs on you. She's always claiming to be sick practically everyday, takes sickies loads and is always late. I'm going to stop sharing food with her, freaks me out how many more people do this though too. Ew!

Dad said that's ****ing gross. He said though that in our religion/ culture, the woman are seen as inferior though when on period etc. He said our religious isn't AS silly as Islam but some parts are as with most religions, if you really read into religious books but they're old fashioned. Even Mum was like, don't listen to stupid people who come out with crap, that's gross but just leave it be and don't pay attention to that sort of dumbness.

This has nothing to do with being a Muslim. In fact, Muslims are supposed to wash five times a day (depending on what they've been doing) just for praying, as well as washing the private areas after going to the toilet. There is nothing stopping women from washing whilst on their period in Islam. You're not allowed to pray, and I don't think you're allowed to touch the Qur'an either. Women have to take a shower after their period finishes too in order to clean themselves properly for praying again (and reading the Qur'an).
Reply 48
I don't think there's anything wrong with if people wanted to pray when on their period but know that it isn't allowed, not even being near gods. Why not?

OK I admit, I took the religious thing far. Cleanliness is usually important, surely being clean regardless of when being on a period, defies feeling less filthy? Yea she's religious; but preventing the notion that being on a period is dirty, by atleast trying to clean oneself would make more sense though.

If there's a correct amount of water/ soap it would clean enough. Perhaps there's another ideology though that the water would spread the period, which is inevitable but it would dilute and wash it away rather than sticking to the skin for days anyway.
Reply 49
I put a new tampon in before getting into the shower so nothing "drips" but that way I can get a full clean and then once I am dry change it again..
I don't shower more when I'm on, I always shower once or twice a day anyway.
Reply 50
Original post by hali0112
that is ridiculous, if that is what they believe! having your period is such a natural thing. In Hinduism, I know you are not meant to pray or go into temple but how can a religion consider you to be dirty? If you didn't have periods you wouldn't be able to have kids. and that is the most natural thing about life. why do they think that that is dirty? :rolleyes:

No idea. I agree it's twisted. But when muslim women are on their period, they can not pray. They claim it is because Allah is trying to help them as they it will cause too much discomfort to pray, however, Allah has instructed that even ill people must pray if they can. Even very ill people are given a choice,whereas women on their periods are outright forbidden as they are considered to be 'impure' and dirty at that time
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Med_Geek
This has nothing to do with being a Muslim. In fact, Muslims are supposed to wash five times a day (depending on what they've been doing) just for praying, as well as washing the private areas after going to the toilet. There is nothing stopping women from washing whilst on their period in Islam. You're not allowed to pray, and I don't think you're allowed to touch the Qur'an either. Women have to take a shower after their period finishes too in order to clean themselves properly for praying again (and reading the Qur'an).

Well said:yy: and you are right women can't touch the Qur'an whilst menstrurating.
Reply 52
Being Indian, I think it is a cultural thing as I have heard rumours of this (I'm not sure what race she is but that's what it sounded like).
I heard stuff like this before I started my period but I've never paid any attention to it; I've always showered as normal.
Right, either you're actually trolling, or that particular girl is just dirty, cos I'm pretty sure cleanliness is very strongly valued in Islam. I mean, they have shower heads in every single toilet cubicle in the UAE, because they feel it is so important to clean yourself properly after using the toilet, not just with tissue paper. Surely that must say something!
/Shudder.

That is grim. Doesn't she feel like crap? I sure would...eugh.

Oh and when I went to India, they're obsessed with cleanliness. They think the whole Western idea of wiping ourselves after going to the toilet is disgusting - a lot of them shower their lower halfs after relieving themselves (in the airport they had these mini showers next to each toilet). My aunt, when she went to the Middle East, say they do the same there. They're very hygiene-conscious.

So I think that girl is just rank.
(edited 12 years ago)
never heard of such a thing. Obviously, she was brought up by someone unfamiliar with hygiene.
Reply 56
Tbh, I heard all sorts of nonsense when in my area and high school where there were only girls. Never paid attention to it until I started working in my area for the past few months. It is a totally different way of life. I remember people in high school all the girls were under peer pressure to act certain ways, had stories. One goes how touching milk when on period, can turn it into yoghurt. All sorts out crap.

Really, my 1st period was a nightmare. In year 7, must've been 11yrs old? I handled it well considering I didn't know why periods happened. Came home straight away and told my mum, who is quite superstitious/ sometimes is influenced by other Indian Hindu woman that are religiously fundamental. Mum was absolutely dramaticly outraged that I started my period. Instead of explaining it, she ranted at me for ages and more than once said that I best not come home pregnant! If I come home with a big fat belly then I'm out of the house, so watch out with what I do with myself, she won't let me back in if I turn pregnant and have teenage pregnancy etc. It went on and I was scared ****less, my sister who is older told mum on both occasions where I got the "best not come home pregnant" lecture, that I need a sex ed class from her as my girls' school didn't teach me (many of the Muslims weren't happy about wanting to be taught about sex, it wasn't allowed.) Even during GCSEs, my sister told mum that I need to learn about it all before it is too late. Mum had a v. strange, uncalled for approach and would rather threaten me. :s-smilie:

A period is seen as bad in the East. I openly don't care and discuss periods if feeling like doing so. At weddings or social gatherings, if around religious people, I can't even mention periods, is supposed to be too gross. On Diwali, a close friend of the family whispered to me that she can't greet/ touch me due to being on her period. I said who cares, greeted her anyway. Then she was like oh ok lol :tongue: :smile:
Reply 57
What the fudge!!

Thats not right. Not showing for 4 days is disgusting, let alone when your bleeding out like a virgin sacrifice. :/

Someone once told me your not suppose to shower when your on your period because it makes you bloated and blow up like a baloon. Their theory was while showering air gets trapped in your vajayjay :teehee: What BS!
I shower 3 times a day when my period first starts.
Reply 59
thats pretty grim. i'm obsessed with showering even more than usual when i'm on my period!
definatly don't think its a cultural thing though, she just sounds a bit gross.

Latest