The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance

Scroll to see replies

Hanshen, did you get rejected from REF? Can you please let us know your profile. Bizzle are you currently on the course? If you are do you know approximately what percentage of students have a 2.1? Can you also elaborate on your profile a little - thanks.
Reply 81
Nope, I was rejected from ISO, which is run by JBS so slightly different. Was just illustrating that grades don't seem to be everything they look for.

My profile is: 1st class honours and top of my year throughout my undergrad, including a few prizes. In addition I have had 2 publications, which is fairly unusual. Have been quite involved in student welfare and politics and held/hold a variety of positions (set up various things at the uni, eg. a student led mentoring scheme, sustainability awards etc. I took a couple LSE summer school modules last year. I've played sports to a national level also (but didn't mention that in my application). Can't think of much else but I'm sure there is more. I'm not really sure what else I could have done to get an offer. I'm disabled so perhaps that held the application back? Who knows.
Reply 82
Original post by wallstreettrader
Hanshen, did you get rejected from REF? Can you please let us know your profile. Bizzle are you currently on the course? If you are do you know approximately what percentage of students have a 2.1? Can you also elaborate on your profile a little - thanks.

I got an offer this year so I don't know. I do have some finance experience which probably helped my application.
Reply 83
hello all,

i have submitted my MPhil Land Econ REF application in end of september...i still haven't heard anything back from them, it is almost mid-march..

am i pretty much toast? so many people have their conditional already..

need some counseling here, will they hate me if i called BOGS about my application?

thanks all. just so anxious
Original post by vet4snak
hello all,

i have submitted my MPhil Land Econ REF application in end of september...i still haven't heard anything back from them, it is almost mid-march..

am i pretty much toast? so many people have their conditional already..

need some counseling here, will they hate me if i called BOGS about my application?

thanks all. just so anxious

I think a lot of people start to get offers from end of march/april. what is your profile mate?
Reply 85
Original post by vet4snak
... so many people have their conditional already..

Actually, I am not sure if any people got their conditional offers for REF yet.
Couple of people mentioned status change to "under consideration by BoGS", that is all.
Reply 86
Original post by wallstreettrader
I think a lot of people start to get offers from end of march/april. what is your profile mate?

Hopefully I will hear something from them soon.

My profile:
- University of British Columbia (Top 3 of all Canadian Universities)
- Bachelor of Commerce with Honours - Finance option
- UK equivalent of 2:1 (very very close to First- actually the Graduate office said I could apply to Judge's MSc in Finance since my grades are so close to a UK First)
- Internships at a fund management company
- Worked in World Expo 2010

still debating if i should ring the department...

please post if anyone of you have news of your offer status!

good luck everyone!
Reply 87
I rang admissions today and they said to contact the department. Rang the department and no one picked up, so I sent an email. My application says it is under review by the department and I have received expiring offers from other Universities. I don't think it can hurt to contact the department if you have to make a decision on another offer. I know they get it all the time, but it can't hurt to reiterate your interest and let them know that you need a response.
Reply 88
Original post by Bizzle D
I got an offer this year so I don't know. I do have some finance experience which probably helped my application.

by this year ure referring to an actual offer for 2012/13? if so, congrats! i really hope there are replies for the rest of us in the next few weeks....

for lse offer holders. just to double check, there arent any expiration dates for offers right? not till end july at least. and no need for deposits too... these guys are pretty humane surprisingly :biggrin:
Reply 89
Original post by gigi2183
... and I have received expiring offers from other Universities.

It certainly does not hurt to know, but FYI:

Unless they ask a deposit, you can feel free accept any offers you want. It is not binding and they are fully prepared and understanding if you accept and than decide not to go. Here is a quote from one of my offer emails (University of Edinburgh):

The system automatically gives you a deadline to accept but if you require an extension, or even miss the deadline just drop me an email. (The reason we have this deadline is simply to have an idea of the people who are seriously considering enrolling, and it is not a "contract." If you are serious about coming, then simply "accept" and if for one reason or another you cannot make it, just email to let us know - we will fully understand.)

The same thing is mentioned on LSE website, in fact they even have an option for you to decline the offer AFTER you already accepted it on line! It also allows for giving a specific reason, such as "I got another offer and decided to go with a different university".

So, in other words, there is NOTHING wrong with accepting multiple offers and than choosing one at the last moment, they expect it (which is why they give out more offers than students will actually attend) and they are ok with it.

Of course, if there is a deposit- that is a different matter, then you will lose a deposit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Unfortunately, Cass wants a 2000 pound deposit by April 2 and it's non-refundable. Not to mention, my offer got lost in cyberspace and I only found out about my offer 2 days ago. They won't give me an extension to make my decision in light of my offer getting lost so I have less than 2 weeks to make a decision and fork over 2000 pounds.
Reply 91
Unfortunately, Cass wants a 2000 pound deposit by April 2 and it's non-refundable. Not to mention, my offer got lost in cyberspace and I only found out about my offer 2 days ago. They won't give me an extension to make my decision in light of my offer getting lost so I have less than 2 weeks to make a decision and fork over 2000 pounds.

Oh, this is a problem.
I guess you will have to wait until April 2, and then make a decision.
If you have not heard back from Cambridge, and there is no status change (status change to "under consideration of BoGS" is as good as having an offer), and if you can not get a definitive answer (or at least indicative answer) from them, then you will have no choice but to gamble. If you are not sure about your Cambridge chances - pay the deposit. If Cambridge does accept you after all, you will have to decide whether 2000 pounds is worth switching from Cass to Cambridge (in my opinion it is, but you may disagree, of course).

Good luck in any case. I think you might get something from Cambridge in the next two weeks, but there is no guarantee, of course.
Reply 92
Original post by gnalk
by this year ure referring to an actual offer for 2012/13? if so, congrats! i really hope there are replies for the rest of us in the next few weeks....

for lse offer holders. just to double check, there arent any expiration dates for offers right? not till end july at least. and no need for deposits too... these guys are pretty humane surprisingly :biggrin:

Yes the offer is for 2012/13. Looking forward to it and best of luck to those waiting to hear.
Reply 93
I wrote to the department to see where they might be with my application and this is what I got back:

Dear Candidate
Your application was received into our worklists electronically from the Board of Graduate Studies on the 15th March. We are currently experiencing very high volumes of applications for this course and you are not likely to receive any decision until late April /early May due to the heavy workload of the academic staff and the Board of Graduate Studies.
Kind Regards
Glynis Norwood

I thought this information may be useful to some folks.
Reply 94
Original post by janjanmmm
Oh, this is a problem.
I guess you will have to wait until April 2, and then make a decision.
If you have not heard back from Cambridge, and there is no status change (status change to "under consideration of BoGS" is as good as having an offer), and if you can not get a definitive answer (or at least indicative answer) from them, then you will have no choice but to gamble. If you are not sure about your Cambridge chances - pay the deposit. If Cambridge does accept you after all, you will have to decide whether 2000 pounds is worth switching from Cass to Cambridge (in my opinion it is, but you may disagree, of course).

Good luck in any case. I think you might get something from Cambridge in the next two weeks, but there is no guarantee, of course.

I agree with you on forfeiting the deposit. It's just a good chunk of change. We shall see...
Reply 95
I wrote to the department to see where they might be with my application and this is what I got back:

Dear Candidate
Your application was received into our worklists electronically from the Board of Graduate Studies on the 15th March. We are currently experiencing very high volumes of applications for this course and you are not likely to receive any decision until late April /early May due to the heavy workload of the academic staff and the Board of Graduate Studies.
Kind Regards
Glynis Norwood

I thought this information may be useful to some folks.

This is what I got from the telephone conversation with Mrs. Norwood as well...seems like we can't expect any thing until May..:s-smilie:
Reply 96
Does anyone know how program at Cambridge compares to LSE?
Reply 97
Hello, I have recently applied to the Mphil in Real Estate Finance at Cambridge, and my application is currently sitting on "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies" does anyone know what my chances are? I understand the graduate board next meet on the 10th so I’ll have to wait till then but I wanted to gain a rough idea of my chances.

Also, to those who have also applied/got offers what colleges have you applied for? Do any of the colleges have large numbers of REF students?

Thanks
Congrats on your offer omega? Could you please share your profile with us? The wait is killing :frown:.
Reply 99
Original post by Omega85
Hello, I have recently applied to the Mphil in Real Estate Finance at Cambridge, and my application is currently sitting on "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies" does anyone know what my chances are? I understand the graduate board next meet on the 10th so I’ll have to wait till then but I wanted to gain a rough idea of my chances.

Also, to those who have also applied/got offers what colleges have you applied for? Do any of the colleges have large numbers of REF students?

Thanks

This means that you definitely will get an offer, unless you lied on any part of your application.

Your application will sit at the "BoGS" stage for approximately 6 weeks (its just paperwork by the office) after which you should be given a conditional/unconditional offer.

I'm not an REF student but I applied for EP in Land Economy dept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending