The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being physically attractive is a good thing!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by chapman.
Is it racist if I say to me black girls are unattractive?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Bit general, I'm certain you haven't seen every black girl, there are so many different types of 'black', that it's a little silly to group all black girls in one category.
Original post by mimx
I'd rather have a not ugly, but not super attractive, reliable/respectable girl for the long term and to start a family with.

Plus a procession of hot girlfriends on the side.

Why you gotta be so black and white about it?

Exactly my point.

I'm not hot. I'm not super attractive. I'm not pretty. I'm not beautiful.

I'm ugly - so I will never get a look in.
Reply 42
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
Size 10 girls are hotter than size 18 girls.
If you are fat, you are by default unhealthy.

Yeah but what if the size 10 girl has a very ugly face?
Reply 43
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18260133

Words can't even begin to describe how many things are wrong with this report.

So basically it's just a bunch of women whining on about how it's not right that people are worried about their bodies etc. Well no, it is right.

We have far too many chubby people in this country who have no sense of class or style. It's important that we do everything we can to reduce this, not just for health reasons but because good-looking people generally have better lives than ugly people.

Good looking guys get girls. Good looking girls get guys. This is because guys like femininity and girls like masculinity. These are biological facts.

Yet we now have this brigade of idiots who go round telling people that things like education and ambition are more important, and that appearance doesn't matter. Of course, education is important and it's important that people aspire to be successful.

However, telling kids appearance doesn't matter is flat out lying.
If I had the choice between a size 8 beauty who was unemployed, and a size 24 whale who worked as a doctor, which am I going to choose. The size 8 beauty, of course. It's all very well having brains but nobody wants to be seen walking down the street with a whale.

To put it bluntly, anyone who has ever been to Paris (or Madrid, or Rome etc) will have observed just how much more healthy and stylish both men and women are over there. Compare that to the stream of lazy, piggish people you see walking around British cities.

Some of the report's other recommendations are so moronic they actually make me want to scream.

- More than 95% of people on diets regain the weight they lose
Woah, this rubbish is actually in a government report? Everybody has a diet. Your diet is what you eat. Advice to people: if you are overweight, get down the gym and eat less. That's all. If you can't be bothered, get liposuction. You don't need government reports telling you what to do.

- The need for mandatory body image and self-esteem lessons for children at primary and secondary school
How about teaching them to read and write?

- Requiring advertisers to run long-term campaigns that reflect consumer desire for "authenticity and diversity"
No, when I open up a magazine, I want to see normal women in the size 8-12 range. I don't want to see airbrushed anorexic zombies, nor do I want to see whales. Stop encouraging these perverse body images and tell people that they should be a sensible weight.

-Introducing screening for potential cosmetic surgery patients
Most cosmetic surgery is justified. Men like breasts, not puffy nipples. Stop discouraging women from making themselves look hot. Plus, this is damaging to the cosmetic surgery industry, so the economy gets into an even worse state.

-The possible amending of the Equality Act to include appearance-related discrimination
So now they want to take my freedom of speech away? If someone is fat, I'll tell them they're fat. Being fat is unhealthy and bad for the overall image of our society, and it's important that fat people lose weight.

What is wrong with you?! You can be overweight and attractive, that's why there are plus size models who, I can guarantee, are much better looking than the average size 8 woman. Attractiveness is subjective, however, beauty can be 'measured' using tools such as the 'Golden Ratio Mask' which uses facial proportions to calculate how beautiful a person is facially.
Original post by im so academic
I agree with you OP - appearance is the most important thing.

I say we scrap the education we have now and the academic side should just be about the basics of English and Maths with a new curriculum that places a lot of emphasis on appearance and how you present yourself to others, e.g. *hours* of sport every day and elocution lessons.

You can only study academic subjects if you are deemed "good enough" for the opposite sex.

Who actually gives a **** about you if you're not beautiful? It's the truth.

I bet I'm going to get a lot of posts saying about "it's not the most important thing", "it's personality that counts". But who will the posts be written by? Women and desperate men.

Any decent man would want a hot girl.

You know, I genuinely thought you were being sarcastic right up until the second to last paragraph. For shame (or rather, it would be if you had any).
And seeing as beauty is subjective, your last statement is redundant.

And yeah, you're right, it is the personality that counts. I'd rather have an "average" chick with a shedload of personality than a playboy model who has the personality of a wet towel.

OP: Why do you seem to think that being physically attractive must mean that you need to be able to either have a 6 pack or fit inside a size 8 dress with no problem?

Physical attraction has many other variants than just weight.
Yeah, people who weigh 30 stone should lose weight, this is hardly new news. But condemning everyone who is "chubby"? :lolwut:
You find me one girl who doesn't have a single bit of cellulite on her, in any shape or form, and I'll eat my metaphorical hat.
Reply 45
If you're attractive but were strange looking during childhood then you can end up living your whole life feeling insecure about your appearance and deeply unhappy with your self image.
Reply 46

I'm offended. I'm trying my best to be a decent man and I'm quite fond of middle-aged, male politicians.
Reply 47
I remember reading somewhere once that taller, good-looking men make more over their life-span than other men. I guess this doesn't lie solely in the work place either; they would tend to get better looking, possibly more successful girlfriends and wives as well.
Reply 48
Exactly my point.

I'm not hot. I'm not super attractive. I'm not pretty. I'm not beautiful.

I'm ugly - so I will never get a look in.

Do you want a hug or something?

Ask your mum then.
I agree with you OP - appearance is the most important thing.

I say we scrap the education we have now and the academic side should just be about the basics of English and Maths with a new curriculum that places a lot of emphasis on appearance and how you present yourself to others, e.g. *hours* of sport every day and elocution lessons.

You can only study academic subjects if you are deemed "good enough" for the opposite sex.

Who actually gives a **** about you if you're not beautiful? It's the truth.

I bet I'm going to get a lot of posts saying about "it's not the most important thing", "it's personality that counts". But who will the posts be written by? Women and desperate men.

Jesus Christ, this again? Well, seeing as you're ugly(you've said it on multiple occasions), maybe you should stop caring about looks and get to know guys more. You're 16. You might meet some mature men and women in a couple of years and finally dismiss this delusion. Yes, there are superficial people but it isn't ALL about looks. If there were two women and one was good looking and the other not, ceteris paribus then yes, most people probably would go for the better looking one but everyone is different. I'm sure there are some people out there who are uncomfortable with 'perfection', I expect because in their eyes it's probably a lot to live up to but this is just a model. In the real world if you're good looking you don't tend to need to make up for anything in other areas(such as personality) because at a young age, like yourself, what's on the surface tends to be considered more important. If you're good looking you're given an easy ride by your peers. This tends to change as you mature. Without a personality good looking people are nothing.

Edit: Childish, childish delusions. Please tell me of this playboy model with a shedload of personality because I hate to break it to you, sweetie, but she doesn't exist.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by QTpie118
What is wrong with you?! You can be overweight and attractive, that's why there are plus size models who, I can guarantee, are much better looking than the average size 8 woman. Attractiveness is subjective, however, beauty can be 'measured' using tools such as the 'Golden Ratio Mask' which uses facial proportions to calculate how beautiful a person is facially.

I can guarantee they're more attractive...

Attractiveness is subjective...

You know I'm sensing a disturbance in the force here.
Reply 51
Yes, in order to be happy for the long term, a guy needs a hot girl.

You speak with such certainty. What conclusive evidence do you have to support this claim?

It seems to me that many guys would prefer a short-term relationship with an attractive girl (note: I didn't say skinny - two different things), but the long-term stability (with mutual love) of that relationship will more than likely be determined by other factors not to do with physical attraction (i.e. personality). That's why guys don't always end up marrying and living with hot girls for the rest of their lives - they may prefer a slightly less attractive girl in favour of better personality and company.
Original post by Drunk Punx
You know, I genuinely thought you were being sarcastic right up until the second to last paragraph. For shame (or rather, it would be if you had any).
And seeing as beauty is subjective, your last statement is redundant.

What if you're not hot to ANYONE?

And yeah, you're right, it is the personality that counts. I'd rather have an "average" chick with a shedload of personality than a playboy model who has the personality of a wet towel.

Bull****. You would rather have a playboy model WITH the shedload of personality.
Reply 53
Original post by mimx
I can guarantee they're more attractive...

Attractiveness is subjective...

You know I'm sensing a disturbance in the force here.

Ahhh, let me re-phrase 'I can guarantee they're more beautiful' :smile:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18260133

Some of the report's other recommendations are so moronic they actually make me want to scream.

- More than 95% of people on diets regain the weight they lose
Woah, this rubbish is actually in a government report? Everybody has a diet. Your diet is what you eat. Advice to people: if you are overweight, get down the gym and eat less. That's all. If you can't be bothered, get liposuction. You don't need government reports telling you what to do.

- The need for mandatory body image and self-esteem lessons for children at primary and secondary school
How about teaching them to read and write?

- Requiring advertisers to run long-term campaigns that reflect consumer desire for "authenticity and diversity"
No, when I open up a magazine, I want to see normal women in the size 8-12 range. I don't want to see airbrushed anorexic zombies, nor do I want to see whales. Stop encouraging these perverse body images and tell people that they should be a sensible weight.

-Introducing screening for potential cosmetic surgery patients
Most cosmetic surgery is justified. Men like breasts, not puffy nipples. Stop discouraging women from making themselves look hot. Plus, this is damaging to the cosmetic surgery industry, so the economy gets into an even worse state.

-The possible amending of the Equality Act to include appearance-related discrimination
So now they want to take my freedom of speech away? If someone is fat, I'll tell them they're fat. Being fat is unhealthy and bad for the overall image of our society, and it's important that fat people lose weight.

First point: If the phrase "on diet" is used, the person writing has not gotten the meaning of the word diet wrong, they are assuming that the people reading are smart enough to realise that a person "on a diet" has changed what they eat to lose weight.

Second point: Schools teach multiple things.

Third point: Most of the women you see in magazines ARE airbrushed to look thinner. That is one of the points of this report is people are getting eating disorders because they think they should look like something that is physically impossible and not in any way healthy.

Fourth point: How is voluntarily having yourself carved open to have lumps of potentially toxic plastic put inside you because of what other people think a good idea?

Fifth point: The equality act is about refusing to hire people based on some trivial factor like gender, or sexual orientation. All this means is that you wouldn't be allowed to not hire a qualified person because you thought they were fat.
Original post by najinaji
I'm offended. I'm trying my best to be a decent man and I'm quite fond of middle-aged, male politicians.

I'm talking about heterosexual men. Homosexual men are, obviously, not sexually attractive to girls; it's not something I can comment on.
Reply 56
Original post by charlotte-rose
There's a difference between being physically attractive and being slim, although the two are usually linked they do not necesserily go hand in hand.

There is a difference between being "slim" and being healthy.
Original post by alexs2602
Jesus Christ, this again? Well, seeing as you're ugly(you've said it on multiple occasions), maybe you should stop caring about looks and get to know guys more. You're 16.

I'm 15, but how can I stop caring about looks when it's the most important thing for a girl in order to get a guy?

You might meet some mature men and women in a couple of years and finally dismiss this delusion. Yes, there are superficial people but it isn't ALL about looks. If there were two women and one was good looking and the other not, ceteris paribus then yes, most people probably would go for the better looking one but everyone is different. I'm sure there are some people out there who are uncomfortable with 'perfection', I expect because in their eyes it's probably a lot to live up to but this is just a model. In the real world if you're good looking you don't tend to need to make up for anything in other areas(such as personality) because at a young age, like yourself, what's on the surface tends to be considered more important. If you're good looking you're given an easy ride by your peers. This tends to change as you mature. Without a personality good looking people are nothing.

But without good looks, personality is nothing. It's to the extent that sometimes I think "what's the point in education when it's your appearance that matters the most?", "what's the point of life in itself when it's your appearance that matters the most?" etc.

This is because I know I can never be happy if I don't, you know, experience what it is like to be with a boy. It just will never happen. For me, life is not worth living. I'm only here for the sake of it.
Reply 58
What if you're not hot to ANYONE?

Why don't you post some pictures, I'm in to ugly girls I promise.
Original post by Xotol
You speak with such certainty. What conclusive evidence do you have to support this claim?

It seems to me that many guys would prefer a short-term relationship with an attractive girl (note: I didn't say skinny - two different things), but the long-term stability (with mutual love) of that relationship will more than likely be determined by other factors not to do with physical attraction (i.e. personality). That's why guys don't always end up marrying and living with hot girls for the rest of their lives - they may prefer a slightly less attractive girl in favour of better personality and company.

But they would still be attractive.

I'm not attractive at all. At all.