The Student Room Group

Manchester 2016 applicants medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
Hey guys, I'm currently an offer holder. I'd be grateful if anyone could link me to any 1st year Manchester med students who are happy to help and provide information. Thanks!

Just finished first, feel free to ask.
Original post by WannabeDoctora
thanks and congrats! :smile: can i ask where else you applied please and whether you had interviews/offers from them. Also how did you revise for the ukcat im actually really worried about it?

Sheffield and St Georges offered me an interview and got rejected from Keele but since manc was my first choice I didn't got to the interviews. I used the 600 questions book and kaplan book to do some practice other than that I just did the practice questions to the official website. I suggest identify your weakest section and work on it for instance if you're weak at VR then work on trying to read passages faster and getting key info. As long as you practice and be calm for the day I'm sure you'll do fine.
Sorryfor the late reply
Original post by RedLeaf
Sheffield and St Georges offered me an interview and got rejected from Keele but since manc was my first choice I didn't got to the interviews. I used the 600 questions book and kaplan book to do some practice other than that I just did the practice questions to the official website. I suggest identify your weakest section and work on it for instance if you're weak at VR then work on trying to read passages faster and getting key info. As long as you practice and be calm for the day I'm sure you'll do fine.
Sorryfor the late reply

Did you go on the kaplan course, if so, would you reccommed it (did you find it heplful and was it worth the price?)
Original post by WannabeDoctora
Did you go on the kaplan course, if so, would you reccommed it (did you find it heplful and was it worth the price?)

I didn't go to any courses
Original post by zed963

is there a peng mother ****er called zahid?
Original post by Jaska
is there a peng mother ****er called zahid?

How's life Lyndon?
hey im applying to manchester this year do any of you know what the ukcat cutoff was for 2016 entry
Original post by medicapplicant
hey im applying to manchester this year do any of you know what the ukcat cutoff was for 2016 entry

2660 for normal applicants
2560 for applicants with a WP+ flag

(Bear in mind these totals were for the 2016 entry UKCAT. The 2017 entry UKCAT has changed the total as it's out of 3 sections I believe...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RedLeaf
GCSE: 1A* 7A 4B
AS: AAAB (maths, bio, phy and chem respectively)
A2: doing maths bio and chem
UKCAT: 677.5 Band 2
Work experience: 6 Months in a care home, 2+ years in a charity shop volunteering, attended a medical summer school and went to a surgery conference
if you have any questions please feel free to ask

Hello :smile:
So I'm applying to manchester this year and it;s my first choice I just love it so much
My 'stats':
8 A*s, 2 As at GCSE
4 As at A level
670 UKCAT band 2 :frown:

Do you think I should still apply since my UkCat isn't that great?
Original post by future_doctor_
So I'm applying to manchester this year and it;s my first choice I just love it so much
My 'stats':
8 A*s, 2 As at GCSE
4 As at A level

Well done on your amazing stats. Last years cutoff was around 665. A UKCAT of 670 is very risky and no one can tell if you'll be above the cutoff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by future_doctor_
My 'stats':
8 A*s, 2 As at GCSE
4 As at A level

You have great GCSE's and A-Levels so you should apply to uni that use them greatly like birmingham, cardiff, bristol. The main thing is to apply to your strength. have you considered doing the BMAT? your UKCAT is risky considering last years cut off but it could go up or down. last year they hinted on the cutoff at the open day so it might be worth not sending off your application till then to be sure that you will make it. If you have anymore questions please ask
Original post by RedLeaf
You have great GCSE's and A-Levels so you should apply to uni that use them greatly like birmingham, cardiff, bristol. The main thing is to apply to your strength. have you considered doing the BMAT? your UKCAT is risky considering last years cut off but it could go up or down. last year they hinted on the cutoff at the open day so it might be worth not sending off your application till then to be sure that you will make it. If you have anymore questions please ask

What cut-off did they hint at?
Original post by VARRRDAQ

Last years cutoff was 665. The won't be able to even guess a cutoff at this point since UKCAT scores have no yet been submitted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

at the open day in October they said the cutoff would be 665, so it might be worth either going or asking someone who went what they said their cutoff would be. the open days for this year are Saturday, 1 October 2016 and Saturday, 8 October 2016

at the open day in October they said the cutoff would be 665, so it might be worth either going or asking someone who went what they said their cutoff would be. the open days for this year are Saturday, 1 October 2016 and Saturday, 8 October 2016
I really need a genuine opinion...
GCSE: AAABBBBBB (retook English Language to get it from a C to an A)
AS: ABA
A2: A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics)
I've been scouting for 10 years
I've been a sporting club for 3 years
I've been volunteering in a caring environment for 2 years
I've been working ever since I was 16.
Right now, I literally think my past self has screwed my whole future up.
As long as you meet their a level and GCSE requirements, you should be fine
If you get a decent UK CAT you're more likely to get a interview
But if you do get one, then the performance at interview probably matters most.
Original post by !play
I really need a genuine opinion...
GCSE: AAABBBBBB (retook English Language to get it from a C to an A)
AS: ABA
A2: A*A*A (Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics)
I've been scouting for 10 years
I've been a sporting club for 3 years
I've been volunteering in a caring environment for 2 years
I've been working ever since I was 16.
Right now, I literally think my past self has screwed my whole future up.

That's better than I did. And I'm currently revising for Sem1 exams in January, calling myself a medical student :biggrin:

Is medicine your true passion? If I tried to deter you, would you stand by your passion? If so, that will show in the interview, and you'll be fine.
Original post by zed963

whats a typical week like? how much spare time do you get? im wondering how often i can come home
Typical week is like 15 hours of timetabled stuff and you should be doing 25 hours of independent work (in reality you do about 20)

I went home every weekend in first semester and I go every few weeks in second semester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending