The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Freshers 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
I'm really worried about moving to York. I've been reading up on all the moving in stuff and it keeps saying that you need a passport which I don't have and can't afford right now.

Have you contacted the university? We were told we needed one and I don't think I've ever been asked for it, and I was never told why it was needed. If you message the York Admissions service they should be able to put your mind at ease :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Is it weird for family come to set you up at uni? My gram and aunt want to come and I can't really say no for multiple reasons. I'm an american so I was hoping the airfare would dissuade them, but it looks like it might not. I'm just worried that I'm gonna start off at York looking kinda weird.
Reply 582
Original post by viscratama
Is it weird for family come to set you up at uni? My gram and aunt want to come and I can't really say no for multiple reasons. I'm an american so I was hoping the airfare would dissuade them, but it looks like it might not. I'm just worried that I'm gonna start off at York looking kinda weird.

From what I understand, especially because most unis in the uk don't allow cars, it's actually very normal!!! York even has parent activities for the moving in day!!!
Original post by Aph
From what I understand, especially because most unis in the uk don't allow cars, it's actually very normal!!! York even has parent activities for the moving in day!!!

Thank you! That's a big relief.
Original post by Aph
I'm really worried about moving to York. I've been reading up on all the moving in stuff and it keeps saying that you need a passport which I don't have and can't afford right now.

Hello,

Could I suggest you contact our Admissions team to discuss this: [email protected]

They'll be happy to help with any concerns you might have.

thanks,
Mark
Original post by University of York
Hello,

Could I suggest you contact our Admissions team to discuss this: [email protected]

They'll be happy to help with any concerns you might have.

thanks,
Mark

can you buy a hes east/kimberlow lane parking permit if you live in constantine/langwith/goodricke???
Can't believe I haven't seen this for 6 months sorry! Did you finally get the offer for York? I haven't found anyone else studying history and philosophy just yet :frown:
Original post by Arjunray2016
Can't believe I haven't seen this for 6 months sorry! Did you finally get the offer for York? I haven't found anyone else studying history and philosophy just yet :frown:

I did get in! It took them ages to reply though - I sent in my application around the 17th of December and didn't get a response until the end of February! But I ended up accepting my offer from King's College London because I liked the campus and course structure more! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zoedisley
can you buy a hes east/kimberlow lane parking permit if you live in constantine/langwith/goodricke???

Hello, I'm afraid parking on the campus is quite limited.

You can get a parking permit for Campus East if you are a resident of one of the above colleges, as long as you are one of the following:

a Health Sciences student on placement

a HYMS student on placement

a PGCE student living on campus

an MA Social Work and MA Social Policy and Social Work student

a BA Social Work (not Social Policy) years 1 & 3

or a White Rose Scholarship Student

or you are resident in couples accommodation in Goodricke college provided your partner has to travel to study or work off campus

Further to this there are also Special Circumstances Permits and Disability Permits:

Special Circumstances Permits - If you do not meet any of the above criteria but have medical or welfare issues which mean use of a car is essential then you can apply for a ‘Special Circumstances’ permit by putting forward a case to Student Support Services. Please email [email protected] for more information.

Disability Permits - Students who are ‘Blue Badge’ holders can apply for a University Disability Permit which allows parking in all disabled bays across campus. Students with disabilities but who are not ‘Blue Badge’ holders can apply for a Disability Permit by providing medical evidence to Student Support Services email [email protected] or tel: 01904 324140

More information is available on our Travel and Transport pages:
http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/estates/transport/

regards,
Mark
Original post by University of York
Hello, I'm afraid parking on the campus is quite limited.

You can get a parking permit for Campus East if you are a resident of one of the above colleges, as long as you are one of the following:

a Health Sciences student on placement

a HYMS student on placement

a PGCE student living on campus

an MA Social Work and MA Social Policy and Social Work student

a BA Social Work (not Social Policy) years 1 & 3

or a White Rose Scholarship Student

or you are resident in couples accommodation in Goodricke college provided your partner has to travel to study or work off campus

Further to this there are also Special Circumstances Permits and Disability Permits:

Special Circumstances Permits - If you do not meet any of the above criteria but have medical or welfare issues which mean use of a car is essential then you can apply for a ‘Special Circumstances’ permit by putting forward a case to Student Support Services. Please email [email protected] for more information.

Disability Permits - Students who are ‘Blue Badge’ holders can apply for a University Disability Permit which allows parking in all disabled bays across campus. Students with disabilities but who are not ‘Blue Badge’ holders can apply for a Disability Permit by providing medical evidence to Student Support Services email [email protected] or tel: 01904 324140

More information is available on our Travel and Transport pages:
http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/estates/transport/

regards,
Mark

hi, thank you for the reply, can you park in the kimberlow car park via pay and display on weekends? without the permit?
Original post by zoedisley
hi, thank you for the reply, can you park in the kimberlow car park via pay and display on weekends? without the permit?

Hello again,

Yes, you can park there without a permit at weekends. Parking in the car park is free from 1800 until 0800 (6pm until 8am the following morning) and at weekends and Bank Holidays for non-permit holders.

Those without a permit would have to use the Pay and Display option at other times

Mark
Reply 591
Hello, does anybody know when it will be possibile for students to move in their rooms? I got an offer and I'm going to soon confirm my place at York, also I applied for accommodation as soon as it opened. I know that room offers are only going to start at the end of August, but I would like to know the exact day I will be able to move in: I am an international student who has to book the plane and it would help me to book it in advance!
Reply 592
Original post by rosiemm
Hello, does anybody know when it will be possibile for students to move in their rooms? I got an offer and I'm going to soon confirm my place at York, also I applied for accommodation as soon as it opened. I know that room offers are only going to start at the end of August, but I would like to know the exact day I will be able to move in: I am an international student who has to book the plane and it would help me to book it in advance!

International students move in on the 23rd and 24th. I think it depends on the accommodation because they run a staggered move in.
Reply 593
Original post by Aph
International students move in on the 23rd and 24th. I think it depends on the accommodation because they run a staggered move in.

Thank you for the answer :smile:
hiyah...I didn't know if anyone had any idea when the latest lectures/seminars/ all of those type of things would be at York? I'm looking at hours for working and as we won't be given times until we get there i didn't know if anyone had any idea. Is it possible for lectures to be past 5/6 pm or do they tend to finish before? Thanks :smile:
Reply 595
Original post by JsJsxox
hiyah...I didn't know if anyone had any idea when the latest lectures/seminars/ all of those type of things would be at York? I'm looking at hours for working and as we won't be given times until we get there i didn't know if anyone had any idea. Is it possible for lectures to be past 5/6 pm or do they tend to finish before? Thanks :smile:

Having just looked at some sample timetables 5:30 seems to be the latest for sciences. Have you also looked at clubs and activities you might want to do because they are always later.
Hey, offer holder for YLS here (AA). Does anyone know if it's possible to be given the same room for all 3 years of study?
Reply 597
Original post by random-ravenclaw
Hey, offer holder for YLS here (AA). Does anyone know if it's possible to be given the same room for all 3 years of study?

Definitely not. Different flats are for first years and older years. Other than maybe a wheelchair user there is no chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Anyone here going to be studying Linguistics with Spanish?
Original post by JsJsxox

If you're on Hes West then lectures/seminars can go on until 6pm, and 5:30pm on Hes East. I think they usually try and avoid giving you too many late finishes, but trust me, a 5pm lecture on a Friday evening is not the best thing that was on my timetable last year :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest