The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I'm applying for 2014 entry and currently a final year BSc Medical Genetics student. Here's what I've got so far:

GCSEs 2006: 8As, 1B (overall 93%)
GCEs 2009: 3Cs Bio/Chem/Phy >>> THIS IS WHERE EVERYTHING WENT DOWNHILL
BSc First Year: Departmental Silver Award for Best Performance
BSc Second Year: First class
UKCAT: 662.50 > VR 630, QR 670, AR 620, DA: 730 >>> Took the test with no practice, just attempted the sample test online
Work experience: 4 weeks and 2 weeks at a hospital as a pre medical intern - shadowing and the likes, receptionist at a gynecologist's clinic for 4 weeks.

I would love to study Medicine but am not sure of my chances. I am happy to apply for A100 rather than A101 if that would improve the chances of me getting an offer.

Trouble is you can only choose four options, would anyone help me with thinking this through considering my low-ass grades?
So initially I was applying for these universities.

Leeds,
Manchester
Newcastle
Hull/York

I achieved an average of 625, 2500 in my UKCAT. I am predicted A*A*AA in Chemistry Maths, Biology and Physics. I have 7 A*/A at GCSE including Maths, Science and english.

Advice please?
I am thinking of now...
Leeds,
Mancheser
Keele
Hull/York

Any advice appreciated!
Original post by AJFShaz
So initially I was applying for these universities.

Leeds,
Manchester
Newcastle
Hull/York

I achieved an average of 625, 2500 in my UKCAT. I am predicted A*A*AA in Chemistry Maths, Biology and Physics. I have 7 A*/A at GCSE including Maths, Science and english.

Advice please?
I am thinking of now...
Leeds,
Mancheser
Keele
Hull/York

Any advice appreciated!

Yeah personally I would say don't apply to Newcastle, they only look at UKCAT for interview. And HYMS and quite UKCAT heavy (if you get 700 UMS you get an automatic interview) but I'm not an expert so do some googling haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
why is barts put in the unis to avoid?? has a cut off of 2400
Original post by NancyRoseC

okay this is years old apologies

Yes the lowest ukcat score interviewed this year was around 2400 but you need exceptional tariff score to balance that out.
So realistically with a poor ukcat it is sensible advice to avoid barts unless the person is an exception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but you'd need a tariff prediction of like... 750+ along with that UKCAT!
Original post by Phteven
Yes, but you'd need a tariff prediction of like... 750+ along with that UKCAT!

I have a tarrif of 700 with 2550 ukcat.. any thoughts?
Hey! I did my UKCAT and my scores are:
VR 650
QR 760
AR 670
DA 660
Band 1

Average of 685

Which unis should I avoid? Which unis might consider me ?

I haven't taken the GCSEs. But my certificate of 10th standard is good. I've got the best grade possible in every subject.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, would someone like to inform me on how to calculate this whole tariff thing for Barts.. i have absolutely no idea!!!
I have a tarrif of 700 with 2550 ukcat.. any thoughts?

I think they have exampled of competitive scores on their website :smile:
Original post by Medboy100
Guys, would someone like to inform me on how to calculate this whole tariff thing for Barts.. i have absolutely no idea!!!

Google ucas tariff that's how they do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1372
Cardiff and Aberdeen don't look at UKCAT too heavily so would be good options. Also don't be put off taking the BMAT-it's not as bad as what people think!
I got a good score in my other sections but my situational judgement was very low (band 4). My mom has been scolding me this entire time. Please someone help
Original post by Atif Rauf
I got a good score in my other sections but my situational judgement was very low (band 4). My mom has been scolding me this entire time. Please someone help

Haha, Asians... Asian myself sod family honour!
Hey, I was wondering where I might be considered as a graduate entrant, I am only going to apply to undergraduate courses.

I have 645 (2580) in the UKCAT and I am predicted either a 2:1 or 1:1 at my degree in Anatomy.
However my school results are a bit gash: AABCC at SQA Higher with the B in Chemistry and C at Biology. Then CCD at Advanced Higher with a C in Biology again.

Don't ask how I'm doing a biology course, and actually doing well at it... This is why I think they shouldn't look at graduate's school grades! I am a different person now!
Help please? :smile:
I am Scottish applicant

Higher:AAAAB
hopefully get AAA at advanced higher/higher in the coming week.
UKCAT:636
really really really really really bad

583 D: I'm not even sure about life any more. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending