The Student Room Group

Bath or Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Tateco
Too close to call, can't wait to see where you choose!

Doesn't help that Bath opened up their accommodation applications on Monday, means I have to make my decision sooner rather than later! :woo:

Original post by Irenicis
well i got rejected by ucl and lse.

cant go to Britain anymore.

wont be able to see you guys.

I'm so sorry to hear mate :frown: Do you not want to go to Bristol or Bath?
Reply 81
Why does this
imply this

if one has offers from Brisstle and Barth?
Original post by mrt23498
Why does this
imply this
if one has offers from Brisstle and Barth?

Some people assume that Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial are the only UK universities worth going to :unsure:
Reply 83
Original post by Tsunami2011
Some people assume that Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial are the only UK universities worth going to :unsure:

:yep: :ms:
Reply 84
Original post by Tsunami2011

Well they'd be wrong...
Reply 85
Original post by mrt23498
Well they'd be wrong...

True that.:cool:
Reply 86
Original post by Yash13
True that.:cool:

We could all be positive and say 'Oh, as long as I can do well enough in uni, everywhere's the same!'

Fact is that if i'm using my parents' money to pay the international and living expenses in a strong currency

and that employers may think otherwise...

maybe the City investment banks do know Bristol or Bath but in my country, not much people does. All they know is the ones mentioned up there.

all these is considering that i have a significant interest to go to both unis, but stuck between Bristol and Bath. I'd really like to go Bath but i may not do the placement...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87

wont be able to see you guys.

Why did you make this thread if you had no intention of going to either Bath or Bristol?
Reply 88
Original post by Tateco
Why did you make this thread if you had no intention of going to either Bath or Bristol?

I was seriously considering them but I'm too confused now.

plus the fact that my entire class is going to London...
Reply 89
I was seriously considering them but I'm too confused now.

plus the fact that my entire class is going to London...

I'm sure you'll still be able to make friends in Bath or Bristol, I'm probably going to firm Bath and be the only one in my school to be going to the Westcountry, but it's an opportunity to make new friends! Something which should be seen as good thing not as a bad thing.

At this rate I'll probably firm Bath over the next few days :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Hemzo
I'm sure you'll still be able to make friends in Bath or Bristol, I'm probably going to firm Bath and be the only one in my school to be going to the Westcountry, but it's an opportunity to make new friends! Something which should be seen as good thing not as a bad thing.

At this rate I'll probably firm Bath over the next few days :smile:

good for you my friend.

it's not about making new friends or what. I'm happy to do so! i wanna make so many new friends. just that while my friends all go to top unis...
Reply 91
good for you my friend.

it's not about making new friends or what. I'm happy to do so! i wanna make so many new friends. just that while my friends all go to top unis...

You're not alone... I have all A* predictions yet I have the same situation and I am going to Bath. You need to make the right choice for you rather than worry about where you're friends are going. It took me long to accept this too.
Reply 92
Original post by Yash13
You're not alone... I have all A* predictions yet I have the same situation and I am going to Bath. You need to make the right choice for you rather than worry about where you're friends are going. It took me long to accept this too.

it's really really hard...i know i shouldnt have screwed up the PS like that.

we know how much difference in terms of job prospects it's gonna be....
Reply 93
it's really really hard...i know i shouldnt have screwed up the PS like that.

we know how much difference in terms of job prospects it's gonna be....

Yeah same, I kept on thinking like that for a whole week until I drove myself to insanity and had to take a step back.

I wouldn't say that! It's only a hurdle if you make it one. It's more about snobbery amongst family and friends that annoys me rather than job prospects. In terms of getting a job Bath will prepare you to compete with Oxbridge candidates due to the year of experience. If you have excellent A Levels and Uni grades and employers is going to think,' Wtf? How did they not get into a higher University? Interview them....' I don't know how it all works but Bath has very strong links with big financial institutions : BoE, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Nomura, PwC etc.

If you want to check this stuff out yourself rather than me convince you look at this: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/scs/started/gradstats/gems/external/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/careers/destinations/2010/econsandpols.pdf

Warwick Prestige >>>>>>>>> Bath Prestige
Graduate Destinations are about equal.

Don't get so swayed by prestige and make a rash decision. See where you will be happy to study for 3/4 years instead. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by Yash13
Yeah same, I kept on thinking like that for a whole week until I drove myself to insanity and had to take a step back.

I wouldn't say that! It's only a hurdle if you make it one. It's more about snobbery amongst family and friends that annoys me rather than job prospects. In terms of getting a job Bath will prepare you to compete with Oxbridge candidates due to the year of experience. If you have excellent A Levels and Uni grades and employers is going to think,' Wtf? How did they not get into a higher University? Interview them....' I don't know how it all works but Bath has very strong links with big financial institutions : BoE, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Nomura, PwC etc.

If you want to check this stuff out yourself rather than me convince you look at this: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/scs/started/gradstats/gems/external/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/careers/destinations/2010/econsandpols.pdf

Warwick Prestige >>>>>>>>> Bath Prestige
Graduate Destinations are about equal.

Don't get so swayed by prestige and make a rash decision. See where you will be happy to study for 3/4 years instead. :biggrin:

thanks...

im not too sure whether i wanna go for the placement year though...i applied L100 but the representative from Bath said that i could still go for it.

btw, Bristol seems to have more to offer in terms of fun :P
Reply 95
thanks...

im not too sure whether i wanna go for the placement year though...i applied L100 but the representative from Bath said that i could still go for it.

Destinations of the recent Bristol graduates: http://www.bris.ac.uk/careers/grads/dept/deptstats/econ10.asp
Reply 96
thanks...

No problem. Oh if you want to do the normal course I would say there is no/marginal if any difference between Bath and Bristol.

Bristol night-life is excellent I have heard but Bath is a much safer and aesthetic place. Depends on what you want. I prefer being in the safer place with the option of going to Bristol (10 minutes away). Also, I love the idea of a placement year and earning between 18-34k (can be above and below this). The link Hemzo provided shows there's is little difference in terms of graduate placement.
Reply 97
Original post by Yash13
No problem. Oh if you want to do the normal course I would say there is no/marginal if any difference between Bath and Bristol.

Bristol night-life is excellent I have heard but Bath is a much safer and aesthetic place. Depends on what you want. I prefer being in the safer place with the option of going to Bristol (10 minutes away). Also, I love the idea of a placement year and earning between 18-34k (can be above and below this). The link Hemzo provided shows there's is little difference in terms of graduate placement.

actually, what's a UK's student's concept of a night life?

is it like in australia where clubbing, binge drinking?

I like Bath for the sports stuffs, healthier i supposed haha. Just worried it'll get boring for the 3 to 4 years ^^
Reply 98
actually, what's a UK's student's concept of a night life?

is it like in australia where clubbing, binge drinking?

I like Bath for the sports stuffs, healthier i supposed haha. Just worried it'll get boring for the 3 to 4 years ^^

Well clubbing, drinking, house/electro/dance music etc, but I get what you mean in that you do want to enjoy yourself at university and you should since you're going to be living in that area for a good 3-4 years and you only go university once.

There are socials to Bristol and the Students Union alongside BEST (Bath's Economics society) who try and ensure that there's always something to do at university so you don't get bored. In all honesty, most of it is down to whether you want a city or campus university, each has its pro and cons. Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever choice you make.

Bristol has gyms, football pitches etc aswell so don't worry about that :tongue:
Reply 99
If the only thing drawing you to Bath is because you like the city, choose Bristol, because Bath's literally 10 minutes away on the train.

Quick Reply