The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooambitious
Does queens have management tutors? Or do MEMers go elsewhere, I wonder why they offer MEM and not E&M, hmm any ideas?

It may be that they have a College Lecturer for Management, who could be a fellow at another college but is 'borrowed' just to teach management to the MEMists.

I expect it comes down to funding.

I have a feeling to offer a subject, a college must have a fellowship in that subject and they are considerably more costly to a college than a college lecturer. I expect MEM falls under the domain of the Materials or Economics fellows.

I could be entirely wrong.

But my college has just announced it's going to offer a new course and the reason why they can is because they've had a large donation from an alumnus for the specific purpose of funding a fellowship in this subject.
Original post by Poppyxx
Queen's doesn't do E&M, but it does offer MEM (Materials, Economics and Management) which is a different course.

"Please note that Queen’s offers the great majority of courses taught at Oxford, but NOT Archaeology & Anthropology, Classical Archaeology & Ancient History, Earth Sciences, Economics & Management, Engineering, Geography, History & Economics, History of Art, Human Sciences, and courses involving Computer Science or Theology."

Oriel definitely doesn't do E&M either.

At least your list is shorter now!

I think they stopped E&M only very recently. I have third-year friends at Queens' studying for their E&M finals right now.
Original post by Poppyxx
It may be that they have a College Lecturer for Management, who could be a fellow at another college but is 'borrowed' just to teach management to the MEMists.

Talk about a journeyman lecturer.

http://georgebowen.com/teaching-2/
Original post by dogmatichurricane
I think they stopped E&M only very recently. I have third-year friends at Queens' studying for their E&M finals right now.

That's interesting. I wonder why they stopped.

Original post by nulli tertius
Talk about a journeyman lecturer.

http://georgebowen.com/teaching-2/

That is a lot of colleges!
Original post by Poppyxx

I expect it comes down to funding.

I have a feeling to offer a subject, a college must have a fellowship in that subject and they are considerably more costly to a college than a college lecturer. I expect MEM falls under the domain of the Materials or Economics fellows.

I could be entirely wrong.

But my college has just announced it's going to offer a new course and the reason why they can is because they've had a large donation from an alumnus for the specific purpose of funding a fellowship in this subject.

HI,
Any one knows how many students that Trinity take for doing E&M each year. It's nowhere to be found :frown:
Original post by angela9x0x
HI,
Any one knows how many students that Trinity take for doing E&M each year. It's nowhere to be found :frown:

We believe that our community of typically three Economics & Management (E&M) students a year, along with typically a further three each year doing these subjects with either Engineering (EEM) or Materials (MEM), is the perfect size.

http://www.trinity.ox.ac.uk/pages/the-college/staff/victor-seidel.php
Original post by Poppyxx
We believe that our community of typically three Economics & Management (E&M) students a year, along with typically a further three each year doing these subjects with either Engineering (EEM) or Materials (MEM), is the perfect size.

http://www.trinity.ox.ac.uk/pages/the-college/staff/victor-seidel.php

Thank you so much. Between Trinity and Exeter, can you suggest me one to do E&M
Original post by hideousnight
I tried to put this in the Colleges board but it won't let me :s-smilie:

So basically, here's the situation: I applied to Wadham College this year, got an interview and then got rejected. I absolutely adored Wadham and it's made me want to re-apply to Oxford next year (please don't discuss whether or not I should be re-applying because I've already decided etc). However, I've been told that I shouldn't apply to Wadham again because they are massively oversubscribed for English (which is what I'm applying for) and also if they realise I was rejected they could instantly reject me or compare me to how I did and if I'm not hugely better reject me :frown:

So, here's what I want from a college:

Pretty. Yeah yeah probably a really bad reason to pick somewhere but I don't want to stay in a big ugly building when all of the other colleges are pretty :frown:

Good location. I liked where Wadham was... I imagine they all have a good location but I would not be happy being really far away from everything like St Hugh's.

Left-wing Would not be happy in a college full of Rahs etc, I'm fairly left-wing (though not too politically active).

High proportion of state-school students For the same reason as above really.

I just want a fun college like Wadham :frown: help!

Original post by fudgesundae
Highest proportion of state school students:

Merton - 65.9%
Mansfield - 63.7%
Balliol - 63.2%
Hertford - 60.8%
Wadham - 60.6% - already applied there so no for you
Jesus - 60.3%
St Anne's - 58.9%
St Johns - 58.8%
Worcester - 58.7%

I haven't seen all of these but I will say that Balliol, Merton, St Johns and Worcester are very nice. Hertford, Mansfield and Jesus aren't bad either. St Anne's is a modern college so go for that if it is your thing.

Balliol, Hertford, Jesus and Merton are very central. But none of these are far out colleges so all are pretty central.

Ok now for some generalisations. This is where my actual opinion and facts go out of the window and I give into stereotypes. Honestly there will be all types of people at every college but: Balliol is apparently one of the most lefty colleges, Hertford is state schooly and northern, Mansfield is friendly, Jesus is the welsh college, Merton works its undergrads to death, St Johns is extremely rich and has lots of state schoolers.

Hope this helped a little, quote me if you need anything else :tongue:

I'm intrigued. Are state-school proportions, the basis on which you choose a college and make friends therein?
Original post by medic_armadillo7
I'm intrigued. Are state-school proportions, the basis on which you choose a college and make friends therein?

Not sure why I was quoted in, I was simply giving the OP colleges with high proportions of state schoolers as that was one of the criteria for their choice.

Personally, I don't really care. I have been to private school my whole life so don't mind if my college is full of others like me, but a healthy mix is probably best. As it is, the college I shall be attending (results permitting) is something like 55% private school I think.
Not sure why I was quoted in, I was simply giving the OP colleges with high proportions of state schoolers as that was one of the criteria for their choice.

Personally, I don't really care. I have been to private school my whole life so don't mind if my college is full of others like me, but a healthy mix is probably best. As it is, the college I shall be attending (results permitting) is something like 55% private school I think.

Tbh, I wasn't having a dig at you, but I felt that the conversation was slightly inane and I wasn't sure if anyone had picked up on her slightly pedantic and superficial criteria for choosing a college.
Tbh, I wasn't having a dig at you, but I felt that the conversation was slightly inane and I wasn't sure if anyone had picked up on her slightly pedantic and superficial criteria for choosing a college.

oh ok :tongue:

I think quite a lot of people use that as a criterion for college choice. It probably stems from the misconceptions most people have about what kids at private schools are like...

People feel comfortable around their own (in this case people with similar backgrounds), but what they don't realise is that most private schooled children really won't be too different from themselves.
oh ok :tongue:

I think quite a lot of people use that as a criterion for college choice. It probably stems from the misconceptions most people have about what kids at private schools are like...

People feel comfortable around their own (in this case people with similar backgrounds), but what they don't realise is that most private schooled children really won't be too different from themselves.

I suppose, but I think arguably if you want to apply to such an institution as Oxford or Cambridge, you need to lose the poor and ungrounded social paradigms that are based on unfounded preconception of how a person is based solely on the school they went to. If a person, is given a place at such a uni I'd like to think, it's because the admissions tutors saw that a person could think logically and laterally for themselves, not just in subject matters but in everyday life.
I suppose, but I think arguably if you want to apply to such an institution as Oxford or Cambridge, you need to lose the poor and ungrounded social paradigms that are based on unfounded preconception of how a person is based solely on the school they went to. If a person, is given a place at such a uni I'd like to think, it's because the admissions tutors saw that a person could think logically and laterally for themselves, not just in subject matters but in everyday life.

Completely agree.
I know they won't be cheap.. But which is the cheapest? Anyone have any ideas? :smile:
Based on accomodation, food, bursaries etc, I've done lots of research and I'm getting fed up of looking tbh :mad:

Original post by JessicaTSR
I know they won't be cheap.. But which is the cheapest? Anyone have any ideas? :smile:
Based on accomodation, food, bursaries etc, I've done lots of research and I'm getting fed up of looking tbh :mad:

Oxford can actually work out surprisingly cheap! The eight week terms and not paying for accomodation during vacations means my accomodation works out a hell of a lot cheaper than a lot of my friends.

Worcester's cheap for food and you can ask for what grade room you like (some colleges won't let you specify you want a cheap one) though it's the most applied to (someone told me) so perhaps not the best choice if you want the best chance of getting a 'cheaper' college. As far as trying to get a cheaper room goes, if you get an offer it's worth emailing the accomodation person for the college and explaining the situation. Some colleges just make everyone pay the same rate though, independent of how nice the room is.

Oriel is very helpful if you run low on money, I'm sure many others are. If you're struggling, you can appeal to hardship funds and get help. You can also go for the cheapest rooms you want, and there's not usually much competition :tongue:

I don't know any more specifics though, sorry!
(edited 12 years ago)

I actually used to go to a private school... I just imagine that in general the colleges with the highest state school percentage will be more 'down to earth', i.e. no eton rahs...
That's really useful thanks :smile: I hadn't thought about the short terms in regards to accomodation costs so I can see how you would save money in that department!
Original post by hideousnight
I actually used to go to a private school... I just imagine that in general the colleges with the highest state school percentage will be more 'down to earth', i.e. no eton rahs...

(1) your attitude is horrible. Yes, that's right, everyone who went to a public school is a "rah", and not one of them is "down to earth". Really, there'll probably be a stuck up person or two, but otherwise no-one will notice a division between the state school kids and the private schooled kids -- unless you specifically look for it and thereby create it.
(2) "non-state school" is a diverse class. You don't have nearly enough data to pick the college with the fewest public school kids.
*spots chance to advertise own college*

St John's is the richest Oxford college, which means they can afford to makes things cheap for their students: subsidised food, cheap accommodation for all years of the course in the centre of Oxford (some college require you to find private accommodation for at least one year, which will be more costly), £250 yearly academic grant, ability to stay in your room for three weeks in the holidays for free, and other hardship grants for people who need them.

Having said that (as physicsfuntimes said) Oxford is not going to be any more expensive than other universities. To quote from the Oxford Computer Science website (but it all applies equally to other courses):

It is actually cheaper to study at Oxford than at other universities in the South-East. Why?

First, most colleges provide a room in college for all three years of a typical student's course. These rooms are much cheaper than living out of college, because the colleges subsidise the rents by hosting conferences during the vacations. Conference organisers like to come here and spend money because the colleges are pretty; the profits go to keep room prices down.

Second, Oxford has excellent library facilities. Many colleges will give you on long-term loan a copy of every textbook you need, or give a generous book grant, so that you need spend none of your own money on books for your course. Also, college dining halls (though they vary in the standard of cuisine) provide another useful way of saving money.

Third, all UK universities must give at least a minimum bursary money you don't have to pay back to anyone entitled to the full state maintenance grant. Over and above the minimum bursary, bursary amounts differ from one university to another. According to a recent report from the government’s Office of Fair Access, the average bursary for a student receiving the full maintenance grant is around £900 a year. The most selective universities, such as Oxford, tend to offer higher bursaries an average of £1,573 a year for lower income students.

A fourth point is that everything in Oxford colleges, libraries and departments is located in the centre of town, so students do not face the heavy travel costs that sometimes occur in bigger cities.

(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending