The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DannyW94
Can anyone give me a good suggestion for a device of some sort to measure distance covered when running?

I already have an interval timer but it doesn't have a tracker on it :redface:

Garmin watch? Fairly dear but you get what you pay for. I usually just run my route, remember it and enter it on mapmyrun.con post-run.
Original post by DannyW94
Can anyone give me a good suggestion for a device of some sort to measure distance covered when running?

I already have an interval timer but it doesn't have a tracker on it :redface:

Do you have an iPhone? RunKeeper is pretty good - GPS signal can get a bit iffy around tall buildings, but usually is fine.
Original post by rockrunride
Garmin watch? Fairly dear but you get what you pay for. I usually just run my route, remember it and enter it on mapmyrun.con post-run.

I also use a Garmin. Absolutely fantastic watches. Well-made (before the 610 anyway!) and gives you so much more than a typical stopwatch.
Reply 4484
Yay! I ran for 1hr 20min continuously today! :biggrin:
:biggrin:
blimey, just been for a 5k after about 3 months of eating takeaways and doing no exercise and i barely even made it without dying. took me 35 minutes! i used to do it no problem in around 20, really need to get myself back in shape
Reply 4487
never had any problems with my garmin until today.. said the first mile i ran was only 0.81 miles so I had to reset :s it was also incredibly windy today!
Original post by Chrisateen
Went for a run outside today and managed to do 12km in exactly 1hr today :smile:. Also managed to do 13km overall so only 8km to go before I can run a half marathon. Don't know why on earth I'm over 3mins faster outside than on the treadmill though.

Nice one, that's really good. I did 12km in an hour, then the week after 16km at the same pace, then two weeks after that I managed my 1:45 half marathon, so I think you should easily be able to reach that when you get to your race!
Has anyone else entered the VLM ballot for next year?
I have. Looking forward to another 'unsuccessful' magazine this year :biggrin:
Original post by Nichrome
Nice one, that's really good. I did 12km in an hour, then the week after 16km at the same pace, then two weeks after that I managed my 1:45 half marathon, so I think you should easily be able to reach that when you get to your race!

I was just going to aim to do it under 2hours now I'm thinking of changing my time goal. 1hr 45min does sound pretty fast though
Reply 4492
Good to do an hour of continuous run with 4kg wrist weights :biggrin:
I haven't had a proper run in ages, and now I'm poorly.

I need to get my motivation back, otherwise I'll never complete this half marathon! Struggling to keep it going lately :frown:
Has anyone done an ultramarathon before? I'm hoping they'll do this next year as it looks great, but I'm not sure what level of fitness/commitment is required (i.e is it accessible to people who aren't good club runners, who work a 9-5?) Any thoughts welcome.

http://www.thewallrun.com/
Managed a 7.5k-er this morning in the heaving rain. Really need to get my mileage up if I'd gonna do a decent 10k in 19 days time :s-smilie:
Marathon in a few days time! Finding this last part of tapering very frustrating; I come home from class every day just wanting to run :redface: I feel more tired and keep sleeping in past my alarm in the mornings which I never do; is this supposed to happen? :tongue: I'm guessing it's just due to the lack of running being a change from my normal routine. I'll be sure to set an extra few alarms on race day though (not that I'm likely to sleep much the night before anyway).
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
Marathon in a few days time! Finding this last part of tapering very frustrating; I come home from class every day just wanting to run :redface: I feel more tired and keep sleeping in past my alarm in the mornings which I never do; is this supposed to happen? :tongue: I'm guessing it's just due to the lack of running being a change from my normal routine. I'll be sure to set an extra few alarms on race day though (not that I'm likely to sleep much the night before anyway).

It is normal to feel lethargic as a result of backing off your training; as you say your body is not used to it. Rest assured that no amount of running will help you at this point (apart from a light jog if you are more than a few days out, if you must). The only thing is to eat reasonably well, but not too much (you're not burning the same number of calories as you would be in regular training), stay relaxed, and enjoy a mini-holiday before the event!
Reply 4498
Running shoes coming to it's end :frown:
Anyone recommend any decent ones?
Original post by standreams
Has anyone done an ultramarathon before? I'm hoping they'll do this next year as it looks great, but I'm not sure what level of fitness/commitment is required (i.e is it accessible to people who aren't good club runners, who work a 9-5?) Any thoughts welcome.

http://www.thewallrun.com/

Club running is very different to ultra-marathon running. However, a good deal of commitment is probably needed. Whilst 69 miles doesn't sound too far on the face of it (you might think you could walk it in 17 hours or so...), the reality of continuous exercise over such a long period on difficult terrain is very different. 4mph would be a really good average speed, i'd bet.

Having said that, approach it like a 2 (long) day trek, and it wouldn't be too hard. The whole point of an ultra-marathon though is that you try to run it!

I'd like to do one one day, but working on the marathon first! That run does look fantastic.

Latest