The Student Room Group

Do you ever get the feeling that lecturers/tutors don't know their stuff?

This had happened to me on a couple of occasions. For instance, on a question on tracing (problem discussion during lecture slot), the lecturer was stuck for a good few seconds, and was obviously confused (and admitted so) by the figures and the sequencing.

Maybe i am just being overly sensitive. But do fellow forummers have had similar instances?
Reply 1
I have had a couple actually state wrong information a couple of times. Very annoying, especially when their slide had the correct imformation on it!
I also saw someones notetaker (employed by the disbility services as she is dyslexic) taking notes on something, think it was heart conditions, and she got it completely wrong, when both the slides and the lecturer were saying it right.
We told the girl afterwards and said she could borrow our notes if she wanted!
Reply 2
I think a lot of them don't care.
Reply 3
Original post by draikzer
I think a lot of them don't care.

It can't be that bad, can it?!

Anyway, i do get suspicious when a lot of time is spent on group discussion during tutorials; and the tutor doesn't seem to give a proper roundup after that. :rolleyes:
I think it's pretty understandable that your tutor got confused by a complicated tracing question. I'm pretty sure even Lionel Smith (author of 'The Law of Tracing') once said that he wasn't sure he understood it
Reply 5
Original post by Forum User
I think it's pretty understandable that your tutor got confused by a complicated tracing question. I'm pretty sure even Lionel Smith (author of 'The Law of Tracing') once said that he wasn't sure he understood it

Ehh..to clarify my 1st post, it took place in a lecture. The lecturer prepared the question herself, and even had an accompanying slide explaining the figures. The confusion arose when it comes the quantifying (approximately) the numbers, and seeing who gets (or should get what) and the various combination of scenarios. I was a little put off bcos the question looked pretty straightforward (even for me). I have no doubts she can do it, it's just that it is disappointing she didn't sort out the question in her head before lecture starts; this shows lack of preparation. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by apcycles
This had happened to me on a couple of occasions. For instance, on a question on tracing (problem discussion during lecture slot), the lecturer was stuck for a good few seconds, and was obviously confused (and admitted so) by the figures and the sequencing.

Maybe i am just being overly sensitive. But do fellow forummers have had similar instances?

I once asked my lecturer a question on nuisance and she essentially repeated my question back to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending