The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Hey everyone! I'm just curious to know if there are any others out there with similar beliefs to myself or who would consider themselves to be part or these grouups who could share their experiences/beliefs and enlighten me on what it means to you :smile: But first I'll share with you my own pathway:

Before secondary school, I was a mild C of E Christian. I was in the church choir and sunday school. After joining secondary school and learning about Christianity in RE and about how loving the Christian God was, I decided to take it a step further and became confirmed in year 8. I have always loved people and nature and I was amazed at the things 'God' had created. I was young and naive and let's just say I didn't exactly read the small print. Anyway the school I went to was a Catholic school. You can probably see where this is going. We were all forced to do RE for GCSE and we followed a syllabus which basically was all about learning Lukes gospel word for word, then discussing the church's view on situiations in great depth. Oh and looking at crazy American evangelists. As if the syllabus wasn't enough to give me a bad impression of Christianity, after hearing what Catholics had to say about sex, abortion, homosexuality etc, I was outraged. How could the 'loving' God I had come to love through my 'faith' condemn the very people he created? (I also came out as bisexual around this point in time). I will never forget the lesson I ripped the cross and chain off my neck, stood on it and ran out for air. Which, looking back was kinda stupid because the gardens at my school were full of Mary and Jesus statues which made things worse. The God I once loved and admired, hated people like me who were OK with non-marital sex and OK with loving the same sex. I was totally lost. The next few months were the most confusing of my life so far. I rejected the God who rejected me, but I still admired the beauty of nature. It had a profound effect on me and I realised that this was where my beliefs were centred. Nature did not reject or judge, and it was beautiful and all-loving. And what's more, nature doesn't exactly care about sex before marriage or even homosexuality, because it is all natural :L So my curent beliefs centre around nature, its cycles, its balance, its purity, its power and its love :smile:

tl;dr I was Christian, went to Catholic school and it totally put me off. Now I'm Pagan :smile:

Now it's your turn :biggrin: x

Edit: Pagan Soc now has a welcome video (below)

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Meeee!
I was baptised methodist, confirmed CoE, adn then decided that I was actually Pagan, at about the age of 12/13
Reply 2
Whats the betting the person who de-repped the OP was a fundie of an Abrahamic religion...

Original post by Teao the Cat
Meeee!
I was baptised methodist, confirmed CoE, adn then decided that I was actually Pagan, at about the age of 12/13

You made a decision at 12/13?

For Gods sake girl, you have your whole life ahead of you! You had no idea (probably still don't) regarding who you are and what you want to do with your life.
Reply 3
Original post by BombshellBabe
Hey everyone! I'm just curious to know if there are any others out there with similar beliefs to myself or who would consider themselves to be part or these grouups who could share their experiences/beliefs and enlighten me on what it means to you :smile: But first I'll share with you my own pathway:

Before secondary school, I was a mild C of E Christian. I was in the church choir and sunday school. After joining secondary school and learning about Christianity in RE and about how loving the Christian God was, I decided to take it a step further and became confirmed in year 8. I have always loved people and nature and I was amazed at the things 'God' had created. I was young and naive and let's just say I didn't exactly read the small print. Anyway the school I went to was a Catholic school. You can probably see where this is going. We were all forced to do RE for GCSE and we followed a syllabus which basically was all about learning Lukes gospel word for word, then discussing the church's view on situiations in great depth. Oh and looking at crazy American evangelists. As if the syllabus wasn't enough to give me a bad impression of Christianity, after hearing what Catholics had to say about sex, abortion, homosexuality etc, I was outraged. How could the 'loving' God I had come to love through my 'faith' condemn the very people he created? (I also came out as bisexual around this point in time). I will never forget the lesson I ripped the cross and chain off my neck, stood on it and ran out for air. Which, looking back was kinda stupid because the gardens at my school were full of Mary and Jesus statues which made things worse. The God I once loved and admired, hated people like me who were OK with non-marital sex and OK with loving the same sex. I was totally lost. The next few months were the most confusing of my life so far. I rejected the God who rejected me, but I still admired the beauty of nature. It had a profound effect on me and I realised that this was where my beliefs were centred. Nature did not reject or judge, and it was beautiful and all-loving. And what's more, nature doesn't exactly care about sex before marriage or even homosexuality, because it is all natural :L So my curent beliefs centre around nature, its cycles, its balance, its purity, its power and its love :smile:

tl;dr I was Christian, went to Catholic school and it totally put me off. Now I'm Pagan :smile:

Now it's your turn :biggrin: x

Does any of this justify supernatural beliefs though? I would agree that nature is beautiful. It's stunning, and enthralling. A snowflake isn't any less enchanting, the intricate mechanisms of the cell any less majestic, simply because there's no paranormal magic behind it.
Original post by Alpharius

Whats the betting the person who de-repped the OP was a fundie of an Abrahamic religion...

You made a decision at 12/13?

For Gods sake girl, you have your whole life ahead of you! You had no idea (probably still don't) regarding who you are and what you want to do with your life.

I'm now 22. Who know,s may change my mind later in life. But why should I not have believed something that made sense to me at that age just because I was young? As I pointed out, I was actually confirmed before that, at the age of 10, which was because my Stepmother wanted me to be (she's very Christian, never told her I'm not). So I was already considered old enough to make a religious 'descision'.

Besides, can't see how I can just think 'no, I won't be;leive that, even though I do...'
Reply 5
I will never forget the lesson I ripped the cross and chain off my neck, stood on it and ran out for air.

I laughed. Cheers.
Reply 6
Original post by Teao the Cat
I'm now 22. Who know,s may change my mind later in life. But why should I not have believed something that made sense to me at that age just because I was young? As I pointed out, I was actually confirmed before that, at the age of 10, which was because my Stepmother wanted me to be (she's very Christian, never told her I'm not). So I was already considered old enough to make a religious 'descision'.

Besides, can't see how I can just think 'no, I won't be;leive that, even though I do...'

It was your wording that made me comment. "You Decided." At such a young age, you wouldn't have been able to decide what political party you most agree with, or what economic system you'll agree with.

Again, you can believe what you want, no-one should dispute that.
Reply 7
I'm not crazy, so I didn't go for paganism or christianity.
Reply 8
It was your wording that made me comment. "You Decided." At such a young age, you wouldn't have been able to decide what political party you most agree with, or what economic system you'll agree with.

Again, you can believe what you want, no-one should dispute that.

Why is it any different to say "I believe in God" instead of "I do not believe in God" at that age? The teenage years are where most people begin to think critically and evaluate everything, so there's no reason why he/she should not have been able to make a legitimate decision.
Reply 9
Ooh I've started my first TSR debate haha :L but it's cool there's other young people out there like me :biggrin: just curious do any of you guys gather in spiritual groups/coven? There's none around me and I'd love to practise my beliefs and rites with a group of like-minded people. It's just not the same casting a circle on your own in the back garden :frown: ...
Do you burn Christians to help your harvests?
Reply 11
Original post by NikNakWakAtak
Do you burn Christians to help your harvests?

Nope, just candles :smile:
Reply 12
Ooh I've started my first TSR debate haha :L but it's cool there's other young people out there like me :biggrin: just curious do any of you guys gather in spiritual groups/coven? There's none around me and I'd love to practise my beliefs and rites with a group of like-minded people. It's just not the same casting a circle on your own in the back garden :frown: ...

Since you're active in the thread, do you have anything to add to my previous post about supernatural beliefs?

No... had the opportunity to join a society which also held sabbat rituals, but i'm pretty eclectic, adn most of them were Wiccan, so I was a bit worried about any clashes of beliefs.
Reply 14
Yeah, I'm gonna be celebrating this Beltane, but some of the Wiccan stuff is a bit too much for me :/ I stick with some basic herbal/candle rituals and I bless my friends :smile:
I don't really practise wicca (I did briefly) but I have always read into and studied the occult. I get what you mean with the nature being awe inspiring and stuff though. I'm currently interested in druids at the moment. Learning a Gaelic language would be good for a Wiccan cause most of it is based of pagans and druids who spoke these religions and I'm sure some old chants are written originally in these languages.
Reply 16
Yeah a lot of the old traditional spells and charms include old English and Gaelic denominations of words :smile: But most followers these days make up their own words to the same effect, but I'm still fairly new to it all so I play it safe and follow others! :biggrin:
Reply 17
HAPPY BELTANE EVERYONE :biggrin: this is a time to celebrate love and fertility, so have a good time with your partners :smile: if your single, then I wish you a prosperous Beltane in other terms at least. Try some gardening or even revision and let's hope that prospers ^_^ Blessing you all :smile: x

Great earth mother!
We give you praise today
and ask for your blessing upon us.
As seeds spring forth
and grass grows green
and winds blow gently
and the rivers flow
and the sun shines down
upon our land,
we offer thanks to you for your blessings
and your gifts of life each spring.
I ge the impression that the old religions were little more than an excuse for the followers to act on their own instincts. Sacred prostitution for baal anyone?
Reply 19
Original post by joanna-eve
Me :biggrin:
I struggled to cope with the death of my grandfather in primary school (what can I say? I was born middle-aged) and turned to God and Jesus to help me. I was eight and had been brought up in a completely secular manner. However, as I grew up and learnt about my faith in R.E., I too was disgusted. I mean, we were supposed to reject evolution and believe that women who aborted babies that were products of rape were somehow in the wrong!I gradually grew away from xtianity until year 6...when I visited Stonehenge :biggrin:
I was fascinated by its mystery and ritual purpose and visiting the gift shop I saw books that opened doors in my mind that I never knew existed, I realised that I had been following the wrong religion for all those years. I've been pagan ever since. You might think that ten is a young age to find your religion and I'm not going to dispute that, but I've always been mature for my age and six years on I'm still happily following my pagan path :smile:

Happy Beltane to all who celebrate it!

How do you justify supernatural aspects of your beliefs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending