The Student Room Group

TSR Pagan Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Formica
How do you justify supernatural aspects of your beliefs?

There aren't supernatural or paranormal aspects to Paganism from what I know.
Pagans worship nature. The rituals are symbolic and for their own focus.
No-where in paganism or wiccan are you allowed to try to influence other peoples free will or do anything to harm others.
It's a pretty peaceful religion and doesn't promote supernatural/paranormal activities.
Reply 21
Original post by secret_smile
There aren't supernatural or paranormal aspects to Paganism from what I know.
Pagans worship nature. The rituals are symbolic and for their own focus.
No-where in paganism or wiccan are you allowed to try to influence other peoples free will or do anything to harm others.
It's a pretty peaceful religion and doesn't promote supernatural/paranormal activities.

I think we need to acknowledge that the term 'paganism' is incredibly broad and imprecise. You can't say paganism involves no supernatural aspects without defining what you mean by 'paganism'. Many self-identified pagans hold belief in spells and charms, or intervening spirits.
I'm not sure what I am. On some days I am more religious and pray to God/Gods/Spirit word, addressing everyone out there if they exist. On other days I'm atheist and realise no one is answering my prayers and if some little ones are answered, it's likely to be a coincidence.

I was raised as a Catholic/Christian but from teenage years I kind of grew out of it, but when things got tough I often prayed asking for help. I think that will always be part of me even if I often question why am I praying when there's no one out there.

After I got into a serious relationship with my ex-bf, he opened up doors to a new way of looking into the world. He introduced me to the spirit world, spirit guides and I found my own- Panda. Since then I have been really into animals and checking signs of what they mean when I see them. I often asked for help of my spirit guide and it comforted me.

Now, I don't know what I believe. I just know that pandas make me happy so I have them everywhere in my life, even if spirit guides don't exist it still brings a smile to my face.
I guess I'm undecided to what I believe and don't. I'm ok with that, when I'm dead maybe then I will see and if not..well I haven't lost anything by questioning religion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Formica
I think we need to acknowledge that the term 'paganism' is incredibly broad and imprecise. You can't say paganism involves no supernatural aspects without defining what you mean by 'paganism'. Many self-identified pagans hold belief in spells and charms, or intervening spirits.

Like I said, the spells, charms and intervening spirits I think are largely symbolic. For example a pagan may cast a 'spell' for success. However, I think the words spoken/ritual performed is to focus their own ability to achieve success rather than trying to evoke a intervening spirit to get them that success.
But yes I do agree that paganism/wiccan is very broad and imprecise and many people adopt certain aspects of the religion and add their own ideas and beliefs to it so it is hard to define what all pagans believe.
Reply 24
Original post by secret_smile
Like I said, the spells, charms and intervening spirits I think are largely symbolic. For example a pagan may cast a 'spell' for success. However, I think the words spoken/ritual performed is to focus their own ability to achieve success rather than trying to evoke a intervening spirit to get them that success.
But yes I do agree that paganism/wiccan is very broad and imprecise and many people adopt certain aspects of the religion and add their own ideas and beliefs to it so it is hard to define what all pagans believe.

It seems we might have had different exposures to 'paganism' for whatever reasons. May as well ask the people here since it's attracted so many:

Pagans - are there supernatural aspects to your beliefs, or are the rituals merely symbolic and compatible with a naturalistic world view?

Please tell me why, out of all the bat**** crazy religions you could choose, you chose your bat**** crazy pagan ****ty religion? Come on, you're just an embarrassment in today's world. :facepalm2:
Reply 26
Original post by joanna-eve
What do you mean by supernatural?

"Attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature."
Reply 27
Pretty much this. 'Spirits' pretty much end up being the God and Goddess- if I invoke the elements then I am invoking nature which is Them. A spell is a prayer that is more deliberately crafted - using related symbols to add to the power - we call this sympathetic magic as it represents something, like burning paper with a habit written on that you wish to be rid of. Other things like singing, dancing, chanting, drumming, just add to the energy and make it more noticable. You can hold a ritual or cast a spell (and may I just say that witchcraft and paganism, while linked, are NOT the same and not all pagans cast spells, I myself don't tend to) without anything but your mind but everything else helps focus it. Also the more effort you put into it then more energy is building up during the preparation which makes it more effective later :smile:

I'm afraid I'm still not clear on this - do you believe this God and Goddess are real entities in a conscious sense? Are they independent thinking beings? Is the power of spells purely in the mind of those performing them, or is there another distinct effect they have on reality?
Reply 28
There are many things beyond scientific understanding, for example precisely how children learn to talk, why we blush or what our dreams mean. That does not mean it is supernatural, merely that we do not understand it yet. There is nothing beyond nature or that we will never be able to explain using science.

I didn't think the definition of supernatural would be a sticking point, that was just a dictionary definition. I don't think unknowns are considered 'beyond the laws of nature' (maybe beyond known laws of nature). This definition is clearer about what I mean:

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces
I find it difficult to define my concept of the gods... I think the best way is to think of the 'everything is sacred' view, and that divinity is part of everything...
And as for the supernatural, it's to do with the powers of the mind, really... I don't believe Hecate, or whoever, is sitting about when she figures it might be okay to help me, more that the words and ritual focus a desire in my own mind, and make me more determined. The one thing I can't put into place with that is after death, as I do believe in reincarnation. Thinking about it too much makes my brain hurt!

At the end of the day, believing it makes me happy, and if it turns out not the be the case, so be it... if there's nothign after death, I lose nothing by hoping there is. If there is, so much the better: I get another shot at life.
Original post by amime
You know when you sneeze and fart at the same time and it feels as though you have ripped yourself a new anus... well that happened to me again today.

For that reason, I'm atheist.

Apparently if you sneeze, fart, cough, burp and hiccup at the same time, you reach Level 2 :fyi:

You're almost halfway there :yy:
Reply 31
Do I need to feel guilty because I don't have a reason for being pagan? Well, except feeling at home with paganism.
I actually never really believed in God but still was confirmed with 14 (for the moneys sake :biggrin:). It was the pastor who got me onto the pagan trip, he said he wouldn't trust God enough to let him rescue him. Dunno why he became pastor, it was a fun time though. Well, after that I joined a German pagan online community and soon learned to love paganism (Celtic Recon, to be exact. It's a bit like Wicca but more scholarly and celtic). It's no fun being a pagan in Germany, it's not only the society that often is biased and thinks every Pagan is a Nazi but the pagan community which literally tears itself apart every one in a while.
Original post by Bantiarna

Do I need to feel guilty because I don't have a reason for being pagan? Well, except feeling at home with paganism.

I hate it when it tells me I can't rep anyone else today! So i shall just say, well said!
Reply 33
I actually never really believed in God but still was confirmed with 14 (for the moneys sake :biggrin:). It was the pastor who got me onto the pagan trip, he said he wouldn't trust God enough to let him rescue him. Dunno why he became pastor, it was a fun time though. Well, after that I joined a German pagan online community and soon learned to love paganism (Celtic Recon, to be exact. It's a bit like Wicca but more scholarly and celtic). It's no fun being a pagan in Germany, it's not only the society that often is biased and thinks every Pagan is a Nazi but the pagan community which literally tears itself apart every one in a while.

Yeah my gran is a fluent German speaker so she has a close connection with Germany. However, she is a devout methodist with a lot of responsibilities within the church. I told her it was Beltane yesterday and asked about the German festival of Walpurgisnacht. Well, she threw her arms up in horror and insisted I have nothing to do with that 'festival of evil'. You neednt feel guilty at all! Some people just know what is right fo them and I guess that's the case with you :smile: That's hilarious that your pastor actually introduced you to paganism :L What denomination was he? I've heard of Celtic Recon, it sounds probably the closest to what I believe. Paganism and Nazism are two very VERY opposite ideals :L haha Nazism is totally unnatural and violent but Paganism is peaceful and all about what occurs natural e.g. being of different ethnic origin, being gay etc. Is the community a German community? Do tey have room for one more? :P
Reply 34
Original post by BombshellBabe
Yeah my gran is a fluent German speaker so she has a close connection with Germany. However, she is a devout methodist with a lot of responsibilities within the church. I told her it was Beltane yesterday and asked about the German festival of Walpurgisnacht. Well, she threw her arms up in horror and insisted I have nothing to do with that 'festival of evil'. You neednt feel guilty at all! Some people just know what is right fo them and I guess that's the case with you :smile: That's hilarious that your pastor actually introduced you to paganism :L What denomination was he? I've heard of Celtic Recon, it sounds probably the closest to what I believe. Paganism and Nazism are two very VERY opposite ideals :L haha Nazism is totally unnatural and violent but Paganism is peaceful and all about what occurs natural e.g. being of different ethnic origin, being gay etc. Is the community a German community? Do tey have room for one more? :P

The pastor was evangelisch-reformiert (no idea what's this in English, maybe reformed Church?) and he didn't actually introduce me to paganism but was the one who inspired me to look beyond Christianity and for something else.
There is always room for one more ^^ But if I were you I would wait a month or so because at the moment they are busy ripping themselves apart. I think the argument is about whether or not the admin is allowed to ban people for their radical left wing opinions. Or something along that way, I stopped visiting regularly after they called each other Nazis, it can only get worse after such a comment. :rolleyes:
Reply 35
Oh yes, I think it's evangelist reformed in English :smile: Oh dear, sounds like a bit of a civil war going on in the community! I don't think I'll be joining for now :L tbh, few pagans are right wing so it's only natural that you are going to get some radical lefties. I don't blame you for not visiting! The search for a coven continues.... hehe :smile:
Reply 36
I was going to post this! Glad I look before I started a new thread :smile:

I'm highly curious and am going to start going to meetings this week. I've been told by psychics before that I am very spiritual and I know I feel it to. I feel close to the earth and I always feel drawn to spiritual shops, finding them so easily in new places I've never been before.

I do believe in supernatural and the spirit world, and I do believe we can influlence the atmosphere around us. I want to get more in touch with the part of me that everyone thinks I'm weird for having, so if any of you want to chat to me and feel you can help me find me, just private message me, I won't reject your beliefs :smile:
Reply 37
I was raised Catholic, went to convent school and I will always be a catholic but I am very interested in ritual magic and witchcraft. Wicca, modern paganism etc really something that has been cobbled together out of bits of folklore, the hermetic traditions, the womens spirituality movement in the 70's, 60's counter culture and a more recent, more commercial american branch of wicca.

I personally favour Chaos Magick as it is pretty up front about it's nature and is highly self directed. I'm not all that interested in joining a coven or group. I read a lot and follow my own path. I don't see it as being in conflict with my Catholic faith, I'd say I was a catholic witch.

You are a person with a spiritual nature and calling, that is cool. Just keep an open mind. All religion is the same thing really, it's all a valid expression of faith. I have found great insights in studying many various religions Hinduism, Judaism, buddhism and so on.

Its a path, be open and follow your intuition, read and you will learn a lot but don't become too dogmatic about anyone path pagan or otherwise.
Reply 38
I'm really interested in becoming a pagan (to be honest, I already class myself as one). Whether I'd go into a branch of it like Wicca is something I'd have to think about later, but Paganism really appeals to me. My only real problem with Wicca is the fact that I know it was only formed in the last century, and to sound cheesy, it takes away some of the magic of it.
Sorry I can't really strike up much discussion, just wanted to introduce myself :smile:
Original post by Pandora.

Original post by Pandora.
. My only real problem with Wicca is the fact that I know it was only formed in the last century, and to sound cheesy, it takes away some of the magic of it.

That's why I define myself as pagan rather than Wiccan: Wicca just seems a bit too recent for me, even though it is based on older traditions. That, and the structure- first high priestesses, and all the rest of it. Think it just seems a bit too organised religion for a nature based faith. But each to their own, I suppose!

Quick Reply

Latest