The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Problems with My Subject Combination

I received my AS results a couple of days ago and am progressing to A2 soon. I did Mathematics, Economics and Business Studies at AS level. As I know, the combination of Business Studies and Economics is best avoided due to the overlapping syallabus of these two subjects.

As LSE emphasises a lot on subject combination, I am thinking of taking up AS and A2 sociology in my A2 year. I am interested in applying to LSE for Management or Social Policy and Economics. Is it advisable for me to do so? By the way, my Business Studies grades are higher than my Economics grades. As I am in a dilemma now, I'll write down my four options below:

A. Carry on my three current subjects
B. Carry on my three current subjects + AS Sociology
C. Carry on my three current subjects + A Level Sociology
D. Drop Business Studies + A Level Sociology

If I do AS and A2 Sociology during my A2 year, will my teachers be able to give me predicted grades for this subject? How would my teachers be able to put in my Sociology grades on the UCAS form?

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any useful suggestions. Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I would personally do D. Business is likely to be excluded from your offer anyway so no point doing it, unless you really want to do it.

Your teachers don't put Sociology n your UCAS form, you declare that you will be doing both AS and A2 this year. Perhaps ask for a mention on the reasons why you are doing it in a year on your reference as it can seem a bt wierd.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
If I ask my teachers to mention it on my reference, will I stand a better chance in getting into LSE? Will it really help with my subject combination?
Reply 3
Business Studies will be exclude from your offer if you get one from LSE. If you page through the Undergraduate Prospectus, they clearly discourage students from taking Business Studies at all and list it as one of their 'non-preferred subjects.' I don't think it can get much clearer than that.
Original post by arrowhead
Business Studies will be exclude from your offer if you get one from LSE. If you page through the Undergraduate Prospectus, they clearly discourage students from taking Business Studies at all and list it as one of their 'non-preferred subjects.' I don't think it can get much clearer than that.

I applied with Business Studies, obviously they must have loved my Biology Psychology and Chem (B) to let me in?

I don' t think they ignore Business studies.
Reply 5
xTazx
I applied with Business Studies, obviously they must have loved my Biology Psychology and Chem (B) to let me in?

I mentioned what I've read and nothing more.

2011 LSE Undergraduate Prospectus
Subject combinations and ‘non- preferred’ subjects
We are looking for evidence that you have academic ability and achievement in breadth. For some degrees we require Mathematics at A level or equivalent; details of subject requirements can be found in the programme entries.

The School considers not only the subjects offered by applicants at A level and AS level, but also the combination of them. Certain subjects are considered by our admissions tutors to be a more effective preparation for studying at LSE. Admissions tutors will normally consider one of the subjects listed below as ‘non-preferred’ only if it is offered in combination with our generally preferred subjects. For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees. Mathematics, French and Business would be acceptable, but we would prefer the first example. On the other hand, Mathematics, Accounting and Media Studies would not normally be considered as suitable as this combination includes two subjects on the ‘non-preferred’ list below. You should also note that we are less concerned with subject combinations at AS level.

Successful applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list of subjects that are ‘non-preferred.’ The list is regularly reviewed by admissions tutors:

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies*
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies
Music Technology
Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
An A level (or equivalent) in your first/ native language may not be counted.

* The departments of Anthropology, International History, International Relations, Social Policy and Sociology consider Drama and Theatre Studies equally with other generally preferred subjects. Therefore, they will consider Drama and Theatre Studies alongside one other subject from the non-preferred list. However, the majority of departments continue to feel that Drama and Theatre Studies is not appropriate or relevant to their degree programmes and still consider it to be ‘non-preferred.’

Please see the Entry requirements section of the LSE website at lse.ac.uk/ UGhowToApply for more information about non-preferred subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by arrowhead
I mentioned what I've read and nothing more.

The problem is, I only have three subjects. So you will choose which of the four options stated above?
Original post by Jtn Star
I received my AS results a couple of days ago and am progressing to A2 soon. I did Mathematics, Economics and Business Studies at AS level. As I know, the combination of Business Studies and Economics is best avoided due to the overlapping syallabus of these two subjects.

As LSE emphasises a lot on subject combination, I am thinking of taking up AS and A2 sociology in my A2 year. I am interested in applying to LSE for Management or Social Policy and Economics. Is it advisable for me to do so? By the way, my Business Studies grades are higher than my Economics grades. As I am in a dilemma now, I'll write down my four options below:

A. Carry on my three current subjects
B. Carry on my three current subjects + AS Sociology
C. Carry on my three current subjects + A Level Sociology
D. Drop Business Studies + A Level Sociology

If I do AS and A2 Sociology during my A2 year, will my teachers be able to give me predicted grades for this subject? How would my teachers be able to put in my Sociology grades on the UCAS form?

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any useful suggestions. Thanks.

Original post by xTazx

Yeah but he is doing business along with economics so it will decrease offer chance, if he gets one though it will include it.

I would go with C/D, but give them a call and ask them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending