The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xDivax90x
You should of still gone to it, there was a girl that was 15 mins late for the assessment but she rang the store and just said she was running late and they didn't mind, we started without her and she only missed the first exercise.

Hopefully you'll hear back from them soon :smile:

I know but it would've taken me 30 mins to walk to the station and then 40mins on the train so would've missed it. They said they'll rebook me in for a straight interview, don't know when it is yet but fingers crossed!
Reply 81
hi everyone!!
hope your all good!! i need some help please. well i applied for debenhams online a week ago and just got a phone call today saying ill be getting a phone interview at 11:40am. so i said yes thats fine, they phoned me at 11:46am to ive me a phone interview, i passed it so im really happy about that! they then told me to come in tommorow morning befor 10:30 and when i get there i should come to the reception to inform them i have an interview, this is for the oxford street store! has anyone had an interview there yet and passed and got the job?
ive been reading previous posts and thank you so much for the help! really really apperciated this, thank you so much! now, what i want to know is when i get there i didnt understand the bit where you say bad or good things? and for the COSTUMER FOCUS name? what did you say word by word? im just really concerned about the group interview im really confused about this, one to one im not too bad with this, is there anything important you believe i should mention when it comes to one to one with the manager? please reply back to me.
Thank you so much,
king regards
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by JJ_92

Original post by JJ_92
hi everyone!!
hope your all good!! i need some help please. well i applied for debenhams online a week ago and just got a phone call today saying ill be getting a phone interview at 11:40am. so i said yes thats fine, they phoned me at 11:46am to ive me a phone interview, i passed it so im really happy about that! they then told me to come in tommorow morning befor 10:30 and when i get there i should come to the reception to inform them i have an interview, this is for the oxford street store! has anyone had an interview there yet and passed and got the job?
ive been reading previous posts and thank you so much for the help! really really apperciated this, thank you so much! now, what i want to know is when i get there i didnt understand the bit where you say bad or good things? and for the COSTUMER FOCUS name? what did you say word by word? im just really concerned about the group interview im really confused about this, one to one im not too bad with this, is there anything important you believe i should mention when it comes to one to one with the manager? please reply back to me.
Thank you so much,
king regards

I've not been interviewed for the Oxford store but I got interviewed at the Stockport store and I did get the job and start on Saturday :smile: For the good and bad things it simply was in pairs write 3 things you like and 3 things you dislike about the high street, you like that you can go and grab something to eat while shopping and you dislike how busy it can get. Just simple things like that and CUSTOMER FOCUS is easy C - communication. U - upbeat it's really not that hard and if you get stuck just glance at the persons sheet next to you haha xD

I really don't think the group assessment is that important so if you think you got an answer wrong it doesn't matter, they're not marking you on 'right' and 'wrong' answers I think it's just to see how you work in a team environment. So just try and speaking up and get into the discussion part of the CUSTOMER FOCUS exercise. I didn't speak up at all in the discussion part but try to get your voice heard without interupting any one :smile:

If you get asked a question about how to get a customer to spend more money mention the store card and the beauty club. Also mention the instore ordering service if you get asked a question related to it :smile:

Good Luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello Guys

Got a Job at debenhams working in Cosmetics and im a Guy.. Anyone know what that will involve? Thanks
Reply 84
I've not been interviewed for the Oxford store but I got interviewed at the Stockport store and I did get the job and start on Saturday :smile: For the good and bad things it simply was in pairs write 3 things you like and 3 things you dislike about the high street, you like that you can go and grab something to eat while shopping and you dislike how busy it can get. Just simple things like that and CUSTOMER FOCUS is easy C - communication. U - upbeat it's really not that hard and if you get stuck just glance at the persons sheet next to you haha xD

I really don't think the group assessment is that important so if you think you got an answer wrong it doesn't matter, they're not marking you on 'right' and 'wrong' answers I think it's just to see how you work in a team environment. So just try and speaking up and get into the discussion part of the CUSTOMER FOCUS exercise. I didn't speak up at all in the discussion part but try to get your voice heard without interupting any one :smile:

If you get asked a question about how to get a customer to spend more money mention the store card and the beauty club. Also mention the instore ordering service if you get asked a question related to it :smile:

Good Luck!

thank you so much i have only just seen this now, i would had replied much earlier, so sorry for the long reply. thank you so much for the help. thanks for the luck aswel i really do hope i get the job, some people say they got a call hours after their interview did this happen to you? & congrats on the job well done, i really hope i can get this job myself, ill be so grateful. now the one to one how did that go how long did it take? and thank you for telling me certain things i needed to mention. lastly the CUSTOMER FOCUS do you have to do that on your own or in groups? and things i didnt like about shopping in the highstreet can one be an untidy store? and workers that look bored and ignore you when you walk into the shop?apprently they say ONE LIE 2 TRUTH? what do i say? King regards xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by medaholic
OMG, i got my assesment thing on the 13th october its in oxford street.
I was wondering has anyone had it in oxford street because does the assesment differ from store to store or is it all the same?
Im so nervous and should i dress really smart?

hi there, i have my interview tommorow at the oxford store, did yu get the job? and can u pls run with me what happens please?
King regards x
Reply 86
Original post by JJ_92

Original post by JJ_92
thank you so much i have only just seen this now, i would had replied much earlier, so sorry for the long reply. thank you so much for the help. thanks for the luck aswel i really do hope i get the job, some people say they got a call hours after their interview did this happen to you? & congrats on the job well done, i really hope i can get this job myself, ill be so grateful. now the one to one how did that go how long did it take? and thank you for telling me certain things i needed to mention. lastly the CUSTOMER FOCUS do you have to do that on your own or in groups? and things i didnt like about shopping in the highstreet can one be an untidy store? and workers that look bored and ignore you when you walk into the shop?apprently they say ONE LIE 2 TRUTH? what do i say? King regards xxx

No problem and nope I got the call about 10 days after my assessment day :smile: The one to one was fine, I was more nervous for the group assessment than the actual interview. The interview was more like a friendly chat, it didn't feel like I was being interviewed :smile: and it didn't last too long about 10-15 minutes, but it goes by fast.

You do the CUSTOMER FOCUS exercise on your own but then the entire group has to choose the best word for each letter. Yeah those are fine for dislikes or say that sometimes as soon as you walk in you're bombarded with people asking 'would you like any help' before you've been able to look around that's what I put.

We didn't do the truth and lie exercise on our assessment we did:

1) Likes and Dislikes about the highstreet
2) CUSTOMER FOCUS exercise
3) Went on the shop floor and did the wow's and recuse exercise
Then the one on one interview

Was pretty simple :smile: Sorry if i'm too late :frown: Good Luck again! :biggrin: xx
Reply 87
No problem and nope I got the call about 10 days after my assessment day :smile: The one to one was fine, I was more nervous for the group assessment than the actual interview. The interview was more like a friendly chat, it didn't feel like I was being interviewed :smile: and it didn't last too long about 10-15 minutes, but it goes by fast.

You do the CUSTOMER FOCUS exercise on your own but then the entire group has to choose the best word for each letter. Yeah those are fine for dislikes or say that sometimes as soon as you walk in you're bombarded with people asking 'would you like any help' before you've been able to look around that's what I put.

We didn't do the truth and lie exercise on our assessment we did:

1) Likes and Dislikes about the highstreet
2) CUSTOMER FOCUS exercise
3) Went on the shop floor and did the wow's and recuse exercise
Then the one on one interview

Was pretty simple :smile: Sorry if i'm too late :frown: Good Luck again! :biggrin: xx

Hi Hun,
well just to update you!! i had my interview today and it was very laid back i actually enjoyed myself, CUSTOMER FOCUS came up so thanks to all of you that gave me an idea and helped me, i did the rescue and vows in the store, and i was explaining myself very well, i was well spoken i made sure i stood out in the group interview, i never spoke over anyone!! so fingers crossed, there was only 6 of us, and i heard normally theres about 20 so i had a luck today because there was only 6 of us, so i just hope i do get a call to say ive got the job wish me luck please. & lastly the one to one interview i believe went well, i did revise what you had told me and they all came up the last bit was that she asked me ' is there anything u can add to ur application? and i was like yeah just to make sure that if i am made successful im very aware of the ordering services debenhams has. and she was like 'Excellent' everytime i answered her questions she like smiling getting very happy and saying well done, excellent. LOOL. so i really don't know how well i did but i tried my very best, and too me i believe i did very well. when did they call you? and what do you think u think ill be fine?
xx:smile:
Reply 88
Original post by JJ_92

Original post by JJ_92
Hi Hun,
well just to update you!! i had my interview today and it was very laid back i actually enjoyed myself, CUSTOMER FOCUS came up so thanks to all of you that gave me an idea and helped me, i did the rescue and vows in the store, and i was explaining myself very well, i was well spoken i made sure i stood out in the group interview, i never spoke over anyone!! so fingers crossed, there was only 6 of us, and i heard normally theres about 20 so i had a luck today because there was only 6 of us, so i just hope i do get a call to say ive got the job wish me luck please. & lastly the one to one interview i believe went well, i did revise what you had told me and they all came up the last bit was that she asked me ' is there anything u can add to ur application? and i was like yeah just to make sure that if i am made successful im very aware of the ordering services debenhams has. and she was like 'Excellent' everytime i answered her questions she like smiling getting very happy and saying well done, excellent. LOOL. so i really don't know how well i did but i tried my very best, and too me i believe i did very well. when did they call you? and what do you think u think ill be fine?
xx:smile:

Yeah I enjoyed myself in the group assessment as well, I was so nervous going in to it but when we all sat down and started I was fine, I think that's why they do that just an ice breaker and to see how you interact with other people.

We had at least 12 people in my assessment so I think that's why I got away with not speaking up :biggrin: You sound like you did well, sounds better than what I did haha so fingers crossed you get the job :smile:

Ermm... My assessment was October 1st and I got the call October 11th so 10 days. I was freaking out after the first day because from what I read people got the call hours after the interview but I was waiting 10 days :smile: Just think as long as you've not got a rejection letter you've still got a chance :smile:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :smile: xx
Reply 89
Yeah I enjoyed myself in the group assessment as well, I was so nervous going in to it but when we all sat down and started I was fine, I think that's why they do that just an ice breaker and to see how you interact with other people.

We had at least 12 people in my assessment so I think that's why I got away with not speaking up :biggrin: You sound like you did well, sounds better than what I did haha so fingers crossed you get the job :smile:

Ermm... My assessment was October 1st and I got the call October 11th so 10 days. I was freaking out after the first day because from what I read people got the call hours after the interview but I was waiting 10 days :smile: Just think as long as you've not got a rejection letter you've still got a chance :smile:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :smile: xx

Aww thanks hun, you've been a great help to me! if it wasn't for me researching this interview i think i would had been puzzled. LOOL! well i do ope they give me a call fingers crossed. Thanks.
by any chance have you been to an Asda assesment centre interview? and are you still working at debenhams? if so how long have u been working there now? xx
Reply 90
Original post by JJ_92

Original post by JJ_92
Aww thanks hun, you've been a great help to me! if it wasn't for me researching this interview i think i would had been puzzled. LOOL! well i do ope they give me a call fingers crossed. Thanks.
by any chance have you been to an Asda assesment centre interview? and are you still working at debenhams? if so how long have u been working there now? xx

Yeah If I hadn't researched the assessment I'd of been puzzled too, it's just nice to know what to expect :smile: I've never sent an application into Asda so I wouldn't know any thing and I've not started yet, I start on the 5th so 3 more days and I start my induction :smile: xx
Reply 91
Hi there, i was promised a telephone interview with Debenhams but i never got a call so i contact thenamd abnd they told me spaces were full.. I'm on teh waiting list...what chance do i stand??
Reply 92
Yeah If I hadn't researched the assessment I'd of been puzzled too, it's just nice to know what to expect :smile: I've never sent an application into Asda so I wouldn't know any thing and I've not started yet, I start on the 5th so 3 more days and I start my induction :smile: xx

Hi Hun,
Hope your well!!.. well good news !! I'VE GOT THE JOB!! they called me today on my mobile to tell me i've got the job and im working in the childrenswear, which is where i wanted to be put! my boyfriend was over the moon he took me out. :biggrin: im over the moon i cannot believe i've go debenhams after 1 year and a half i've finally been employed since my previous work :biggrin:. they actually got to me very quick! 3 days today and they gave it to me. i start my induction on the 12th so next sat. i see you start tommorow, well done hun, hope you enjoy yourself, and tell me all about it :biggrin: do you know where u'll be working?
what happened on ur induction? and how long does induction last for 1 week? and how many hours in a day were u at induction?
I really want to thank you so much for helping me. thank you so much i really appericate it. big Huggs!! and i really cannot wait to work with them. Let me know how well u did hun
Mwah xx:smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Renkam
Hi there, i was promised a telephone interview with Debenhams but i never got a call so i contact thenamd abnd they told me spaces were full.. I'm on teh waiting list...what chance do i stand??

Hi Hun,
Sorry to hear this, i think you have a chance now that christmas is coming up, so fingers crossed they do get back to you and give you the phone interview, keep us updated!! don't worry too much im sure they would phone you.

Good luck
x:smile:
Reply 94
Original post by JJ_92

Original post by JJ_92
Hi Hun,
Hope your well!!.. well good news !! I'VE GOT THE JOB!! they called me today on my mobile to tell me i've got the job and im working in the childrenswear, which is where i wanted to be put! my boyfriend was over the moon he took me out. :biggrin: im over the moon i cannot believe i've go debenhams after 1 year and a half i've finally been employed since my previous work :biggrin:. they actually got to me very quick! 3 days today and they gave it to me. i start my induction on the 12th so next sat. i see you start tommorow, well done hun, hope you enjoy yourself, and tell me all about it :biggrin: do you know where u'll be working?
what happened on ur induction? and how long does induction last for 1 week? and how many hours in a day were u at induction?
I really want to thank you so much for helping me. thank you so much i really appericate it. big Huggs!! and i really cannot wait to work with them. Let me know how well u did hun

Ahhh congratulations! :biggrin: Really happy for you!! I just said I'd be happy to work in any department because I'm easily adaptable (in other words I didn't research all the departments and didn't know what to say haha xD ) I didn't expect to get offered the job because I've been out of work for about a year and a half as well. I had to hide my excitement on the phone haha.

It's actually tomorrow when I have my induction, got to be there at 8:45am and finish at 5pm -_- How fun haha. So when I've finished I'll message you everything about the induction some time tomorrow when I'm home :smile:

and it's no problem! I managed to find a few people to help me out when I needed the help for my interview and assessment and I wanted to be just as helpful :biggrin: *big hugs back*

Good Luck with your induction and job! :smile: xxx
Original post by JJ_92
Hi Hun,

I had my induction about a month ago, and mine was just one day, then I started the actual job a couple of days later, but maybe it depends on the store. It was just 9-4 and in the morning we went through things like fire safety, security, health and safety, did a quiz about debenhams, talked a bit about customer service and then did a tour of the store where we had to make a note about what brands they sold, which were concessions, where the toilets and cafes were, which floor sold what etc, and were introduced to our sales managers. Then in the afternoon we did till training and account training, but it was really basic, tbh you just learn on the job as you go along. Hope your induction goes well and you enjoy working there :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by JJ_92

Original post by JJ_92
Hi Hun,

Gosh, my induction was so long and a bit boring :| It's nothing important just health and safety and basic things they have to go over with you for legal reasons. Got shown where the stock room was, where the loading bay was and other parts of the store. Got told the code to a few doors. We had a pack we had to fill in as we went along but nothing hard. Just very boring haha. Our induction was supposed to be 8:45 - 5:00 but they got all the times mixed up and gave out the wrong times to people so we had didn't even start until 10ish -_- and finished about 5:15.

Got my till training on Wednesday 9:30 - 5 and got my first shift on Saturday. They did mention account training on Tuesday and Thursday but I haven't been told to go to it. So guess my department doesn't need account training or may be they'll tell me about it on Wednesday.

Got my little name badge at the induction as well haha and got my first 'rude' customer. I was in a group and we were following one of the managers to the stock room where he was going to show us around and explain a few things and a woman came up to me and asked where the till point was for that department and I honestly didn't know so I said I'm not too sure because I'm actually being trained at the moment and she made a scoffing noise and looked at me funny! Rude bitch.

Oh and oh my god I got on SO well with this 1 girl at the induction and we spent all the breaks together in the staff room and walking around town and just talking and she brought up at the end of the 7 hour induction that she couldn't work the last week of December because of a holiday she has booked. So they said she just needs to go talk to the manager and they told her they couldn't employ her because that week was the busiest week :| They may be could of brought up at the begining of the induction if any one had any dates that they couldn't work. I felt so, so sorry for her and it's rubbish I won't be working with her :frown: Just made a friend and probably won't see her again

Any way good luck with your induction :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Gosh, my induction was so long and a bit boring :| It's nothing important just health and safety and basic things they have to go over with you for legal reasons. Got shown where the stock room was, where the loading bay was and other parts of the store. Got told the code to a few doors. We had a pack we had to fill in as we went along but nothing hard. Just very boring haha. Our induction was supposed to be 8:45 - 5:00 but they got all the times mixed up and gave out the wrong times to people so we had didn't even start until 10ish -_- and finished about 5:15.

Got my till training on Wednesday 9:30 - 5 and got my first shift on Saturday. They did mention account training on Tuesday and Thursday but I haven't been told to go to it. So guess my department doesn't need account training or may be they'll tell me about it on Wednesday.

Got my little name badge at the induction as well haha and got my first 'rude' customer. I was in a group and we were following one of the managers to the stock room where he was going to show us around and explain a few things and a woman came up to me and asked where the till point was for that department and I honestly didn't know so I said I'm not too sure because I'm actually being trained at the moment and she made a scoffing noise and looked at me funny! Rude bitch.

Oh and oh my god I got on SO well with this 1 girl at the induction and we spent all the breaks together in the staff room and walking around town and just talking and she brought up at the end of the 7 hour induction that she couldn't work the last week of December because of a holiday she has booked. So they said she just needs to go talk to the manager and they told her they couldn't employ her because that week was the busiest week :| They may be could of brought up at the begining of the induction if any one had any dates that they couldn't work. I felt so, so sorry for her and it's rubbish I won't be working with her :frown: Just made a friend and probably won't see her again

Any way good luck with your induction :smile:

I don't think anyone at Debenhams is allowed to book holidays between about October and January, it says something like that in the contract and I was told this a few times before my induction. Tis a shame tho, did you get her facebook or anything?

Strange that you've got a full day of till training and at mine we only did it for an hour or so :s-smilie:

Good luck for your first shift :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by Shockolate

Original post by Shockolate
I don't think anyone at Debenhams is allowed to book holidays between about October and January, it says something like that in the contract and I was told this a few times before my induction. Tis a shame tho, did you get her facebook or anything?

Strange that you've got a full day of till training and at mine we only did it for an hour or so :s-smilie:

Good luck for your first shift :smile:

Yes, she gave me her facebook :smile: Just a shame we won't be working together. They never brought up anything about holidays at the induction, just at the very end when they were finding people's rotas did they say has any one got any dates that people can't work. Just about everyone had dates that they couldn't work except for myself, this woman who'll be working on the same department as me and 3 other people and there were about 20 people at the induction haha. My line manager told me that she loved me already for the fact that I can work whenever haha. This other girl who'll be working on the same department as me is busy Monday(today), Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and till training this week is Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the 3 of us are working our first shift together on Saturday so she won't be till trained and not sure if I'll see her again
haha.

My line manager said it typically takes 5 hours to be fully till trained :s-smilie: so not sure why it's for the full day unless we go onto the shop floor again for the last few hours? :smile:

Thanks for the luck :biggrin: and good luck with your job :smile:
Yes, she gave me her facebook :smile: Just a shame we won't be working together. They never brought up anything about holidays at the induction, just at the very end when they were finding people's rotas did they say has any one got any dates that people can't work. Just about everyone had dates that they couldn't work except for myself, this woman who'll be working on the same department as me and 3 other people and there were about 20 people at the induction haha. My line manager told me that she loved me already for the fact that I can work whenever haha. This other girl who'll be working on the same department as me is busy Monday(today), Wednesday, Friday and Sunday and till training this week is Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the 3 of us are working our first shift together on Saturday so she won't be till trained and not sure if I'll see her again
haha.

My line manager said it typically takes 5 hours to be fully till trained :s-smilie: so not sure why it's for the full day unless we go onto the shop floor again for the last few hours? :smile:

Thanks for the luck :biggrin: and good luck with your job :smile:

Maybe you'll do account training too? Or maybe they give you loadss of breaks haha :tongue:

I think my till training must have only been an for an hour was because there were only 5 of us at the induction - a few of us were asked to start a few weeks earlier than the other christmas temps cos there were a few vacancies from people leaving/going on maternity leave etc. I was on the till for the first 3 hours of my first shift, and hardly any customers wanted a simple cash or card transaction so I was thrown in at the deep end really lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending