The Student Room Group

Necessary to visit the countries in which the languages you plan to study are spoken?

Hi all,

I'm planning to apply to study Spanish and French at uni next year. I have taken part in a French exchange (going to France for a week before Easter). I have also got volunteering work in France for four weeks in the summer. However, I'm not sure I will be able to go to a Spanish speaking country before I apply to university. Would this be a problem? The reason I chose to go to France instead of Spain is because I'm a lot weaker on French than Spanish and find everything in Spanish a lot easier to learn. Should I try and spend some time in Spain as well before applying to university?

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
If you're planning to/studying a language, my thoughts would be that you should expect to (sooner or later) visit that country as what's the point otherwise? It's acquiring languages for the sake of it. Yes of course you can get a foreign language related job in the UK but your language would also be vastly improved by hearing the language in its natural setting.

That said, I don't think you need to go before you go to university, unless you feel it would be particularly beneficial. You'll have the opportunity to spend time abroad in your third year :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
If you're planning to/studying a language, my thoughts would be that you should expect to (sooner or later) visit that country as what's the point otherwise? It's acquiring languages for the sake of it. Yes of course you can get a foreign language related job in the UK but your language would also be vastly improved by hearing the language in its natural setting.

That said, I don't think you need to go before you go to university, unless you feel it would be particularly beneficial. You'll have the opportunity to spend time abroad in your third year :smile:

Yeah, I definitely plan on visiting the country, probably next summer, I just wasn't sure whether it would harm my application if I haven't visited the country, as I might not be able to go this summer. Thanks
I applied for a 2 language degree but have only visited one of the countries in question, yet I have been offered a place. I don't think it is necessary (although it obviously helps) but the fact that you have visited one of the countries, and assuming your application shows passion for the subject, I don't see this as a problem for you :smile:
Reply 4
I've never really done languages, but I don't see that admissions tutors would be bothered. As long as you've got the requisite grades.
Reply 5
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
Hi all,

I'm planning to apply to study Spanish and French at uni next year. I have taken part in a French exchange (going to France for a week before Easter). I have also got volunteering work in France for four weeks in the summer. However, I'm not sure I will be able to go to a Spanish speaking country before I apply to university. Would this be a problem? The reason I chose to go to France instead of Spain is because I'm a lot weaker on French than Spanish and find everything in Spanish a lot easier to learn. Should I try and spend some time in Spain as well before applying to university?

Thanks

First of all, considering the fact that you have stated that Spanish is your stronger language out of the two, if it is a massive strain to find the time/money/general effort to go to Spain, in my opinion, it is not necessary. Do you know any native Spanish/half Spanish people or just people who speak Spanish who would be willing to converse with you? Conversing in a language is the best way to maintain it.

Secondly, how did you manage to get four week's work experience in France? I speak French and would love to do something like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending