The Student Room Group

the world needs to lighten up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17756036

nuff said the world has no ways of lightening up. why would kids want to walk about and hear about death and stuff as if kids even know what happened to the titanic. jeez.
its a slide for kids

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree.
the world frustrates me -.-'
Not gonna lie, that is a pretty cool design for an inflatable slide. That said, I can also see why that is in bad taste, especially towards the people who were affected by the Titanic disaster.
It's because of people who make mountains out of molehills that we have to go through a sea of red tape to get anything done these days in case someone somewhere gets upset :sad:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Not gonna lie, that is a pretty cool design for an inflatable slide. That said, I can also see why that is in bad taste, especially towards the people who were affected by the Titanic disaster.

Dude... it was 100 years ago. I'm pretty sure everyone affected is dead by now :tongue:

Whoever negged me clearly doesn't have a grasp on the average human lifespan :pierre:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
Dude... it was 100 years ago. I'm pretty sure everyone affected is dead by now :tongue:

Mmm, yeah I thought that, but there are people who had family involved. And even if it's not Titanic people are personally affected by this, no doubt there have also been some modern day ship sinking incidents that some people today have been affected by and therefore may or may not feel some distaste towards this inflatable slide.

But nothing like this has happened to me personally, so what do I really know, eh? :p: Besides, you can never really please everyone anyway.
Reply 7
... I'd ride it.
Slow news day
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Mmm, yeah I thought that, but there are people who had family involved. And even if it's not Titanic people are personally affected by this, no doubt there have also been some modern day ship sinking incidents that some people today have been affected by and therefore may or may not feel some distaste towards this inflatable slide.

But nothing like this has happened to me personally, so what do I really know, eh? :p: Besides, you can never really please everyone anyway.

Yeah, but that's like saying "You shouldn't give up something for Lent because there are starving people in Africa who will find it distasteful" :tongue:

Which brings me back to my original point; some people who clearly have too much time on their hands need to stop making mountains out of molehills and stop being so easily offended all the damn time.
The world would be a much nicer place if people could actually take a joke or grow a backbone.
pedantry makes people feel cleverer.
i think the slide looks ace personally, deffo a tribute not a joke hah!
Reply 12
I guess they thought that the councils' good taste standards had sunk too low lately, and they wanted to stop it sliding any further.
Reply 13
As someone who has been on a sinking ship...I totally agree. It's hardly insensitive O_o It quite obviously looks nothing like an actual ship. If someone left with severe PTSD from the Titanic rose from the dead and saw the slide I think we would have bigger the things to worry about than if they were upset! Zombie uprising being the primary one...
Reply 14
Original post by goape
I guess they thought that the councils' good taste standards had sunk too low lately, and they wanted to stop it sliding any further.

Dude, you're definitely going overboard with these jokes. Still, whatever floats your boat.
I think it's very bad taste.

But what this all has to do with is the Northern Ireland govt's appropriation of the disaster as a means fo drawing attention to Northern Ireland and promoting tourism and investment. It's all about money, and yeah...I think it's all a bit insenstive and tasteless. There is a difference between commemoration and making a festival out of something. What it seems like is that people are making a 'celebration' our of it, ignoring the fact that it was a tragedy in which 1500 people died.

I can't imagine similar events being organised for, say, the London Tube bombings or any of the political violence which happened in Northern Ireland. Perhaps that's because the deaths, injuries and psychological trauma are more recent and affect us more, and any of the 'Titanic' style events transferred to them would seem to most people to be spectacularly tasteless. However, just because these people died 100 years ago doesn't mean they or their relatives are any less deserving of sensitivity and respect. So, please,I would really like the people who are putting these things on to have some respect for the people who died and stop treating a tragedy in this manner - it's repugnant.
(edited 11 years ago)
distaste would be a bungee jump for twin towers or something its a bouncy castle FOR KIDS! and i didnt even think it was a celebration or anything just random bouncy castles for kids that the council always do each year for them in that area?
its an easy way for kids to be like; "dad, why is there a boat like that" if anything its educational but hey thats my viewpoint and everyone is welcome to theres :smile:
Can't do anything without upsetting someone nowadays.
Reply 18
In fairness...it's not the most tasteful thing in the world. But is inevitable that, as time goes on, things lose their sting. A million people supposedly died as a result of Caesar's campaigns in Gaul (although that number is probably exaggerated), but people don't generally think about that as a tragedy. I'm sure one day - as strange as it may seem to us - something like the Holocaust will be seen as just another historical event, rather than an emotive and immediate one.

Sad, but inevitable.
Original post by geetar
I'm sure one day - as strange as it may seem to us - something like the Holocaust will be seen as just another historical event, rather than an emotive and immediate one.

Sad, but inevitable.

and i am sure another event will take its place.

Quick Reply

Latest