Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Hi there,

I applied for Kent 5 weeks ago (short-term study for EU-students).
Do you know how much time it will take to accept my application?
I am so nervous, I really can't wait any days longer... So worried about my application :frown:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 1361
Original post by Mexxine
Hi there,

I applied for Kent for 5 weeks (short-term study for EU-students).
Do you know how much time it will take to accept my application?
I am so nervous, I really can't wait any days longer... So worried about my application :frown:.

5 weeks study?
I've never heard of it ^^ What do you do?
Reply 1362
Original post by Onique
5 weeks study?
I've never heard of it ^^ What do you do?

Oh sorry, I mean: I applied 5 weeks ago.
Reply 1363
Hey everyone!

Just accepted War Studies as my firm choice and have now completed an application for the Darwin accommodation!

Please say there are more military buffs applying for this course?! :biggrin:
Original post by Bruin_
Hey everyone!

Just accepted War Studies as my firm choice and have now completed an application for the Darwin accommodation!

Please say there are more military buffs applying for this course?! :biggrin:

I'm not doing war studies but conflict, peace and security... Similar innit? :biggrin:
Reply 1365
Original post by LauraMial
I'm not doing war studies but conflict, peace and security... Similar innit? :biggrin:

It's a more diluted version of it :P
Original post by Bruin_
It's a more diluted version of it :P

yeah I've just read it is a course of the school of history, while mine is Politics and IR :smile: and yours takes you to a career in the military, doesn't it? mmm
Reply 1367
yeah I've just read it is a course of the school of history, while mine is Politics and IR :smile: and yours takes you to a career in the military, doesn't it? mmm

Yea, I wasn't impressed with the Poll IR department when I went to the open day..
It seemed they lacked enthusiasm compared to the Head of History who performed our teaser lecturer, he was amazing. War Studies is looking at the theory of war itself, and how a commander would go about winning one. You guys look at it within the frameworks of international politics and look at it's relevance. (I think) :P
(edited 11 years ago)
ahhh so excited to come to Kent :smile:
hope there are nice people in the halls i am, wish we found these out earlier!
did you know Kent is top for most attractive uni students hahah hilarious!
however, i have a question, on their website it said i only needed a B in english lit, to take english and american lit with film studies, but my offer is an A is english now. (AAB)
Though i did well last year, unfortunately my coursework (which we completed by christmas!) this year, will not bring my grade to an A unless i pretty much get full marks in the exam ( my teacher told me )....which is unlikely! as usually i would just scrape an A. Therefore if i got a B overall or an A in the exam but a lower grade in my coursework and AA in other two subjects, would Kent accept this,considering on their website it said the grade offering were B in english or would it be a decline.
I know other students have this problem on results day and its just luck if a uni does accept you on lower grade boundaries but i am concerned as i can't get that grade now :frown:
sorry for the rant, just wondering if people know if kent has accepted people like this in a similar situation before? :smile:
Reply 1369
Source: Current Student

Your first year on campus will be one of the best years of your life!
Reply 1370
Original post by apatch3
Source: Current Student

Your first year on campus will be one of the best years of your life!

What do you make of Darwin college accommodation? By the raving reviews I have read it does not hold a candle up to Parkwood, maybe I have made a mistake in putting down Darwin as my first choice... :/
Original post by Bruin_
Yea, I wasn't impressed with the Poll IR department when I went to the open day..
It seemed they lacked enthusiasm compared to the Head of History who performed our teaser lecturer, he was amazing. War Studies is looking at the theory of war itself, and how a commander would go about winning one. You guys look at it within the frameworks of international politics and look at it's relevance. (I think) :P

yep you're right.. the woman who led the presentation at PolIr was too..quiet I guess :biggrin: but I liked the professor who gave a sample lecture on the arab spring...
What's exactly the career path you'll follow?
Reply 1372
yep you're right.. the woman who led the presentation at PolIr was too..quiet I guess :biggrin: but I liked the professor who gave a sample lecture on the arab spring...
What's exactly the career path you'll follow?

The bloke who delivered the Arab Spring part was much better, the quiet little Irish women was so disengaging :P ... I want to join the Armed Forces and train as an officer and then potentially a defense advisory, but to be honest I would love to teach as a job as well, especially military history, a subject that has been really overlooked. I do politics now as an A-Level so I'm really lucky in that sense, I guess I would join you Poll IR lot in a mock UN security council meeting (hopefully be Russia again and just veto anything that threatens my weapons contract with the Syrian government! haha) :biggrin: ... I chose War Studies over history because I'm fed up all the time of learning about social impacts and fiscal policies of past Monarchs.... stupid curriculum, teach me about how we defeated those Spaniards in battle in 1588 and 1805!

How about you? I assume something in diplomacy? :P
(edited 11 years ago)
I firmed my position last week. I applied for Architecture, but unsure of whether or not I want to stay in that course. I'm so excited to come to England!
Original post by daniellaUS
ahhh so excited to come to Kent :smile:
hope there are nice people in the halls i am, wish we found these out earlier!
did you know Kent is top for most attractive uni students hahah hilarious!
however, i have a question, on their website it said i only needed a B in english lit, to take english and american lit with film studies, but my offer is an A is english now. (AAB)
Though i did well last year, unfortunately my coursework (which we completed by christmas!) this year, will not bring my grade to an A unless i pretty much get full marks in the exam ( my teacher told me )....which is unlikely! as usually i would just scrape an A. Therefore if i got a B overall or an A in the exam but a lower grade in my coursework and AA in other two subjects, would Kent accept this,considering on their website it said the grade offering were B in english or would it be a decline.
I know other students have this problem on results day and its just luck if a uni does accept you on lower grade boundaries but i am concerned as i can't get that grade now :frown:
sorry for the rant, just wondering if people know if kent has accepted people like this in a similar situation before? :smile:

I'm in the same situation as you - on the website and UCAS it stated that they require a B in human biology to get into Biomedical Science but my offer requires an A in human bio, which is gonna be difficult to achieve. However, I firmed my offer just incase hoping they'll be lenient if I get a high B. But I am also wondering if kent are that lenient?
Original post by merdagraxa
I'm in the same situation as you - on the website and UCAS it stated that they require a B in human biology to get into Biomedical Science but my offer requires an A in human bio, which is gonna be difficult to achieve. However, I firmed my offer just incase hoping they'll be lenient if I get a high B. But I am also wondering if kent are that lenient?

Hmm, it is fustrating, however i just checked my offer again and it said AAB including english lit, therefore i don't necessarily need to get an A in that subject, as long as i achieve the AAB offer. I mis read mine so maybe go back to yours and check to see what it says exactly- you could always email them asking, which i may do anyways. good luck!
ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN TO KENT ARE THEY LENIENT ON GRADES? taaa :smile:
Original post by daniellaUS
Hmm, it is fustrating, however i just checked my offer again and it said AAB including english lit, therefore i don't necessarily need to get an A in that subject, as long as i achieve the AAB offer. I mis read mine so maybe go back to yours and check to see what it says exactly- you could always email them asking, which i may do anyways. good luck!
ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN TO KENT ARE THEY LENIENT ON GRADES? taaa :smile:

I remember reading on here about people in the maths department being let in with low grades...couldn't point you to exactly where I read it though! :colondollar:
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I remember reading on here about people in the maths department being let in with low grades...couldn't point you to exactly where I read it though! :colondollar:

oohh okay thank ya:biggrin:
Original post by Bruin_
The bloke who delivered the Arab Spring part was much better, the quiet little Irish women was so disengaging :P ... I want to join the Armed Forces and train as an officer and then potentially a defense advisory, but to be honest I would love to teach as a job as well, especially military history, a subject that has been really overlooked. I do politics now as an A-Level so I'm really lucky in that sense, I guess I would join you Poll IR lot in a mock UN security council meeting (hopefully be Russia again and just veto anything that threatens my weapons contract with the Syrian government! haha) :biggrin: ... I chose War Studies over history because I'm fed up all the time of learning about social impacts and fiscal policies of past Monarchs.... stupid curriculum, teach me about how we defeated those Spaniards in battle in 1588 and 1805!

How about you? I assume something in diplomacy? :P

Yes, you ARE lucky doing politics as an A level because in Italy we just do a lot of (bad taught) history, so I could say my interests are the 'opposite' of yours.. I wanna know the consequences of a war, and possibly avoid it! LOL do you know if they really do those mock UN security council meetings? I was silly enough at the open day I didn't pose such a question LOL and thought I would join UKCMUN right during freshers :biggrin:

My main career goal is not being a diplomat.. I went to an event in my town where some members of the italian Foreign Office explained the job.. i just thought it was too 'easy'.
Let's say I would like to end up in the UN DPA/security council and make you sign that resolution ahah.
Have you ever heard of CSIS or Ploughshares Fund? I would also like to make some work experience there :smile:
Reply 1379
Yes, you ARE lucky doing politics as an A level because in Italy we just do a lot of (bad taught) history, so I could say my interests are the 'opposite' of yours.. I wanna know the consequences of a war, and possibly avoid it! LOL do you know if they really do those mock UN security council meetings? I was silly enough at the open day I didn't pose such a question LOL and thought I would join UKCMUN right during freshers :biggrin:

My main career goal is not being a diplomat.. I went to an event in my town where some members of the italian Foreign Office explained the job.. i just thought it was too 'easy'.
Let's say I would like to end up in the UN DPA/security council and make you sign that resolution ahah.
Have you ever heard of CSIS or Ploughshares Fund? I would also like to make some work experience there :smile:

I do recall someone saying something about a mock UN during PollIR open day :P
And no, never heard of those institutions lol I'm assuming some sort of supranational IGO that drains the economy and sovereignty of the nation state! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending