The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Millyshyn
What did everyone get for the calculations in question 5? I saved the answers in my calculator.. Got 2.81g for the first one, 2.21mol/dm^3 for the next one, 8.98% for the atom economy and B2Cl4 for the molecular formula one.
Thought it was an ok paper but I panicked in the same way I did in January because I was running out of time..

Exactly what i got :biggrin:
But I didn't understand why i got my answer for the concentration though. I did
moles of HCL divided by 500*10^-3
but isn't the 500cm^3 the volume of the whole solution? I was running out of time so I wrote it down as my answer anyway, but I'm still confused.
I was relying on this to pull up my unit 2 :frown:
Original post by jodiedoodles
What did anyone put for the structure of titanium? And also, on the one where you had to use the ideal gas equation, did you divide the moles by 5 then work out mass as there was 5 moles of product and we wanted it for one mole of reactant? Got myself really confused!

I said that titanium is metallic, and yes, you had to divide by number of gas moles, which was 5 :smile:
Reply 523
Was this easier than Jan?
Reply 524
Original post by Pinkhead
Isn't Boron diatomic? so it should be B2 + 3Cl2 ----> 2BCl3

I'm not sure as on the next question it was saying pure boron iss formed and its chemical formulae was just B , so i'm not sure :s-smilie:
Original post by radardetector
boron can be both monatomic and diatomic :smile:

So which one would be the right equation? :s-smilie:
Perhaps they'll have 2 possible options?
So which one would be the right equation? :s-smilie:
Perhaps they'll have 2 possible options?

yeah will give both answers in mark scheme and will allow any multiples :smile:
Exactly what i got :biggrin:
But I didn't understand why i got my answer for the concentration though. I did
moles of HCL divided by 500*10^-3
but isn't the 500cm^3 the volume of the whole solution? I was running out of time so I wrote it down as my answer anyway, but I'm still confused.

Yeah, you work out the concentration of HCl in the mixed solution.
Are you sure you divided moles of HCl and not moles of BCl3? Because it didn't give you the mass of HCl to work out the moles with.
Original post by erniiee
Was this easier than Jan?

Yes, I found this one tougher, but I didn't really find Jan 2012 to be that hard, so it might not be a very representative opinion
Reply 529
Is anyone making an unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 530
Just waiting for someone to post one of those unofficial markscheme things..
Original post by Millyshyn
Yeah, you work out the concentration of HCl in the mixed solution.
Are you sure you divided moles of HCl and not moles of BCl3? Because it didn't give you the mass of HCl to work out the moles with.

The ratio of HCl to BCl3 was 3:1 because it was 3HCL.
So I worked out the moles using the mass, and multipied by 3.
Neeloo, not neccisarily the questions. But the whole format of the paper. Maths and the end and then loads of little 1 mark hydrocarbon questions
Reply 533
Did anyone get this for the equation of boric acid with sodium hydroxide?

H3BO3 + 3NaOH ---> Na3BO3 + 3H2O
Unofficial Mark Scheme anybody ?
Original post by Zytex
Did anyone get this for the equation of boric acid with sodium hydroxide?

H3BO3 + 3NaOH ---> Na3BO3 + 3H2O

Yeh, I got this as well.
I said that titanium is metallic, and yes, you had to divide by number of gas moles, which was 5 :smile:

Aaah I put titanium was hexagonal close packed structure, as it said it had bonding similar to magnesium which is hexagonal close packed :frown:
Reply 537
Original post by Abbieastoria
Neeloo, not neccisarily the questions. But the whole format of the paper. Maths and the end and then loads of little 1 mark hydrocarbon questions

oh right, normally I find the calculations difficuilt too because I make small mistakes or punch the wrong things in to my calculator lol but this time I found the last question were fine, pv=nrt questions made me think though since one gas had 3 mole and the other 5 it gave you the the total volume? ANh yeah I found those one markers weirs, what did you write as the reagent?
Original post by lochbeau
Think I got completely difference answers to this which is quite scary, wasn't confident about the calculations either :frown: I got 14% for the atom economy, 14.06g and I can't even remember the mole one.

for the 14.06g one did you not divide the number of moles found with pv=nrt by 5 as it was the moles for all the gases produced (5 molecules) and use that to find out the mass? i got around 14g the first time then read the question again and got around 2g or something
How many marks will I get for dividing by 6 instead of 5 in the gas calculation if I did everything else correctly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending