The Student Room Group

Pretty sure i just failed my economics EC1

..and surely feel like dying in a hole. What i don't understand is how people manage to do so well.. Basically, there's such a wide range of topics to cover that i spent 3 months trying to remember and learn them all, which to me, only seems logical; acknowledging the fact that anything could come up in the test. However, i found myself having to revise the same thing over again; it was kind of like how when you try to carry a lot of things; you drop one thing, pick it up, something else falls, you pick it up etc. I really just want to know how to manage subjects like economics more efficiently where there's a wide specification, but only a few questions out of the specification comes up.. I really thought i would nail this.. I know i haven't though.. :[ I have my EC2 in a few days, maybe i could pull my grades up with that..

Edit: I'm talking about WJEC.. just to be clear.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Make a list of the major topics.
Summarise them.
Define important terms.
Write advantages and disadvantages of each policy.

Learn the exam technique.
Back when I did Economics in my IGCSEs, I realised that simply memorising topics or trying rote learning would lead me to failure.

You have to realise that Economics is centred around certain key concepts. For example, if you increase interest rates.... Entrepreneurs are less likely to setup businesses as they can't get cheap financing. People may be tempted to deposit cash in banks to reap high returns.

Decreased spending will decrease demand. Lower demand will mean a decrease in prices.

You could go on to debate aggregate demand, the effect on demand pull inflation, unemployment, the social effects of unemployment, aggregate demand and so on and so forth.

In conclusion, understand the fundamental inner workings of the economic machine and apply it to the necessary questions.

I hope I've helped.
Reply 3
Original post by jade456
..and surely feel like dying in a hole. What i don't understand is how people manage to do so well.. Basically, there's such a wide range of topics to cover that i spent 3 months trying to remember and learn them all, which to me, only seems logical; acknowledging the fact that anything could come up in the test. However, i found myself having to revise the same thing over again; it was kind of like how when you try to carry a lot of things; you drop one thing, pick it up, something else falls, you pick it up etc. I really just want to know how to manage subjects like economics more efficiently where there's a wide specification, but only a few questions out of the specification comes up.. I really thought i would nail this.. I know i haven't though.. :[ I have my EC2 in a few days, maybe i could pull my grades up with that..

are you talking about AQA econ1? mate...the whole syllabus = basic demand and supply, elasticity, basic market failure and government intervention. I just did that exam, it was a piece of piss. Instead of worrying about how much there is to learn try to consolidate the knowledge and take it for what it is, which is pretty simple stuff.

EDIT: the comment above this one is a great piece of advice, memorisation won't work in this subject. It's important to keep in mind the fundamental economic proble, and that economics is the study of economising, literally. We want to determine the best course of action which makes best use of our scarce resources.
(edited 11 years ago)
economics isn't about memorising. it's about understanding key economic models and the roles variables play in changing these models. once you understand them, you can show anything with them.
Reply 5
Original post by hockeyjoe
are you talking about AQA econ1? mate...the whole syllabus = basic demand and supply, elasticity, basic market failure and government intervention. I just did that exam, it was a piece of piss. Instead of worrying about how much there is to learn try to consolidate the knowledge and take it for what it is, which is pretty simple stuff.

EDIT: the comment above this one is a great piece of advice, memorisation won't work in this subject. It's important to keep in mind the fundamental economic proble, and that economics is the study of economising, literally. We want to determine the best course of action which makes best use of our scarce resources.

mate.... i did a different exam. It was WJEC EC1... there was one 2mark question on elasticity and a 2 mark question on d/s... it really wasn't simple.. Even though I'm aware this isn't a subject you can merely memorise, i do actually understand it when it's all in front of me, yet once i'm sat in an exam i believe there are slot of things you have to remember and understand. Trust me if this was a test on understanding, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't be in this position right now.. I'm glad your exam went well. Thanks for your reply.
Reply 6
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
Back when I did Economics in my IGCSEs, I realised that simply memorising topics or trying rote learning would lead me to failure.

You have to realise that Economics is centred around certain key concepts. For example, if you increase interest rates.... Entrepreneurs are less likely to setup businesses as they can't get cheap financing. People may be tempted to deposit cash in banks to reap high returns.

Decreased spending will decrease demand. Lower demand will mean a decrease in prices.

You could go on to debate aggregate demand, the effect on demand pull inflation, unemployment, the social effects of unemployment, aggregate demand and so on and so forth.

In conclusion, understand the fundamental inner workings of the economic machine and apply it to the necessary questions.

I hope I've helped.

Thank you, but i do understand all of this. It's just that with economics, there's always something creeping up that you've never seen/ heard of despite attempting to learn an entire student booklet. :[
Reply 7
Original post by . .
Make a list of the major topics.
Summarise them.
Define important terms.
Write advantages and disadvantages of each policy.

Learn the exam technique.

Thankyou, I'll give it a go.. :smile:
Original post by jade456
Thank you, but i do understand all of this. It's just that with economics, there's always something creeping up that you've never seen/ heard of despite attempting to learn an entire student booklet. :[

If you find you're lacking in terms of past paper practice.... Take a look at this exam board's papers :

Click Here

Plenty of papers with all the mark schemes. Also, files with the extension _er are examiner reports.

Take a look at them. Read the mark scheme. Talk to yourself aloud. Get in the mood of drawing on information from in from all over the syllabus.

Good luck :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by jade456
mate.... i did a different exam. It was WJEC EC1... there was one 2mark question on elasticity and a 2 mark question on d/s... it really wasn't simple.. Even though I'm aware this isn't a subject you can merely memorise, i do actually understand it when it's all in front of me, yet once i'm sat in an exam i believe there are slot of things you have to remember and understand. Trust me if this was a test on understanding, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't be in this position right now.. I'm glad your exam went well. Thanks for your reply.

My bad, OCR and WJEC must have been on at the same time. Sorry if the reply seemed insensitive.
I pretty much feel like dying in a hole after each of my exams this year. I don't know this year isn't good, or my new schools exam hall is pure bad luck but each of my exams has gone terrible :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by jade456

I can tell you that ped was 0.4 and that question for bricklayers .... supply increased and demand decreased.
Reply 12
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
If you find you're lacking in terms of past paper practice.... Take a look at this exam board's papers :

Click Here

Plenty of papers with all the mark schemes. Also, files with the extension _er are examiner reports.

Take a look at them. Read the mark scheme. Talk to yourself aloud. Get in the mood of drawing on information from in from all over the syllabus.

Good luck :wink:

I did all 5 past papers and looked at all of the mark schemes... but thank you.
Reply 13
Original post by Tanomc
I can tell you that ped was 0.4 and that question for bricklayers .... supply increased and demand decreased.

Well at least i had the ped one right... I shifted demand right last minute for the house mortgage one.. I've no idea why, i panicked then just did it within the last minute of exam.. stupid me. I'm destined for failure.. I left supply as it was though.. maybe they'll give me a mark out of pity...
Reply 14
Original post by Roshniroxy
I pretty much feel like dying in a hole after each of my exams this year. I don't know this year isn't good, or my new schools exam hall is pure bad luck but each of my exams has gone terrible :frown:

Oh no :frown: I think today i was destined for failure, couldn't find my watch, spilt over a glass of water; whilst waiting outside the exam room, a kid got beat up by the vending machines which slightly uneased my 'calm pre-exam attitude', sigh...
Reply 15
Original post by jade456

why do we tie so much importance to exams, that we feel terrible when we don't achieve as high as we wanted? I mean, they're just exams at the end of the day, you need to pick yourself up, move on, ready for the next one.

And OP, they really aren't impossible. When you get the hang of economics exams, they become easy (well maybe not easy). Get your teachers to help you. You'll find that it's not just about remembering everything, it's not a science exam. But it's about being able to discuss, being able to understand the complicated concepts. Being able to use the economics terms confidently. And these are all learnable skills.

I'm assuming you're doing OCR's economics.

When you're revising for unit 2, think about the effectiveness of policies rather than just all the factors of aggregate demand for example. I mean, when will you get into the test and have to recite all of those? - be able to expand on a handful of them. Think about the last question. It's always going to be about a particular policy, or about a particular objective or problem that the government want to rectify. Then think about what you might say to counter the argument. If you don't evaluate, you're stuck at 12 out of 18. One evaluative point, you're at 14 out of 18 almost without a doubt.
And use the economics terms, say inflation, balance of payments. But also say things like sticky downwards, productive potential, government information failure, the multiplier effect, marginal propensity to invest invest.

It is doable.

edit: oh Wjec, oh well the same thing applies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
It was harder then previous years. I found the last one hard, my teacher said it as supposed to be an A2 question. I think overall for an A you will need 32/50. Just my guess.
How did everyone find this exam? Would you say it was easy or hard compared to the January 2012 exam?
I definitely failed that 25 mark question :frown:
Oh and also what did anyone get for the MC question on price elasticity of demand i think, sorryy i cant remember the question properly but the options were something like 1.33, 2.00 , 2.33 ,3.33 what did people put down as the answer? (This is for AQA exam btw)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Pride
why do we tie so much importance to exams, that we feel terrible when we don't achieve as high as we wanted? I mean, they're just exams at the end of the day, you need to pick yourself up, move on, ready for the next one.

At A-level , your future depends on exams. If you resit... cant get into any good universities, cant 'get anywhere in life'. Same goes with failing the exams.
Reply 19
Original post by Pride

And OP, they really aren't impossible. When you get the hang of economics exams, they become easy (well maybe not easy). Get your teachers to help you. You'll find that it's not just about remembering everything, it's not a science exam. But it's about being able to discuss, being able to understand the complicated concepts. Being able to use the economics terms confidently. And these are all learnable skills.

I'm assuming you're doing OCR's economics.

When you're revising for unit 2, think about the effectiveness of policies rather than just all the factors of aggregate demand for example. I mean, when will you get into the test and have to recite all of those? - be able to expand on a handful of them. Think about the last question. It's always going to be about a particular policy, or about a particular objective or problem that the government want to rectify. Then think about what you might say to counter the argument. If you don't evaluate, you're stuck at 12 out of 18. One evaluative point, you're at 14 out of 18 almost without a doubt.
And use the economics terms, say inflation, balance of payments. But also say things like sticky downwards, productive potential, government information failure, the multiplier effect, marginal propensity to invest invest.

It is doable.

edit: oh Wjec, oh well the same thing applies.

Haha yeah, i was just about to say; it's WJEC. But thankyou, this is all still very encouraging; i think my problem is the terms. I misunderstood the term 'trade defecit' and spoke about a budget defecit all the way through an 8 mark question, which is ridiculously stupid. I also couldn't decide whether an interest rate increase on a mortgage was a good or bath thing, which again.. pretty dull. And in regards to the importance of exams; to me they are more than just exams, I've been in college now for almost 3 years, I'll be turning 19 and in classes full of 16 year old (which isn't bad) but i could be in uni actually progressing with my life rather than being stuck in a time-bubble of failure and futile attempts at academia.. wow sorry.. slight breakdown. But thanks for your reply..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending