The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sick
Reply 21
Original post by Yorrap
What happens then? (I am not asking the fusion process but the expirements at CERN)

What is the purpose of colliding them and overcoming strong nuclear force(s)?

If protons are collided together with not enough energy, the positively charged protons will repel each other and bounce back off keeping their internal secrets. Scientists collide protons with high energies so that when they collide the repulsive forces and then the forces holding the structure of the protons are overcome and they break off into their sub-particles. By determining the mass of these sub-particles, their nature is determined. This allows scientists to either discover new particles or confirm the existence of already discovered ones.
Reply 22
Ughhh!! I freaking hate this unit. But somehow I like Unit 5 better than this crap!!!
Reply 23
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1971547 this is a link to another thread contains all the jan 2012 papers for physics
Subscribing
Great thread!

I managed an A in the Jan paper, but I'm trying for an A*, so I'm retaking it. I find that sometimes the EM fields questions go right over my head, which is where I lose marks (and certainly where I lost marks in that god-awful Jan exam! :P)
Does any one have freaking predictions about this year's physics Unit 4 paper????? any ideas what type of question will come most and from what topic???......
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
Does any one have freaking predictions about this year's physics Unit 4 paper????? any ideas what type of question will come most and from what topic???......

If you try to work out what's going to come up, it'll probably take as much as effort as going over the material and preparing for any possibility.

But I'm really hoping we don't have another ridiculously fields-heavy paper like in Jan...
Reply 28
I hope a big question on further mechanics won't come. Its soo hard! Harder than Unit 1 Phys!!
Reply 29
I have a feeling the questions (and diagrams) from January will be re-used but the questions very slightly altered.
why would you think that?
Reply 31
The other units consisted of essentially the same material as the January modules... Exam boards are lazy.
I dont trust you ahmed. Its like you want to fool me into revising for the same stuff that came up in jan, only to be thrown into the deep end when i open up the paper to see otherwise. Sneaky, very sneaky.
Reply 33
Original post by Josh.Holloway
I dont trust you ahmed. Its like you want to fool me into revising for the same stuff that came up in jan, only to be thrown into the deep end when i open up the paper to see otherwise. Sneaky, very sneaky.

Do you consider people's advices over the internet that seriously?
I wouldn't even take my teacher's word for gold, let alone someone else's. Anyways, we cannot predict anything really. Just learn what's on the spec., the important definitions and know your content inside out and then hopefully you will be fine. And yes, past papers are your best friends, so do not forget to solve any that you can get your hands on. Hope this helps. All the best for the exam.
Original post by M Kh
Do you consider people's advices over the internet that seriously?
I wouldn't even take my teacher's word for gold, let alone someone else's. Anyways, we cannot predict anything really. Just learn what's on the spec., the important definitions and know your content inside out and then hopefully you will be fine. And yes, past papers are your best friends, so do not forget to solve any that you can get your hands on. Hope this helps. All the best for the exam.

Alright calm it man, was just joking around. Not taking your teachers word for gold is a bit of an over exaggeration though.
Reply 35
Alright calm it man, was just joking around. Not taking your teachers word for gold is a bit of an over exaggeration though.

I meant I wouldn't take my teachers' words about any exam predictions for gold. Actually, I don't really have a teacher. The ones I used to have were learning the new spec. at the same pace as us.
Reply 36

Hahaha, I'm learning it all, just have a feeling it will be v similar
Ok kiddies, put the claws away :P

It would probably be a safe bet more run of the mill (as opposed to the chinese which was in our paper in jan) mechanics will turn up... my guy instinct says a 3/4/5 marker on conservation momentum in 2 dimensions. But with a bit of luck, a bit less qualifying of EM stuff and a bit more quantifying :P
Reply 38
Original post by nevetstreblig
Ok kiddies, put the claws away :P

It would probably be a safe bet more run of the mill (as opposed to the chinese which was in our paper in jan) mechanics will turn up... my guy instinct says a 3/4/5 marker on conservation momentum in 2 dimensions. But with a bit of luck, a bit less qualifying of EM stuff and a bit more quantifying :P

Ughh! God. I freaking hate further mechanics. Yaa. I've been thinking they'd bring up those; also what else do you think would come? What else did your teacher say?
Reply 39
Original post by nevetstreblig

I'm convinced that we're overdue a 2d momentum question.
This time around, I am going to write the equation in the answers for all the quantifying questions even if it is a long wordy question as looking at the Jan 12 markscheme I lost a lot of marks by not doing this.

Latest

Trending

Trending