The Student Room Group

Would you have a relationship with a transgender person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cl_steele

Physically yes but none the less...

I mean you have every right to not want to date them...it just doesn't make sense to me because they seem to be everything you want...they have all the parts you want...they would probably behave as the preferred gender...so I just don't understand what your objection is. Thats all.
How were they not? By definition is they are a post op trans-sexual theyd have had to have been male to start with...?

they were never male... just unfortunatly had to inhabit a male body/be treated as male by others

but they, themselves, were never male, or a boy...
Reply 62
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I mean you have every right to not want to date them...it just doesn't make sense to me because they seem to be everything you want...they have all the parts you want...they would probably behave as the preferred gender...so I just don't understand what your objection is. Thats all.

Just personal prefference to be honest, i have nothing against them im sure theyre lovely people i just personally dont find myself remotely attracted to them. Everyone to there own and all you know.
Reply 63
Original post by fallen_acorns
they were never male... just unfortunatly had to inhabit a male body/be treated as male by others

That depends on how you define 'male'. I, and the United Kingdom, define being male as possessing male genitalia. If you were born with it, then you were born male. Simple as that.
Reply 64

Personally i think it depends on how you look at it, i feel that if you were born a boy or girl you are a boy or girl, you can shout to high heaven that you should have been born the opposite but i just think that you're born what you're born to be quite honest. Of course some will disagree with that mind set but hey ho everyones entitled to their own opinion right?
Personally i think it depends on how you look at it, i feel that if you were born a boy or girl you are a boy or girl, you can shout to high heaven that you should have been born the opposite but i just think that you're born what you're born to be quite honest. Of course some will disagree with that mind set but hey ho everyones entitled to their own opinion right?

yes everyone is entitled to their opinion...

its just that some of ours are backed by the scientific and medical comunities

and others well, arent :rolleyes:
I'd say my knowledge of transgender issues is pretty poor, so whilst I'm sure there are plenty of lovely trans people out there, I don't think I would be comfortable due to my lack of knowledge on them.
Original post by Borderline
That depends on how you define 'male'. I, and the United Kingdom, define being male as possessing male genitalia. If you were born with it, then you were born male. Simple as that.

no... actually the united kingdom, doesnt define male like that -

legaly in the UK, you can be male and have a vagina...

look it up, before you post crap...:smile:
Reply 68

Could you please direct me to that law? And don't be so aggressive, I was perfectly polite in my comment. Just because you may (or may not) be a transsexual does not mean that you can dictate the definition of male or tell me I am wrong in my definition.
No I wouldn't as I want kids eventually.
Reply 70
Could you please direct me to that law? And don't be so aggressive, I was perfectly polite in my comment. Just because you may (or may not) be a transsexual does not mean that you can dictate the definition of male or tell me I am wrong in my definition.

They weren't dictating the definition of male, they were corrected your wrong assumption about it.

You can think that the definition of male involves genitals all you want but if you try and say the law does too, you should be corrected.
Reply 71

Never mind my previous comment, I found the law myself. But still, I believe if you have male genitalia then you are male, regardless of what the person might think they are. You can change you gender, if you have reassignment surgery.
(edited 11 years ago)

sorry if i came across as agressive - but its easy to get resentfull, when you face so much trouble from people, on a daily basis, for just trying to live a normal life..

anyway:

from the United Kingdom Gender Recognition Act (look it up if you wish)

''Where the person's birth was originally registered in the UK, the GRC may be used to obtain a new birth certificate. Those seeking a change of gender status must provide the GRP with evidence of a diagnosis of persistent gender dysphoria, and must convince it of their intention to live in the new role for the rest of their lives. This is a paper exercise and does not require the applicant to appear in person. Details of medical treatment and relevant dates are required. Genital surgery is not a requirement, although where it has taken place, applicants must supply details.''

so you can be recognised legally as male in the uk, whilst still having a vagina
Reply 73
Original post by blu tack
They weren't dictating the definition of male, they were corrected your wrong assumption about it.

You can think that the definition of male involves genitals all you want but if you try and say the law does too, you should be corrected.

Oh yeah, I agree that I should have been corrected - I'm actually glad to learn the truth about the law. However, I don't feel there is a need for passive-aggressive, bitchy comments when I clearly made an innocent mistake.
Never mind my previous comment, I found the law myself. But still, I believe if you have male genitalia then you are male, regardless of one what the person might think they are. You can change you gender, if you have reassignment surgery.

you are gettting sex/gender mixed up...

but you are correct, you cant change your gender...

a female person is still female, and will always bee female regardless of what is between their legs

trans people, dont wish to change their gender - but rather to have their physical body match the gender they already are...

Imagine how you would feel, if you suddenly woke up in the body of the oposite sex, with your current brain?- thats how a trans person feels, each day
Never mind my previous comment, I found the law myself. But still, I believe if you have male genitalia then you are male, regardless of one what the person might think they are. You can change you gender, if you have reassignment surgery.

Just going to say your sex changes when you have sex reassignment surgery. Also if you followed what you said that your genitalia determine your sex then if you had surgery your sex would change and not necessarily your gender. I'm not trying to be aggressive...just pointed something out. :smile:
Oh yeah, I agree that I should have been corrected - I'm actually glad to learn the truth about the law. However, I don't feel there is a need for passive-aggressive, bitchy comments when I clearly made an innocent mistake.

once again, im sorry if i came across as agressive - but i mean, after a whole thread of people being discusted at you - when all your trying to do is live your life normally, and conform your body to how you feel..(something everyone else takes for granted).. a person can get quite resentfull

a female person is still female, and will always bee female regardless of what is between their legs

trans people, dont wish to change their gender - but rather to have their physical body match the gender they already are...

Imagine how you would feel, if you suddenly woke up in the body of the oposite sex, with your current brain?- thats how a trans person feels, each day

Um....no...this isn't true....You can change both your sex and your gender if you accept what Borderline said. Sex is determined by your genitalia, therefore surgery would change your sex. Gender is separate from your sex, in that it is the social role and identity of being a man or woman...This can definitely be changed as well...someone brought up as a boy, who is male, can become a woman. And similarly someone who is brought up as a girl, who is female, can become a man. They could also change their sex. Also just to be clear...you can change your sex but not your gender....hope that clears things up a bit...
Reply 78

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, because it truly isn't intended that way. But transgender people, I believe, may think what they wish, but that their gender corresponds to their body. Just because somebody feels that they "know" their gender does not correspond to their body does not mean they are right. Many people think that they are certain of things that are, in reality, not the case.

You really shouldn't be dictating what you are saying as fact. None of this has been proven, and to me the idea that a man can be "born in a woman's body" is more unlikely. But still, I respect your opinion and have written with that in mind - you, however, speak about this as though you are doubtlessly correct.
I hope this doesn't come across as rude, because it truly isn't intended that way. But transgender people, I believe, may think what they wish, but that their gender corresponds to their body. Just because somebody feels that they "know" their gender does not correspond to their body does not mean they are right. Many people think that they are certain of things that are, in reality, not the case.

You really shouldn't be dictating what you are saying as fact. None of this has been proven, and to me the idea that a man can be "born in a woman's body" is more unlikely. But still, I respect your opinion and have written with that in mind - you, however, speak about this as though you are doubtlessly correct.

Well gender is a term that was created by sociologist to describe the phenomenon of social roles that exist in a society. Some societies have more than two. Some have 3 or more. So...to say that gender isn't something that is fact...is a bit ill-informed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending