The Student Room Group
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah but that's because maths opens up the heavily quant careers which most people don't consider anyway. MORSE is equal to maths for most careers and better if you want to be an actuary because of the exemptions it gives you.

Nope straight maths is always better than morse. For actuarial careers they won't choose a morse guy from Warwick over a maths guy from imperial just because he does morse.
Original post by squish562
Nope straight maths is always better than morse. For actuarial careers they won't choose a morse guy from Warwick over a maths guy from imperial just because he does morse.

Cool I don't really know much about this stuff. Morse does seem to have a bad rep here on tsr. Hopefully employers don't hate it as much.
Original post by Trapz99
Cool I don't really know much about this stuff. Morse does seem to have a bad rep here on tsr. Hopefully employers don't hate it as much.

It's not hated by employers but it just doesn't open up all the opportunities a maths degree opens up, such as data science and quant careers.
Financial Computing BSc Liverpool??
Original post by life.of.pablo
Financial Computing BSc Liverpool??

Would be a struggle as Liverpool doesn't tend to show up in summer/grad/spring week classes nor do many banks actively target it. Still more than possible if you have a great profile and network as much as you possibly can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by squish562
It's not hated by employers but it just doesn't open up all the opportunities a maths degree opens up, such as data science and quant careers.

I think for data science it could be possible if you also learn a programming language and do a masters degree, maybe. Not sure though. But you're right about not being able to do quant stuff.
Original post by Trapz99
I think for data science it could be possible if you also learn a programming language and do a masters degree, maybe. Not sure though. But you're right about not being able to do quant stuff.

Don't really need a masters degree, the stats/OR you learn in MORSE and a good grasp of programming will be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Don't really need a masters degree, the stats/OR you learn in MORSE and good grasp of programming will be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, I didn't know that
Original post by Trapz99

Hey i thought you may find it helpful to know that the morse course offers some exemptions if youre interested in actuary side

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/handbooks/morse/1/#careers-actuarial
Philosophy and Politics at Leeds or Political Economy at Birmingham?
Original post by olaf525
Philosophy and Politics at Leeds or Political Economy at Birmingham?

There's not much difference here, just choose which one you like

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study women's studies with cuckoldry at the university of Pyongyang is that good enough
Original post by Princepieman
There's not much difference here, just choose which one you like

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are Philosophy and Politics graduates are often ignored compared to Economics or Maths students ?
Original post by olaf525
Are Philosophy and Politics graduates are often ignored compared to Economics or Maths students ?

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trollingftw
I study women's studies with cuckoldry at the university of Pyongyang is that good enough

GS should be headhunting you man, that takes real skill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! do you know if there any statistics on Leeds or Birmingham students getting internships or FO?
Original post by olaf525
Thank you! do you know if there any statistics on Leeds or Birmingham students getting internships or FO?

1. forget about 'statistics'
2. forget about 'your chances'
3. just build up as best a profile as you can and do what needs to be done; sure both unis aren't targets or semi-targets as such but people who aren't phased about their competition get in every year - be one of those people

Posted from TSR Mobile
York vs Loughborough? Having read some online websites it seemed that, oddly, the latter actually gets targeted more. What do you think?
Original post by Adrono
York vs Loughborough? Having read some online websites it seemed that, oddly, the latter actually gets targeted more. What do you think?

Loughborough has been extremely strong in terms of placement lately, in part because of the culture of doing placement years and maybe the alumni loyalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest