The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Thinking of studying at Northumbria? Any questions? Ask here.

Hello!

If there is anyone that is applying to Northumbria and has questions, please do not hestitate to ask on this thread.
We may not be able to give you a full answer, but we can help to point you to someone who will be able to help you.
This thread has been created specifically for potential students who have any worries or queries about the university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Northumbria University
Hello!

If there is anyone that is applying to Northumbria and has questions, please do not hestitate to ask on this thread.
We may not be able to give you a full answer, but we can help to point you to someone who will be able to help you.
This thread has been created specifically for potential students who have any worries or queries about the university.

Hi, I've already applied and had my interview for Fashion Marketing. I thought it'd just be easier to write my question here might be easier to view than on a thread with loads of replies.

I'm very graphics/promotion/magazine work orientated and I understand the first year or two of your Fashion Marketing course entails fashion design, whilst i'm not completely against doing design, I have never tried design and may enjoy it, I would like some information/reassurance that I wouldn't be pushed into focusing on design and will have the choice to focus on the promotion side whilst underpinning with design?

I've read the course breakdown and it doesn't seem an over whelming amount of design, but I was just curious if you had to put the course into percentages, how much of it would be promotion, marketing and design for the standard student?

Thank you
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by Dscott
Hi, I've already applied and had my interview for Fashion Marketing. I thought it'd just be easier to write my question here might be easier to view than on a thread with loads of replies.

I'm very graphics/promotion/magazine work orientated and I understand the first year or two of your Fashion Marketing course entails fashion design, whilst i'm not completely against doing design, I have never tried design and may enjoy it, I would like some information/reassurance that I wouldn't be pushed into focusing on design and will have the choice to focus on the promotion side whilst underpinning with design?

I've read the course breakdown and it doesn't seem an over whelming amount of design, but I was just curious if you had to put the course into percentages, how much of it would be promotion, marketing and design for the standard student?

Thank you

I have emailed the Design School and I will try get back to you as soon as possible.

Leanne
Reply 3
I have emailed the Design School and I will try get back to you as soon as possible.

Leanne

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 4
How many of your Design for Industry students actually came from a foundation course?

Original post by Dscott
Thank you! :smile:

Hello again,

The Fashion Marketing Programme is very design led in that it concentrates on design and making skills for about 50% of the modules. This is to allow the students to demonstrate their fashion marketing concepts through making real artefacts. In final year, there is also a 50/50 balance between design and promotion and students do not concentrate on promotion alone.

Hope this answers your questions.

Leanne
Original post by stesani
How many of your Design for Industry students actually came from a foundation course?

Hello there,

This isn't a question I can answer directly due to not having that sort of information, however if you email [email protected] or get in touch with the School itself, they might be able to provide you with an answer.

Reply 7
Hello,

I don't know am I writing in appropiate place, but I wanted to ask is there enough time left to do part-time job while studying Design for Industry?
Original post by Lafraise
Hello,

I don't know am I writing in appropriate place, but I wanted to ask is there enough time left to do part-time job while studying Design for Industry?

Whilst I don't do Design for Industry I can at least share my experience of having a part time job whilst studying Computer Science.

In my second year I took a job working 9 hours a week and I think that amount of part-time work is the perfect balance of leaving you enough time to study and enough hours to help boost the finances. In my first year advice was given to us on what job roles will suit you as a student and what job roles to avoid. It was also recommended to avoid jobs with around 12+ hours a week as you will have a negative effect on your studies.

Another benefit I have noticed is that I have become much better at organising my time now I have to juggle studies and work.

Hope this has helped you out a little.

Liam
Reply 9
Also I heard that it is really hard to find a part-time job in Newcastle, is that true? That's why I can't decide between De Montfort and Northumbria, because I heard that it is easier to get part-time job there.
Reply 10
Given the amount of bars, shops, and god knows what else, I wouldnt of thought so.
Reply 11
I would like to study the MSc Health Psychology at Northumbria but before I make a definitive decision I would like to get in contact with someone who is doing it (it only started last September for the first time). What would be the best way to find someone who is doing it? Thanks.
Reply 12
Hello!
How is the MSc Forensic Science program (pros and cons)? I know there are main forensic schools such has Strathclyde and Kings, but I was interested in Northumbria. The only difference is that there is no placement... is it easy to some how accommodate that?
Original post by Lafraise
Also I heard that it is really hard to find a part-time job in Newcastle, is that true? That's why I can't decide between De Montfort and Northumbria, because I heard that it is easier to get part-time job there.

Can't really agree on it being hard to find part-time work as I haven't experienced that.

Plus we have services available to our students that help prepare you for finding work be it part-time during study or graduate jobs and on top of that we have a vacancy system where many job posts are available to search through.

It's how I got this job!

Liam
Reply 14
Can't really agree on it being hard to find part-time work as I haven't experienced that.

Plus we have services available to our students that help prepare you for finding work be it part-time during study or graduate jobs and on top of that we have a vacancy system where many job posts are available to search through.

It's how I got this job!

Liam

Hi Liam ,

How do you go about using these services to find part time work. I am starting in September and it would be useful knowing how to access the help when I move up. Is there a jobs board or is it online?

Thanks
Vicky
Original post by vickya91
Hi Liam ,

How do you go about using these services to find part time work. I am starting in September and it would be useful knowing how to access the help when I move up. Is there a jobs board or is it online?

Thanks
Vicky

The university website has a job facility called JobsOnline where you can register your details and find jobs relevant to your search/needs. You can also visit Careers and Employment services in Northumberland Building once you have started university if you require extra help.

Hope this helps.
Reply 16
Hello!!!!

I have applied for a PhD, I've been told that I will receive a letter informing me about my application next week. What does it mean? I guess I will be informed about any interviews, am I right?

Thanks!
Original post by BeaCastle
Hello!!!!

I have applied for a PhD, I've been told that I will receive a letter informing me about my application next week. What does it mean? I guess I will be informed about any interviews, am I right?

Thanks!

Hello there,

I'm assuming that will be what the letter is about, however if you wanted to check you could email [email protected] and ask them directly.

Good luck with your application!

Best wishes

Leanne
Reply 18
Hey there,

I would like to get some more info about 3D design course at Northumbria University, as I am going to firm this course. At first, I chose Industrial Design course, but tutors emailed me that my portfolio is more suitable to 3D design. Also I would like to know what is the difference between Industrial and 3D design? What about career opportunities for 3D design? And if possible, could you give me some links where I could find Northumbria University 3D design shows or something else from which i could make an impression on this course?

Thank You!
Original post by visockis
Hey there,

I would like to get some more info about 3D design course at Northumbria University, as I am going to firm this course. At first, I chose Industrial Design course, but tutors emailed me that my portfolio is more suitable to 3D design. Also I would like to know what is the difference between Industrial and 3D design? What about career opportunities for 3D design? And if possible, could you give me some links where I could find Northumbria University 3D design shows or something else from which i could make an impression on this course?

Thank You!

Hello there,

You can find out more information about the course by clicking the link below:
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/scd/study/undergraduate/3ddesign/

They currently have a video on their page which gives you an insight into the work students have been producing. They also have examples of student work and more information sections on the left hand navigation bar.

For specific questions like 'What about career opportunities for 3D design?' you'd probably find more information by using Google. Or you could even email the School and ask them specifically. ([email protected])

The easiest way of telling the difference between the courses is by 1. reading the course information and 2. Comparing the modules, see what each of the modules involve.

I hope this has helped! If you have any other questions, please ask :smile:

Best wishes,

Leanne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending