The Student Room Group

Holding/Firmed a medicine offer but not sure I want this?

(As this is TSR, ill expect a lot of negs purely because of the title..)

I have lurked around this forum for a while and thought id finally join in :smile:
Basically, when i was in y13 and ucas season came round i decided to apply to medicine very last minute for several reasons one being that there wasn't anything else i wanted to do more. Im being totally honest here unlike a lot of the die hard medicine applicants here that claim to have want this more than life and ever since they were 3 blabla..

Anyway so i applied and got 4 rejections, i was obviously a bit down but mainly because i wasn't going to uni for a year. (i turned down my 5th option offer of a decent course/decent uni) Thought id take a year out and better my application.. turns out I really didn't do much at all, apart from carry on with arranging work exp, and taking up a job in the hospital but suddenly this time round i got 3 interviews. (luck?) All i really did was hammer home the personal statement! Just playing with words really.. (should that be the difference of a place at medical school and not?!! hm... )

So now here I am having firmed a medicine offer.. ( i know how many people would kill for this opportunity etc, to be honest a part of me does too! I didnt get this easily, iv done a hell of a lot of voluntary work over the past few years, a bit of work experience, extra curriculars, year out of education, interview prep etc.. oh and obviously got a good set of a level results, ukcat and academic track record even for a medical applicant) But most of this I did because i enjoyed it/wanted to and not for the purpose of getting into medical school! I havent been on any expensive prep courses etc.

I suppose i just feel that compared to other medics il may not be able to cope or may not like it? as im not basing my life around it like they all seem to be :/ I'm also a major wimp when it comes to blood/anything gory.. even the slightest cuts on someone else or graphic scenes on a film make me feel faint and sickly (is it physically possible to overcome this?). In my work exp i shadowed a surgeon and that made me feel queasy seeing the blood bubbling out and hearing tissue being snipped! Obviously I knew this about myself all along.. but i like a challenge and want to make myself get over it. I suppose part of the reason i reapplied to medicine was because I like a challenge, i didnt really see any reason that was holding me back and i didnt settle for my 5th choice/another choice in clearing as I'd want it less than medicine, and i didnt want to give up because it seemed totally unfair to me and i'd probably live the rest of my life thinking: i could probably have become a doctor.. but instead im a hippie traveller etc lol. (not that theres anything wrong with that, im hoping to do loads of travelling!)

Arhh im just having second thoughts!! everyone iv spoken to/met on offer holder days etc seem to be 100% sure a career/life in medicine is most definitely for them.. i just feel i can't fully know what it entails till im doing it..
I suppose I just wanted other peoples opinions? Anyone else in a similar position?

Scroll to see replies

Keep the firmed offer - you have until september to decide whether you actually want to go :smile: Where is your offer for?

Just take this time to think about it - the decision will come to you. Its not something anyone else can tell you.
Reply 2
What are your other options? You said you were disappointed last year that you had to take a gap year, why are you considering taking another?

In response to your question about blood and such. I think you just get used to it. I've never had any phobia or anything like that, never even fainted. But the closest I came was a couple of weeks ago on the dialysis ward. Not sure why but there was something about the blood going round those tubes that made me feel light headed. But I'm sure it's something you'll get over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by swaggiee
just think about how lucky you are!! :angry:

Just the kind of response i expected :smile: lol

Lucky?? ... you don't know anything about me. The fact that I'm a re-applicant and my original post should be enough to suggest otherwise.. Have a good day :smile: ./
Only you can decide if it's something you want to do with your life. A few people do change their mind once they get to medical school and drop out or switch subjects... Do think about whether you can deal with the gory side of things. Though maybe that is something you will get used to with time.

However, just because you haven't wanted it since you were really young doesn't mean you don't want it or won't do well on the course. It's far from true that all medical students have been wanting to do it from the age of three or whatever. I didn't, and know plenty of other people, who didn't go on expensive prep courses either.

Also you did say it's something you wanted more than other courses and you obviously wanted it enough to work for it and re-apply...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tpxvs
Just the kind of response i expected :smile: lol

Lucky?? ... you don't know anything about me. The fact that I'm a re-applicant and my original post should be enough to suggest otherwise.. Have a good day :smile: ./

Many reapplicants with grades AAAa still don't get in, have you never heard of anyone applying more than 2 times? Getting into Medicine requires not only aptitude/w.e/good ps but luck aswell, it is true.

What exactly do you want us to say? You either choose to pursue a career you want to go into or you don't. Simple.
Reply 6
It does not take 2 years to make 1 decision. It really isn't hard to just sit down and think about it. It is unecessary to overcomplicate it, just do what your heart says.
Reply 7
Original post by Elwyn
What are your other options? You said you were dissapointed last year that you had to take a gap year, why are you considering taking another?

In response to your question about blood and such. I think you just get used to it. I've never had any phobia or anything like that, never even fainted. But the closest I came was a couple of weeks ago on the dialysis ward. Not sure why but there was something about the blood going round those tubes that made me feel light headed. But I'm sure it's something you'll get over.

My other options was another medicine offer or biochemistry not that this matters as I've firmed this medicine offer now.. so it would be this or nothing. I'm not considering taking another gap year.. one was bad enough!!

..and thanks, I'm really hoping you're right and i do get over the blood thing after a bit experience/exposure to it :smile:
To the Op, take your time, think thoroughly about it and maybe discuss it with some family and friends. Seeing as you've done so much experience and research into medicine I'm sure you know that different doctors can have very different jobs, depending on their speciality, whether they do research and so on. Because of that, it is likely that there will be something you are really interested in or would like to do.

To everyone else, I have an offer from a British University, however I also might have some offers from other international universities to study medicine. My problem is that I will get some of these international offers after my deadline to reply to the British university that has given me an offer. If I firm my UK offer, can I still decide not to go and instead go to one of the other universities outside the UK that has given me an offer? Or, is there some penalty/ I have to definitely go once I've firmed the offer?
Reply 9
yeah i was in a similar situation to you.. it came round to applying i had always hovered around a career in healthcare so once i had got my grades in the summer i decided to go for it there really was nothing more i wanted to do.. i managed to get an offer. You obviously want to do it it takes a lot of time and effort to get a place, if there is nothing you'd rather do then you have nothing to lose. If you don't like it you can always change course but it would be a shame to let such a great opportunity go something you probably would always regret. As for the squeamish thing i definitly think that is something you can over come, if not you could consider a career in something less gory like dermatology etc. Gore never bothered me when i was young but growing up with my sister who is very squeamish made me develop a dislike of it, if i can develop it i'm sure you can overcome it.. good luck with what you decide :smile:
If ya don't enjoy/can't cope with the course or the other people, then you can drop out later...

But you have a great opportunity, which you have spent a while working towards! Go for it now, and see where it takes you. Many medical graduates do something else... eg: a physics teacher at my school, or Harry Hill :wink:

Too many people seem to work for these things since before I think they can really have decided properly (parents influence?! :rolleyes: :wink: ) That and the craziness of the personal statement makes applications really competitive and well done for getting an offer.

I think a lot of people have second thoughts, but at the moment you're worrying about things you don't even know will happen!

I applied for vetmed this year, having only 'properly' decided last july, yes it was hard working against people with years of work experience with only 3 months to prepare, but things worked out and everyone starts the next stage at the same level.

Conclusion: Go for it and take it how it comes! Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by another ib-er
Only you can decide if it's something you want to do with your life. A few people do change their mind once they get to medical school and drop out or switch subjects... Do think about whether you can deal with the gory side of things. Though maybe that is something you will get used to with time.

However, just because you haven't wanted it since you were really young doesn't mean you don't want it or won't do well on the course. It's far from true that all medical students have been wanting to do it from the age of three or whatever. I didn't, and know plenty of other people, who didn't go on expensive prep courses either.

Also you did say it's something you wanted more than other courses and you obviously wanted it enough to work for it and re-apply...

I'm pretty certain if I commit to it, I definitely won't drop out even if its very hard at times. I'm a very driven kinda person so if I set my mind to it, I'll try my very best to come out the other end as good a doctor as i possibly can. I suppose i'm just having second thoughts before I commit to it, as obviously it is a massive decision and theres so much to consider.. huge chunk of my life at uni, a lot of debt, im not sure if theres other options other than a practicing doctor once you graduate. I feel like I'll probably be able to cope with the 5/6 years at uni and probably enjoy this bit, but its when work kicks in and student life is over.. im just not 100% sure? :/
Reply 12
You think every doctor wanted it more than anything else? Get real :tongue:
Your situation is probably quite common - just people wont shout about it lol

It's an amazing opportunity here is what I think you need to consider:

Do you have the determination for 5years + 2 years foundation?
Will you be happy enough being a doctor? (hours, money, job satisfaction)
Is there anything you want to do more? (if artificial ie: travel, can this wait?)

That is all.

It's an AMAZING opportunity.

Also from my understanding the gore aspect is built up over a period of time at many universities - don't let that hold you back. You seriously think all doctors were born with no squeamishness?

Again, It's an AMAZING opportunity. But only you can decide if it's truly for you or not.

Just don't cop out of an amazing career shot because of last minute doubts - hold that offer tight.

EDIT: just seen you say about other options - ask yourself this, if you were interviewing a graduate of medicine... would you let this individual walk out the door? It takes amazing intellect and people skills to get through. I think it would open many many doors if you decided to close the main door.
(edited 11 years ago)
What uni is your offer from?
Reply 14
Many reapplicants with grades AAAa still don't get in,
Exactly, and my grades we're a fair bit better than that.

have you never heard of anyone applying more than 2 times?
At what point did you get this impression? lol ... As someone thats gone through this application cycle twice and having met many people along the way, I can confirm that yes I have not only heard but met people that have applied more than twice.

Getting into Medicine requires not only aptitude/w.e/good ps but luck aswell, it is true.
Did you not notice the bit on the second paragraph of the op where i said "(luck?)" but regardless, to go from 4 rejections to 3 interviews must mean I did something right.. I highly doubt i was in the top 10% (leeds) top 17% etc.. purely down to luck, if i was hell I should do the lottery or something!

What exactly do you want us to say? You either choose to pursue a career you want to go into or you don't. Simple.
Dont think I did ask for your opinion in particular lol.. seems you have nothing helpful to say, so end of conversation. Bye :smile: (You're possibly a medicine reject.. theres nothing wrong that, hell i was one last year - perhaps you could adopt my attitude and do your damned best to better yourself, just a thought.
Reply 15
Original post by NewCrack
It does not take 2 years to make 1 decision. It really isn't hard to just sit down and think about it. It is unecessary to overcomplicate it, just do what your heart says.

When i was rejected 4 times over, it sort of gave me the drive to do even better in my exams so my application is stronger than my "predicted grades" (turned out, i got almost exactly that) but at this stage i was almost certain i wanted a medicine offer hence the route i took. Now that this challenge is accomplished, I dont know i guess im thinking about other hurdles in the way (the blood fear thing, and life as a junior doctor)

Original post by yomomalomo
To the Op, take your time, think thoroughly about it and maybe discuss it with some family and friends. Seeing as you've done so much experience and research into medicine I'm sure you know that different doctors can have very different jobs, depending on their speciality, whether they do research and so on. Because of that, it is likely that there will be something you are really interested in or would like to do.

Thanks :smile: Friends and family aren't seeming too helpful despite having good intentions. Family are just really proud of what iv achieved so far (lol) and have seen me through the not so good times of being rejected and seem to think I should go for it. Friends, quite frankly, don't have a clue. Lovely people, but not even one has applied to medicine or really understand it, one friend said perhaps i should go travelling and do my own thing and apply whenever because now i know i can get in... :s-smilie:!! Lol, see what i mean? Its not just a case of come back by september of any year and enrol :L But yes im aware of the different subspecialities within medicine.. but the thought of two years (F1, F2) seem a bit scary right now, with the possibility of a lot of surgery orientated options! I was just hoping to speak to someone in a similar position!

Original post by 14loubylou
yeah i was in a similar situation to you.. it came round to applying i had always hovered around a career in healthcare so once i had got my grades in the summer i decided to go for it there really was nothing more i wanted to do.. i managed to get an offer. You obviously want to do it it takes a lot of time and effort to get a place, if there is nothing you'd rather do then you have nothing to lose. If you don't like it you can always change course but it would be a shame to let such a great opportunity go something you probably would always regret. As for the squeamish thing i definitly think that is something you can over come, if not you could consider a career in something less gory like dermatology etc. Gore never bothered me when i was young but growing up with my sister who is very squeamish made me develop a dislike of it, if i can develop it i'm sure you can overcome it.. good luck with what you decide :smile:

Thank you for sharing your experience! Nice to hear you've managed to get over the fear of gore! Are you currently a medical student/doctor? :smile: I'm just hoping that in time I'll be in a position like you and be able to look back at this stage and just think i was only going through a phase of doubt cause it definitely is a really good opportunity which i want to take up (but only if i can definitely follow through with it, itd be a shame to drop out and waste another year of my life!).

Original post by Hearty_Beast
If ya don't enjoy/can't cope with the course or the other people, then you can drop out later...

But you have a great opportunity, which you have spent a while working towards! Go for it now, and see where it takes you. Many medical graduates do something else... eg: a physics teacher at my school, or Harry Hill :wink:

Too many people seem to work for these things since before I think they can really have decided properly (parents influence?! :rolleyes: :wink: ) That and the craziness of the personal statement makes applications really competitive and well done for getting an offer.

I think a lot of people have second thoughts, but at the moment you're worrying about things you don't even know will happen!

I applied for vetmed this year, having only 'properly' decided last july, yes it was hard working against people with years of work experience with only 3 months to prepare, but things worked out and everyone starts the next stage at the same level.

Conclusion: Go for it and take it how it comes! Good Luck :biggrin:

Thank you! But knowing what im like even if i found the first year or two a struggle, I'd make myself keep at it for the thought of it getting better and to see how the clinical years go.. and it would just be such a shame to drop out at this stage (3 or 4 years into it! or to not enjoy it once i've qualified..) There was no external influence in my case.. Infact i didnt even intend to "live the lifestyle of medical applicant" all the volunteering/extra curriculars was just things i was interested in doing :smile: and even the work exp wasnt as a way to get into med (i did other work exp too totally unrelated to medicine..) I'm just hoping that I can get over all this and enrol come september and cope with it all just fine, as well as with one day becoming a doctor of some sort! How are you coping with vet med so far? :smile:

Original post by M161
You think every doctor wanted it more than anything else? Get real :tongue:
Your situation is probably quite common - just people wont shout about it lol thank you, this is exactly what i wanted to hear!!

It's an amazing opportunity here is what I think you need to consider:

Do you have the determination for 5years + 2 years foundation?
Will you be happy enough being a doctor? (hours, money, job satisfaction) this felt like a job application quiz lol but i think my answer is yes to all of them!
Is there anything you want to do more? (if artificial ie: travel, can this wait?) yes!! but i was hoping to be able to travel in the summers between each academic year if i managed to get into a good system of saving up.. are you a med student?/do you think this is possible?

That is all.

It's an AMAZING opportunity.

Also from my understanding the gore aspect is built up over a period of time at many universities - don't let that hold you back. You seriously think all doctors were born with no squeamishness?

Again, It's an AMAZING opportunity. But only you can decide if it's truly for you or not.

Just don't cop out of an amazing career shot because of last minute doubts - hold that offer tight.

thanks, all of this was really reassuring to read! lets just hope you're right :tongue:
EDIT: just seen you say about other options - ask yourself this, if you were interviewing a graduate of medicine... would you let this individual walk out the door? It takes amazing intellect and people skills to get through. I think it would open many many doors if you decided to close the main door.

I dont get what you mean, id have many options if i did what? not take up med?? :s
Reply 16
Original post by tpxvs

I dont get what you mean, id have many options if i did what? not take up med?? :s

No, I meant if you completed the course but than decided medicine wasn't for you as a career. Finishing the course does not mean you have to be a doctor.

Many more career options would still be open and you would have completed an academic challenge rather than the masses that pursue a BA in David Beckham studies or other such Mickey Mouse Degrees.

I'm not a Med student (Computer Science) but a few of my friends are and I know of at least 2 that are cracking on doing medicine with no *real* passion... like you mentioned.

On your budget question - that's just simple math, how much will you save vs. how much you spend :smile:

My budget works out that I have £2250ish spare a year. And I'm a smoker.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Thank you for sharing your experience! Nice to hear you've managed to get over the fear of gore! Are you currently a medical student/doctor? :smile: I'm just hoping that in time I'll be in a position like you and be able to look back at this stage and just think i was only going through a phase of doubt cause it definitely is a really good opportunity which i want to take up (but only if i can definitely follow through with it, itd be a shame to drop out and waste another year of my life!).

No problem.. No i'm hopefully going this September too.. Yeah it would be a shame but it would be even more if you never even gave it a try and the only way you're going to find out whether it's right is to try.. I think like somebody whose afraid of heights going abseiling everyday i know it's random but soon you would just get used to it :smile:
Original post by tpxvs

Thank you! But knowing what im like even if i found the first year or two a struggle, I'd make myself keep at it for the thought of it getting better and to see how the clinical years go.. and it would just be such a shame to drop out at this stage (3 or 4 years into it! or to not enjoy it once i've qualified..) There was no external influence in my case.. Infact i didnt even intend to "live the lifestyle of medical applicant" all the volunteering/extra curriculars was just things i was interested in doing :smile: and even the work exp wasnt as a way to get into med (i did other work exp too totally unrelated to medicine..) I'm just hoping that I can get over all this and enrol come september and cope with it all just fine, as well as with one day becoming a doctor of some sort! How are you coping with vet med so far? :smile:

I haven't started yet, got an offer just before easter :smile:
I'm looking forward to it, though it's gonna be hard work... just the small issue of getting the grades now :wink:

But I think you should take it... It seems to me that (like me) you're having second thoughts because after all the effort getting an offer, you only have time to think about it now. I know that I only started rethinking it coz it just got real and I started thinking about all the bad points... But best foot forwards, it may/will be great :wink:

Honestly though, you've worked so hard (even if it's unintentional) getting here, it'd be a shame not see how it goes.
I could be wrong but it just sounds like nerves and you are trying to talk yourself out of a big commitment. You obviously have passion to do medicine as you definitely didn't want your 5th choice and took a gap year. Even then you applied for medicine again. I think your confidence was low after the 4 previous rejections so you didn't expect much from reapplying. And now you have your offer and with a medical offer you have this feeling of having to 'grow up'. Don't doubt yourself! You have earned this so embrace it! You don't have to be a perfect doctor in your first year so you are allowed to make mistakes. As for the blood and tissue thing, don't worry i've heard various stories about people fainting during dissections! Also you do get used to different aspects of being a doctor. I used to be so emotional, like i'd cry if someone else cried! But in my job as a carer you gain emotional maturity because you become used to various situations so cope better. I'm not a medical student yet but aim to be. I'd really love to be in your situation right now with excellent grades and a medicine offer. So enjoy it :smile:! And stop punishing yourself!

Quick Reply

Latest