The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know they require 6A's but if I got the A levels do you not think I would get away with it?
Reply 8081
Original post by Brainsandgains
I know they require 6A's but if I got the A levels do you not think I would get away with it?

Doesn't work like that. Your GCSEs are screened first to make sure you meet the minimum requirements regardless of your A levels. They set a particular cut off like that because it just helps cut down the numbers of applicants who make it to the non academic screening stage.
Hi, i'm currently sitting my GCSE's and all I've ever wanted to do is medicine, i'm on track to getting 10-12 A*'s and am going to take Biology Chemistry Maths Geography for A-levels what are my chances in getting into Oxford Medical Uni?
Reply 8083
Original post by mia_hilton
Hi, i'm currently sitting my GCSE's and all I've ever wanted to do is medicine, i'm on track to getting 10-12 A*'s and am going to take Biology Chemistry Maths Geography for A-levels what are my chances in getting into Oxford Medical Uni?

Well academically you're fine provided you get AAAA at AS. However you should know that a lot more goes in to applying other than just academics. No one can really give you a definitive answer. Right now just focus on getting those string of A*s because applying is still a while off.
Reply 8084
Original post by AishaTara
please please please don't listen to this. im in the same situation - at my school there are two girls for instance with straight A*s but no people skills, and many other potential doctors with 5a* and amazing people skills and other attributes and teachers are trying to deter them.
Schools say this as they hope to get you to apply else where, and be almost certain of an offer to result in a higher university success rate, as in reality if 20 people apply for medicine not all are going to get in. I know many people with straight A*s who got rejected and believe its due to their academics solely because they dont seem to get that medicine is also about more then grades.
At the same time I've met people with NO A*s and got in, and infact teachers told them not to apply as they got a B in AS chem, but they still got an offer, so don't take it to heart, and don't give up. Its your future not theirs, and you'll never know until you try :smile:

Thank you so much, seriously! I'm definitely going to try now regardless of what they say, it's what I want to do and I know that I can if I try.

Good luck in everything you do, and thanks!
Original post by mia_hilton

Oxford Med looks at the ratio of A*s to Number of GCSEs taken so try and get as many A*s as possible. At AS level you'll need to get all As, get a good score at the BMAT and have a decent Personal Statement. If all this is good then you'll be selected for an interview and your performance at the interview will determine whether you get an offer or not. But for now just focus on your GCSEs and afterwards think about arranging work experience/voluntary placements :smile:

Original post by Aquar
Thank you so much, seriously! I'm definitely going to try now regardless of what they say, it's what I want to do and I know that I can if I try.

AishaTara is right, if you don't get like 8+ A*s then it only means you can't apply to GCSE loving schools like Birmingham. There's still plenty of other med schools that don't look too strongly on GCSEs. There are plenty of other aspects in medicine application - quality of personal statement, UKCAT/BMAT scores and interview performace. Although having strong strong academics will only help strengthen your application :smile:
Reply 8086
are my grades good enough for medical school
Eng lang- A* Eng lit- A* Maths- A Maths IGCSE- A Science A Additional science- A History- A
ICT- A RE- A Arabic-A Turkish IGCSE-B

A levels- Chemistry-A Biology- A* Maths-A History (as) A
Reply 8087
Eng lang- A* Eng lit- A* Maths- A Maths IGCSE- A Science A Additional science- A History- A

Reply 8088
Original post by m.a.n

What do you think? :rolleyes:
Original post by Aquar

no worries im speaking from experience though. I would get myself wound up with their negativity, and infact it affects both your performance and self esteem so badly :/
prove them wrong! :')
Hi I'm planning to apply to medicine.
I completed my GCSEs this year and got 8A*s 1A 1B 2Cs
However I got a C in GCSE English and a B in GCSE English Literature
Can I still apply to Unis which require a B for medicine?
Please give some advice.
Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8091
Original post by _sparks
Hi I'm planning to apply to medicine.
I completed my GCSEs this year and got 8A*s 1A 1B 2Cs
However I got a C in GCSE English and a B in GCSE English Literature
Can I still apply to Unis which require a C for medicine?
Please give some advice.
Thanks.

You achieved a C in GCSE English and you intend to apply to universities that require a C. Whats the problem? :dontknow:
Reply 8092
I'm looking into doing medicine at uni and I picked my A levels subjects according to what I will need to do medicine at uni and they are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and RE (might change RE to physics, music or physcology). I got offers from the sixth forms I applied to do those subjects, so no problem there.

Now I'm doing my GCSE exams this month and tbh they are good grades accept for English. I think I need a B in English language to get into any medical course but I got a C overall. In English Literature I MIGHT be able to get a B. Apart from that I have all A*'s and A's including maths and science.

So my question is would I still be able to do medicine at uni with a C in English language for my GCSE?

I know I will be able to get the grades in A level because I am dedicating myself to studying through out to get the A* and A's and I'm also doing the subjects I like so it makes it even easier.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8093
Original post by HassanAD
I'm looking into doing medicine at uni and I picked my A levels subjects according to what I will need to do medicine at uni and they are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and RE (might change RE to physics, music or physcology). I got offers from the sixth forms I applied to do those subjects, so no problem there.

Now I'm doing my GCSE exams this month and tbh they are good grades accept for English. I think I need a B in English language to get into any medical course but I got a C overall. In English Literature I MIGHT be able to get a B. Apart from that I have all A*'s and A's including maths and science.

So my question is would I still be able to do medicine at uni with a C in English language for my GCSE?

I know I will be able to get the grades in A level because I am dedicating myself to studying through out to get the A* and A's and I'm also doing the subjects I like so it makes it even easier.

It's possible but you'll make it really hard for yourself because very few medical schools accept applicants with a C in English language so your choices will be very narrowed. You could resit the English Language in your sixth form years. If you are doing your GCSEs now then there is still a chance to bring that English Language grade up.
Reply 8094
hi guys,

I am currently doing As levels Chemistry, Psychology ,history and further maths . On top of this i am resitting my Gcse science . I am intrested in going to med school but my gcse's are not good ( 5c's 2bs and 3as ) i am predicted good grades for my a-levels but is there any point in me applying ?
Reply 8095
Original post by myyrh
It's possible but you'll make it really hard for yourself because very few medical schools accept applicants with a C in English language so your choices will be very narrowed. You could resit the English Language in your sixth form years. If you are doing your GCSEs now then there is still a chance to bring that English Language grade up.

Damn, and I done all my language coursework and exams but I think it's going to add up to a C. So in sixth form I can resit the exam again :s-smilie: how? Btw I did get a B in my exam, low B and I got C's in the controlled assessments so its most likely a C.
Reply 8096
Original post by HassanAD
Damn, and I done all my language coursework and exams but I think it's going to add up to a C. So in sixth form I can resit the exam again :s-smilie: how? Btw I did get a B in my exam, low B and I got C's in the controlled assessments so its most likely a C.

Well resitting would involve you retaking the exams or coursework which you got the lowest mark in, in order to improve your overall grade. I'm a bit confused, If you're doing your GCSE exams now, how can you already know your English grade? Did you take it a year early?
Reply 8097
Original post by myyrh
Well resitting would involve you retaking the exams or coursework which you got the lowest mark in, in order to improve your overall grade. I'm a bit confused, If you're doing your GCSE exams now, how can you already know your English grade? Did you take it a year early?

Well we done all our English language CW and the final exam was in January so the teacher could add up all of them together and give an estimate. And if I do resit the exam in sixth form do I have to do it through the school or some other way because I never heard of this before. Btw my exam board is AQA for English.
Reply 8098
Original post by mandie1
hi guys,

I am currently doing As levels Chemistry, Psychology ,history and further maths . On top of this i am resitting my Gcse science . I am intrested in going to med school but my gcse's are not good ( 5c's 2bs and 3as ) i am predicted good grades for my a-levels but is there any point in me applying ?

Unfortunately it looks unlikely. Your GCSEs grades aren't very competitive for medicine. What did you get in English and Maths GCSE? You also really need Biology at least as AS level. Have you considered taking up AS Biology in year 13?
Reply 8099
You can resit GCSE exams - either in January or in June. If you are staying at the same school it should be fairly straightforward as you can be entered alongside next years candidates. However if you are moving to a different school or sixth form college it may be a little more tricky - might be worth speaking to your current English teacher after you get results (you never know, you might do better than you think!) and if you decide to resit maybe they could enter you at your current school and you could go back to to the exam. Good luck with all your exams!

Latest