The Student Room Group

AS OCR chemistry B (SALTERS) F331 on the 15th may 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lol is it just me or has everyone left this revision a little late ?
Reply 21
Do we need to know anything about why Cu and Cr don't follow the pattern for electron structure???
Original post by totw
Do we need to know anything about why Cu and Cr don't follow the pattern for electron structure???

Nope, just electronic configuration of standard elements, and how their space in the periodic table lets you know that! :smile:
Does anyone have any ideas of what areas will come up in this F331 exam

I have revised it all and such but if anyone knows if there are any likely things to come up which didnt in Jan it would be sueful to look over them more so :smile:
Original post by Numan786
lol is it just me or has everyone left this revision a little late ?

Some people have :biggrin: others might just want to top up in prep :smile:
I'm kinda scared now...

But i've done every single past paper, read my revision guide, read the bloody story lines and if its still hard im gonna guage my eyes out literally..
Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
I'm kinda scared now...

But i've done every single past paper, read my revision guide, read the bloody story lines and if its still hard im gonna guage my eyes out literally..

As long as you are comfortable with EVERY point on the specification you will be absolutely fine :biggrin:
Good luck everyone, i still need to cram a bit of revision in.
Reply 28
so freaked out about this exam. can anyone explain to me what a zeolite is? i never quite understood :confused:
Original post by vicky8761
so freaked out about this exam. can anyone explain to me what a zeolite is? i never quite understood :confused:

It acts like a sieve for isomers.
it has holes/pores in it which allow straight chain isomers through, but traps branched chain isomers.
and this separates the isomers

Original post by dongonaeatu
It acts like a sieve for isomers.
it has holes/pores in it which allow straight chain isomers through, but traps branched chain isomers.
and this separates the isomers

Also worth noting that some questions simply want the answer 'Large surface area' when asking about catalysis and zeolites.
Original post by Salmonidae
Also worth noting that some questions simply want the answer 'Large surface area' when asking about catalysis and zeolites.

which kind of question?
i know when it asks what is a catalytic poison, you get one mark for saying it reduces the catalysts surface area
which kind of question?
i know when it asks what is a catalytic poison, you get one mark for saying it reduces the catalysts surface area

I think by saying that it has a larger surface area this is one of the reasons why it speeds up a reaction. So any question about how catalysts will speed up a reaction. I think
Reply 33

As well as what others have said, it is the catalyst for cracking, forming a branched alkane and alkene from a straight chai alkane :smile:
which kind of question?

I think it was along the line of 'what properties make a zeolite a good catalyst?' as opposed to 'what allows a zeolite to differentiate between straight and branched chains?' or somthing along those lines.
Why does it feel like the end of the world?
Original post by Salmonidae
I think it was along the line of 'what properties make a zeolite a good catalyst?' as opposed to 'what allows a zeolite to differentiate between straight and branched chains?' or somthing along those lines.

Do you think we need to know about the squeaky pop test for hydrogen gas?

Mg + Water = Mg(OH)2 + H2.
Reply 37
Original post by Ilyas
Why does it feel like the end of the world?

because its chemistry
Reply 38
got half an hour left to revise, what should do?....
anyone having trouble opening the markschemes???

Quick Reply

Latest