The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9100
Original post by Pn94
Interesting times. Looks like a complete clearout of the club. Tbh Ayre should not be involved in any way with the footballing side of things at the club/day to day running, he should simply be a commercial director.

Dalglish is back in England, FSG are probably mulling over what he's said to them/his review.

I saw somewhere that Dalglish goes on holiday tomorrow/the day after. So it would make more sense for them to fire him (if they decide to do so) when he's on holiday so he can't get hounded by the press
Original post by Pn94
Interesting times. Looks like a complete clearout of the club. Tbh Ayre should not be involved in any way with the footballing side of things at the club/day to day running, he should simply be a commercial director.

Dalglish is back in England, FSG are probably mulling over what he's said to them/his review.

Is that not the case? Which idiots involved him in pitchside matters? When someone mentioned that Ayre hates Rafa and thats why RB won't be returning, I questioned his logic because I thought Ayre was marketing and commercial director, not sure if PR was in his discretion as well, but the point is why would a commercial director's views count for anything to do with the manager ffs. If he's involved in footballing matters instead of finding innovative ways of getting more sponsorship money, like with Warrior and SC etc then he's not being used properly.
Reply 9102
Original post by Xotol
£117m has been spent on 7 players, some of which have been flops (so far). Hodgson spent £24m, but actually managed to sell £26m worth of players, meaning he actually had a net profit.

Dalglish was quoted on friday saying the balance sheets show a net spend of £24m, but regardless he did waste a lot of money.

Hodgson bought utter ****e with that £24m too - Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen took up almost 50% of it, which doesn't include the £100k a week Joe Cole.
Original post by Xotol

Add that to the fact that Hodgson had to worry about Europe while Dalglish had no European commitments;

No, but instead Dalglish had to concertrate on two cup runs which Hodgson had the luxury of avoiding after being humbled by the formidable northampton town at home.
Original post by Xotol

I'm not saying that Hodgson is that much better or anything, but Dalglish is poor, and should be fired. He spent ~£90m more than Hodgson and has only, what, a 3% better winning record.

Its been a poor season, but I disagree with the notion that sacking managers after a bad season is a quick fix.

He deserves another season. Hodgson didn't deserve one because he had isolated himself from absolutely everyone to do with the football club.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9103
Original post by Strangeclouds
Is that not the case? Which idiots involved him in pitchside matters? When someone mentioned that Ayre hates Rafa and thats why RB won't be returning, I questioned his logic because I thought Ayre was marketing and commercial director, not sure if PR was in his discretion as well, but the point is why would a commercial director's views count for anything to do with the manager ffs. If he's involved in footballing matters instead of finding innovative ways of getting more sponsorship money, like with Warrior and SC etc then he's not being used properly.

Who do you think is running the club on a day to day basis when Tom Werner is in America doing his real job?
Reply 9104
Original post by L18
Dalglish was quoted on friday saying the balance sheets show a net spend of £24m, but regardless.

Hodgson bought utter ****e with that £24m too - Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen took up almost 50% of it, which doesn't include the £100k a week Joe Cole.

No, but instead Dalglish had to concertrate on two cup runs which Hodgson had the luxury of avoiding after being humbled by the formidable northampton town at home.

Its been a poor season, but I disagree with the notion that sacking managers after a bad season is a quick fix.

He deserves another season. Hodgson didn't deserve one because he had isolated himself from absolutely everyone to do with the football club.

The accounts only went up until the 1st of June didn't they? I am sure we signed a fair proportion of players after that date.
Reply 9105
Original post by Stirlo
I saw somewhere that Dalglish goes on holiday tomorrow/the day after. So it would make more sense for them to fire him (if they decide to do so) when he's on holiday so he can't get hounded by the press

Yeah, so calling him out to the USA was just in order to review the season and to allow Dalglish to put forward his case I suppose, meaning a decision hasn't been made yet. Probably will be made by the end of the week I'd think.

Original post by Strangeclouds

What L18 said. He's basically ran the club for the past year or so, which is why we need to hire a proper CEO.
If Kenny leaves, does Downing get his assist?
Reply 9107
Heard Ben Smith on 5live regarding KD. Basically said he's the right man and he said back me or sack me. Tough decision by FSG. Decision hopefully come in the next 24-48 hours and they are making progress for DoF.
Reply 9108
What does progress for DoF mean? It's unprofessional that they don't have a replacement for when they fired Comolli.
Reply 9109
Original post by kuks
What does progress for DoF mean? It's unprofessional that they don't have a replacement for when they fired Comolli.

Agree. Following on from all of this, they need to be far more proactive in their approach to managing the club, hopefully we'll see this with a CEO/DoF who'll do it for them.

Ben Smith's also confirmed our interest in Rasmus Elm and Younes Belhanda. I've heard good things about Belhanda but I haven't got a clue about Elm.
Would you lot rather have kept joe cole and aquilani and saved money from not buying henderson and adam or do you consider it a good decision by daglish to let the former two go out on loan.
Reply 9111
Original post by Pn94
Agree. Following on from all of this, they need to be far more proactive in their approach to managing the club, hopefully we'll see this with a CEO/DoF who'll do it for them.

Ben Smith's also confirmed our interest in Rasmus Elm and Younes Belhanda. I've heard good things about Belhanda but I haven't got a clue about Elm.

Elm looked decent the one time I've seen him play (not much to go on really though). Isn't Belhanda meant to be very similar to Gerrard?
Reply 9112
Original post by word2yamother
Would you lot rather have kept joe cole and aquilani and saved money from not buying henderson and adam or do you consider it a good decision by daglish to let the former two go out on loan.

Aquilani didn't want to stay but regardless, good decision.
Reply 9113
Original post by Stirlo
Elm looked decent the one time I've seen him play (not much to go on really though). Isn't Belhanda meant to be very similar to Gerrard?

Belhanda comes across as an absolute ****er tbph. He almost blew Montpelliers league challenge at the end of the season in a rant with Giroud over penalties, then getting sent off and a rant on Twitter about it.
Reply 9114
Original post by Pn94

Agree. The owners have been far too reactive and have to learn to be more proactive. They really need to up their game. Every day without a new stadium announcement, we're falling behind the likes of the top teams.

Apparently Belhanda has got a lot of interest from Arsenal, Inter and PSG so I don't see us being favourites for him.
Reply 9115
Original post by Mess.
Belhanda comes across as an absolute ****er tbph. He almost blew Montpelliers league challenge at the end of the season in a rant with Giroud over penalties, then getting sent off and a rant on Twitter about it.

Oh wow, doesn't sound great mentality wise then. What's he like technically?
Quality, Belhanda is quality.
Original post by Mess.

Footballers now a days have to be saints. As if everyone watching football doesn't know better.
Touch another player and 3 match ban. Bull****.

This doesn't completely apply to what you said, in that case this guy sounds risky but in general the game needs more emotion.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9118
Original post by kuks

Apparently Belhanda has got a lot of interest from Arsenal, Inter and PSG so I don't see us being favourites for him.

This unfortunately is our handicap atm. Although Inter are in a similar position to us. Maybe we can offer more money? :dontknow: we're going to have to if we want him tbh.

Original post by Stirlo

Not sure, but from what I've seen (mainly youtube) he's technically sound.

Original post by Mess.

Would still take him though if he is what he's hyped up to be. I'd rather have a player who's full of himself than complete pussies like Stewart Downing. Giroud wouldn't be a bad signing either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stirlo
Oh wow, doesn't sound great mentality wise then. What's he like technically?

One of the best players in Ligue 1. Not to mention that he's relatively young and can learn so much more.

Latest