The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by Ebuwa
Too expensive

It's actually not, I used to think it was too expensive before but then i started comparing it to other products at Boots and I realised that their shampoos are actually quite reasonable and have better ingredients. If anything it's maybe a pound or two extra at most.
Original post by Ebuwa
Any 'Black' hair shop. Try jbco shampoo , I've heard it doesn't have nay sulphates.

Will definetly recommend using olive oil with conditioning/shampooing , for the first time in my life I could put my fingers through my natural hair without stopping. My hair is really soft as a result.

I get a a lot of guidance from this site hairliciousinc.com
Her hair journey is actually amazing
comic-p.jpg

This is her most recent
IMG_3789.jpg

I wish I had hair like that :moon:
Reply 1822
Original post by flosaw9
It's actually not, I used to think it was too expensive before but then i started comparing it to other products at Boots and I realised that their shampoos are actually quite reasonable and have better ingredients. If anything it's maybe a pound or two extra at most.

Do you live in a black area? If yes thats why you think its cheaper.

Original post by confused dot com
I wish I had hair like that :moon:

Same lol, thats my goal
Reply 1823
Original post by Ebuwa
Do you live in a black area? If yes thats why you think its cheaper.

I live in London
Reply 1824
Original post by flosaw9
I live in London

You can't get a better value from a black hair shop than Holland and Barrett. Where in London may I ask?
Reply 1825
Original post by Ebuwa
You can't get a better value from a black hair shop than Holland and Barrett. Where in London may I ask?

I'm from south east London.

The reason why I said Holland and Barrett is good is because I've been searching for a sulphate free shampoo for a while and I've looked in Black hair shops, Boots and Superdrug. the majority of their shampoos have sulphates and the ones that don't are expensive, i.e the cheapest ones in boots were £5.99 and £6.99 and the ones in the black hair shop are like close to £10 or more.

I like holland and barrett because all of their shampoos are sulphate free so theirs more choice and they're mostly between £5 and £6 which is not cheap but I think it's quite reasonable seeing as their ingredients are mostly all natural.
Reply 1826
Original post by flosaw9
I'm from south east London.

The reason why I said Holland and Barrett is good is because I've been searching for a sulphate free shampoo for a while and I've looked in Black hair shops, Boots and Superdrug. the majority of their shampoos have sulphates and the ones that don't are expensive, i.e the cheapest ones in boots were £5.99 and £6.99 and the ones in the black hair shop are like close to £10 or more.

I like holland and barrett because all of their shampoos are sulphate free so theirs more choice and they're mostly between £5 and £6 which is not cheap but I think it's quite reasonable seeing as their ingredients are mostly all natural.

:h:

Rejuvenating, argan oil shampoo,
Original post by Ebuwa
Any 'Black' hair shop. Try jbco shampoo , I've heard it doesn't have nay sulphates.

Will definetly recommend using olive oil with conditioning/shampooing , for the first time in my life I could put my fingers through my natural hair without stopping. My hair is really soft as a result.

I get a a lot of guidance from this site hairliciousinc.com
Her hair journey is actually amazing
comic-p.jpg

This is her most recent
IMG_3789.jpg

:redface: Please dont tell me that is all natural.. Gorgeouss

Hello all, I may have posted here a while back but I can't remember now..
I've also decided to go all natural (albeit not by choice) because I live abroad and no one is capable of doing my hair here, and relaxed hair is too much to maintain.. So I'm 8months post relaxer and when I take out my braids I'm going to cut about 5cm below the relaxed hair..

But a funny little story was last march I was really desperate to colour my hair rouge/burgundy.. So I relaxed my hair on the Tuesday.. Coloured it Friday night (didn't take) so I coloured it again Saturday morning and that afternoon had it put into a weave..
Needless to say my hair broke unimaginably hahaha

But my query is what afro hair regime (<understatement) works wonders?.. The most I do for my hair is sleep with a silk scarf and grease it like once a month (terrible I know).. Since September it's constantly been in braids so I rarely wash it.. But could anyone point in the direction of the do's and don'ts of Afro hair??

Sorry for the essay!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1828
Original post by Brighten
I need to buy more products, at the moment I use industrial amounts of Pink.

Careful, too much Pink makes your hair look really greasy as I've witnessed first hand :frown:
Reply 1829
Original post by Miss Purple

I've also decided to go all natural (albeit not by choice) because I live abroad and no one is capable of doing my hair here, and relaxed hair is too much to maintain.. So I'm 8months post relaxer and when I take out my braids I'm going to cut about 5cm below the relaxed hair..

But a funny little story was last march I was really desperate to colour my hair rouge/burgundy.. So I relaxed my hair on the Tuesday.. Coloured it Friday night (didn't take) so I coloured it again Saturday morning and that afternoon had it put into a weave..

But my query is what afro hair regime (<understatement) works wonders?.. The most I do for my hair is sleep with a silk scarf and grease it like once a month (terrible I know).. Since September it's constantly been in braids so I rarely wash it.. But could anyone point in the direction of the do's and don'ts of Afro hair??

Sorry for the essay!!

No no no
Don’t grease your silk wrap, change it every 6 weeks. Or buy a silk pillow if it comes off.
Braiding is fine but you need to wash your hair obviously when its out. Use a good shampoo product such as argan oil shampoo or shampoos with sulphates. A good moisturising conditioner is important. Coconut oil is a good conditioner that you can add to you conditioner or shampoo, it penetrates your hair. When conditioning leave in for 30 mins or more with heat or heat cap. Olive oil also makes you hair softer
Invest in oils. You shouldn’t grease but moisturise. Moisturise your hair especially the tips daily. Use a water based moisturiser then seal it with oil such as jbco, safflower , whatever oil. Our hair is dry so you need to moisturise it.

You might to see your hairdresser for a protein treatment.
Low manipulation- don’t brush your hair too hard.

You haven’t got 3c less hair so take very good care of it. Don’t bother colouring it if your hair isn’t healthy.
Buy a wide tooth comb

Don’t buy hair products that have alcohol in it
Try to avoid heat

When relaxing your hair do it professionally and wait between relaxing e.g. every 8 weeks etc
Are you in London?

Find out your hair type . Black people mostly have 3c and below hair.
Type 3c Springy, spiral curls of about 9mm to 12 mm in diameter (loose)
Type 4a very tight curls with peaks from 5 to 7mm apart (tight)
Type 4b very tight spiral curls of 7mm or less in diameter (kinky)

hairtype-chart.jpg

Really long sorry lol

Sorry for the essay!!

Hey, check out my youtube channel ashababe56 I went natural 2 years ago. I am completely again using grease or any products for that matter, on my scalp. And if you think that natural hair is easier to maintain, you're in for a big surprise. I'd also suggest this website blackgirllonghair.com.

Good Luck!

Sorry for the essay!!

Once a month :eek: lol for real?!?! Throw that blue magic/sulfur 8 or whatever it is called in the bin girl! You need to do some protective styles so you can get used to styling your own hair because once you go natural you aren't going to have braids all the time (well I hope not).Getting braids back to back over a long period of time can put stress on your hair especially your edges. Go on Youtube have a look at forums for black hair care and you should be fine.

Original post by Asha5692
Hey, check out my youtube channel ashababe56 I went natural 2 years ago. I am completely again using grease or any products for that matter, on my scalp. And if you think that natural hair is easier to maintain, you're in for a big surprise. I'd also suggest this website blackgirllonghair.com.

Good Luck!

lol I agree with what you said
I'm new to this thread but I have been reading it since it started and I knew that one day I would have the motivation to actually take care of my hair. That day has started a couple of months ago when I realised that 3 years of weave had destroyed my hair :frown:

My background: I come from a family with a lot of mixtures so my hair has always been long. When I was a teenager, I started applying all sorts of gels and I didn't take good care of it at all. I just realised that everyone in my family has the same problem: we are born with a lot of hair and once we start relaxing it, we don't know how to take care of it so it just sheds away :o:

Anyway, I spent a total of 3 months researching about hair care, products, what to do and what not to do and I'm ready!!!

I just wonder if anyone is starting their hair journey now and maybe we can... erm... support each other :smile:

(sorry for the long post)
Reply 1833
Original post by katyness
I'm new to this thread but I have been reading it since it started and I knew that one day I would have the motivation to actually take care of my hair. That day has started a couple of months ago when I realised that 3 years of weave had destroyed my hair :frown:

My background: I come from a family with a lot of mixtures so my hair has always been long. When I was a teenager, I started applying all sorts of gels and I didn't take good care of it at all. I just realised that everyone in my family has the same problem: we are born with a lot of hair and once we start relaxing it, we don't know how to take care of it so it just sheds away :o:

Anyway, I spent a total of 3 months researching about hair care, products, what to do and what not to do and I'm ready!!!

I just wonder if anyone is starting their hair journey now and maybe we can... erm... support each other :smile:

I'm 8 months into mine, but I'd be happy to join you :smile:
Original post by Tel8
I'm 8 months into mine, but I'd be happy to join you :smile:

Oh yes you!! I messaged you. (completely forgot lol) I decided not to transition, I'm not that strong but yes let's do this together :smile:

how long is your hair? what products are you using and what techniques are you keeping an eye on?
Just commenting to watch this thread
Reply 1836

I started my hair journey about 6 months ago and I'm now 5 months and a bit into my transition. so yeah we can all support each other
Original post by Ketchup!
Careful, too much Pink makes your hair look really greasy as I've witnessed first hand :frown:

Agree; cheap hair product which contains a lot of either mineral oil, or petrolatum!
Original post by flosaw9
I started my hair journey about 6 months ago and I'm now 5 months and a bit into my transition. so yeah we can all support each other

Yes :biggrin: I'm so excited!!! so what are your goals for now? what products have you been using?

Original post by DancinBallerina
Agree; cheap hair product which contains a lot of either mineral oil, or petrolatum!

I wanted to tell you this since I have started following you: (:colone:) Thank you! Your curiosity and initiative to start this thread may have just saved my life.
I wanted to PM you but I wasn't sure you still came to TSR so I didn't. :colondollar: Did you change anything about your regime? Did you reach other lengths? I have been checking your blog but no updates have been made on the hair :frown:

And... (sorry) about the deep conditioning, I have been researching this and no-one seems to add an egg to it. Am I crazy for wanting to do that? I have been doing with honey, coconut oil (extra virgin) and 1 egg but I'm thinking I should drop the egg... but then again the hair mayonnaise you suggest on your blog has an egg :confused: because I will be applying heat to it, I'm not sure if it will end up a mess. What do you think?
I wanted to tell you this since I have started following you: (:colone:) Thank you! Your curiosity and initiative to start this thread may have just saved my life.
I wanted to PM you but I wasn't sure you still came to TSR so I didn't. :colondollar: Did you change anything about your regime? Did you reach other lengths? I have been checking your blog but no updates have been made on the hair :frown:

And... (sorry) about the deep conditioning, I have been researching this and no-one seems to add an egg to it. Am I crazy for wanting to do that? I have been doing with honey, coconut oil (extra virgin) and 1 egg but I'm thinking I should drop the egg... but then again the hair mayonnaise you suggest on your blog has an egg :confused: because I will be applying heat to it, I'm not sure if it will end up a mess. What do you think?

Awwww thank you :p:o I still visit TSR; @ least once a day, and now the App. is available I use my phone now and again, so would have definitely seen your message.

I have been meaning to blog more on my hair, but since the beginning of this year, I've literally been very busy, which has meant neglecting my blog. I do plan on doing some hair posts, but when I get a spare few days I shall do some posts.

As for my hair journey - it's been up and down! When I started it, my hair was growing at the speed of lighting, and family and friends couldn't believe it. A lot of people assumed I had ''hair extensions'', but it is my own genuine hair. I am still taking care of my hair, although not as regimented as before, as I'm just very busy, but I have still stuck to the same sort of products I started my journey with. I do not use ANY mineral oil or petrolatum in my hair, and when ever I get my roots done and the hairdressers ''insists'' on using it to oil my scalp, I say nope, and tell her to use my own products! lol My hair has sort of hit BSL (Bra Strap Length - fastening), but I have it cut every so often as I don't like straggly ends.

The egg I add to my pre poo every other week; so I mix up cheap conditioner, amla oil and olive oil, apply to my hair (concentrating on the roots and scalp especially), and then leave for 1 hr (NO HEAT) before washing off and starting the shampoo/condition process. HOWEVER if you're going to DC that week with the hair mayonnaise, you DON'T need to add the egg to the pre poo mix, as it'll be too much protein added to your hair (hope that makes sense). So if you're going to DC with hair mayonnaise, DON'T add egg to the pre poo mix, if you're just pre poo'ing WITHOUT egg, then you can DC with the hair mayonnaise. (You're basically alternating)

(I really hope this is making sense; im quite tired so trying to make sense of this the best I can lol - if it still doesn't make sense, let me know and I will re write it again sometime over the weekend).

Hope this answers your questions

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest