The Student Room Group

Best a level choices for a law degree?

This poll is closed

Is Law a good subject for A levels?

YESSSS. 24%
NOOOO.76%
Total votes: 21
I've decided to go down the law route lol :smile: and i was wondering what sort of subjects should I consider taking?

And also, what is the deal with A level Law, is it seen as a soft subject or is it ok if I take it? I want to be able to get into one of the top unis! :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At AS, my cousin did Physics, Geography, History and English and got an offer of 3 As to study Law at Cambridge :smile:. For A2 he dropped Physics. You can pretty much do any subjects, as long as you have law-based work experience. I don't know about A-level Law :/.
Reply 2
Original post by QTpie118
At AS, my cousin did Physics, Geography, History and English and got an offer of 3 As to study Law at Cambridge :smile:. For A2 he dropped Physics. You can pretty much do any subjects, as long as you have law-based work experience. I don't know about A-level Law :/.

I think I'm going to do Biology, Psychology, Law and English, and then probably drop one of psychology or law at A2. Do you think I would stand a chance of getting into SOAS or Kings or any of those unis?
One of my friends wants to have a job in law, and found that most of the advice he got was to do a degree like English or history, and to do A Levels that support that degree choice.
He's currently doing a history degree, and did A Levels in philosophy, computing and IT (I think).
So in fact he hasn't formally studied law at all yet!
Reply 5

Its just I'm a bit confused, people tell me its been blacklisted by some unis? or is that a lie?
Original post by zeezee180
Its just I'm a bit confused, people tell me its been blacklisted by some unis? or is that a lie?

Some unis prefer it while others don't

If you were to study Bio, English and Law, this is perfectly fine
Biology & English = well respected
2 respected subjects are needed for most top uni's
Reply 7
Original post by 16dan2life

So it would be ok as long as I took respectable subjects? :smile:
Reply 8

Not true - see the link (the text) in my other post for more resources. 16dan2life is spot on though.

Original post by 16dan2life

:yy:

Agree with you except for the part in bold. I know what you mean, but in the interests of clarity, nobody "prefers" it - the best you'll get them saying is that it offers no advantage/disadvantage. At worst, they say "it's non-preferred but OK with two traditional subjects" (which is what you said).
Reply 9
Thats the thing, I don't feel like taking History at A-level, I took it for GCSEs and it bored the hell out of me. Do you think I should take another humanities?
Reply 10
i dont think there's anything wrong with doing law at a-level, you should probably do another essay-based subject like english or history as well. i dont think universities particularly look down on people who do law, really, you can do any subjects and still get offers from good unis for a law degree so it doesnt really matter

i reckon a lot of people do law at a-levels because they feel it'll give them some sort of advantage at university but it actually doesnt! so i'd say if that's the reason you;re choosing it, you might as well pick a subject you like or are good at. but as i said earlier, if that's what you want to do, then there's nothing wrong with doing law at a-level
I've decided to go down the law route lol :smile: and i was wondering what sort of subjects should I consider taking?

And also, what is the deal with A level Law, is it seen as a soft subject or is it ok if I take it? I want to be able to get into one of the top unis! :P

I don't know for sure but I suggest that you do History and/or English lit and either a foreign language or maths or science. To be honest do what you are best at as your opinions may well change before you get to writing your UCAS.
Reply 12
Im already taking these subjects:
English Lit
Psychology
Biology

i dont know what else to takkeeeeeeee :frown:
An A-level in law is not disadvantageous- most uni's don't bat an eyelid- they're more concerned with the grades you get at the end of your A-levels- I applied to 7 unis and got offers from all- they don't care about A-level law- they care about the grade you get at the end. What Uni's are you thinking of applying to?
nope do something else like history or geography instead
So it would be ok as long as I took respectable subjects? :smile:

Yep it would be fine
Minimum 2 preferred subjects
Original post by Tortious
Not true - see the link (the text) in my other post for more resources. 16dan2life is spot on though.

:yy:

Agree with you except for the part in bold. I know what you mean, but in the interests of clarity, nobody "prefers" it - the best you'll get them saying is that it offers no advantage/disadvantage. At worst, they say "it's non-preferred but OK with two traditional subjects" (which is what you said).

:biggrin:
I did Biology, History , Philosophy and English Lit at A level and im off to do law this september :smile: My subjects helped with my personal statement thus making it a bit easier to write one for instance, philosphy results inme being able to understand different opinions and ideas whereas say english lit helped me to digest long passages and condense them,, vital for a lawyer under pressure :smile:
Reply 18
Hi, as a teachr is my tuppence worth.

Do not do law A level if you want to get into law at university, it is considered as VERY BAD preperation.

In my experience they like you to have 'traditional' A levels including History and Englsih Literature. For 'non-traditional' A levels they prefer things like sociology and politics as these are discursie subjects where you have to weigh up different arguments against each other, this is good practice for law degrees unlike law A level which is seen as very 'black and white'.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Reply 19
Original post by risteard
Hi, as a teachr is my tuppence worth.

Do not do law A level if you want to get into law at university, it is considered as VERY BAD preperation.

In my experience they like you to have 'traditional' A levels including History and Englsih Literature. For 'non-traditional' A levels they prefer things like sociology and politics as these are discursie subjects where you have to weigh up different arguments against each other, this is good practice for law degrees unlike law A level which is seen as very 'black and white'.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Do you have any experience with A Level Law itself? There are certainly discursive elements to them (back in my day, two and a half papers out of six were essay-based).

Quick Reply

Latest