The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Applicants for 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by LeJennifleur
Applying to Bristol for Psychology, paid and sent my application to my referee a couple of hours ago! Obviously it's not officially sent off yet but it is in my eyes since I no longer have to spend every evening working on that awful personal statement :biggrin: And now the waiting game begins...

You'll like it :smile: Any questions private message me - I'm doing Psychology. Good luck
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 61
Original post by thisisjokes
Got an acknowledgement email from Bristol this morning. Anybody know roughly how long they'll take to make a decision?

It depends on the department entirely. For example, last year, Psychology took about 2/3 months and Languages took up to 6 months for some people. One girl I know applied in November and did not receive an offer until May.

If you indicate your subject school someone who applied last year to the same school may be able to help.

Oh, also, some people got an offer within 3 or 4 weeks, clearly as the applicant above did. Well done.
Original post by Donniee
Just got an offer from Bristol today for economics, A*AA :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wow that's amazing. When did you send your application? Oooo and what AS grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Original post by frazzledazzle
Wow that's amazing. When did you send your application? Oooo and what AS grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Sent it off last Thursday night, have A* A2 Maths, and A A A for AS.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Donniee

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, that's fantastic. I sent my application to my school yesterday, so I'm hoping that they will send it off to UCAS on Monday. It must be amazing to know that you already have an offer. Awww thanks.
Original post by lou_100
It depends on the department entirely. For example, last year, Psychology took about 2/3 months and Languages took up to 6 months for some people. One girl I know applied in November and did not receive an offer until May.

If you indicate your subject school someone who applied last year to the same school may be able to help.

Oh, also, some people got an offer within 3 or 4 weeks, clearly as the applicant above did. Well done.

Would you mind me asking how long it took you to get a decision from Bristol for Psychology? :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by LeJennifleur
Would you mind me asking how long it took you to get a decision from Bristol for Psychology? :smile:

I can't remember 100%, but I think it was either December or January I got my offer, and I applied mid-October...so 2 or 3 months? I think it was January, though...so 3 months.

At first, I couldn't wait for offers and everyone was really apprehensive...but after a couple months of waiting you almost forget you are waiting so it gets exciting when you get an offer (hopefully) through.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
I'm applying for Law with German :smile:
Hey everyone, I'm applying for MEng Computer Science! :smile:
Hey all, quick question, not sure if I'm in the right place or not.

I got A in Chem/A in Bio/B in Physics at AS level. Biochemistry wants AAA.

Problem is as well, this is my third year. My first year I was in poor health and with trouble with transport to college... well, you can probably work out the rest.

I'm targeted A*AB for next year (aiming for A*AA but obviously that's another matter!) if I were to achieve that what do you all reckon my chances are of getting on the course?

The uni looks fantastic and I've occasionally visited Bristol every once in a while since I was a kid so I'm absolutely dying for a place!

Cheers :smile:
Reply 70
Hey guys m applyin to bristol !!! Im a completely non standard applicant and I'm worried about it. How is their non standard applicant intake? Like I'm a mature student as well :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by spleenharvester
Hey all, quick question, not sure if I'm in the right place or not.

I got A in Chem/A in Bio/B in Physics at AS level. Biochemistry wants AAA.

Problem is as well, this is my third year. My first year I was in poor health and with trouble with transport to college... well, you can probably work out the rest.

I'm targeted A*AB for next year (aiming for A*AA but obviously that's another matter!) if I were to achieve that what do you all reckon my chances are of getting on the course?

The uni looks fantastic and I've occasionally visited Bristol every once in a while since I was a kid so I'm absolutely dying for a place!

Cheers :smile:

Are you applying in this cycle for 2014 intake? If so, the whole "if I were to achieve said grades" doesn't matter. The university is only interested in your AS and predicted grades to give you an offer, as they give you an offer long before you get your A2 grades.

So, the better question is that if you were predicted A*AB what are your chances of being offered a place on an AAA course. Technically, you don't meet the grade requirements as your third grade is a B not an A. However, last year Bristol made some adjustments on certain courses for certain people post-offer , stating that getting a grade point equivalent of the original offer would still result in their acceptance. The only thing this helps with, is giving an indication that the university as a whole has a window open for grade point equivalent offers to wiggle through in some cases.

To answer your questions, you may have less of a shot than others, but if the rest of your application is good then there is a chance you may receive an offer. This offer, however, will most likely still be AAA, meaning you will have to end up attaining an A and not a B in your third subject. There is slight chance they may tell you they will accept A*AB if the rest of your application is particularly excellent.

Original post by Rdika
Hey guys m applyin to bristol !!! Im a completely non standard applicant and I'm worried about it. How is their non standard applicant intake? Like I'm a mature student as well :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Clarify non-standard applicant? Mature student won't affect your application much. There's quite a few mature students at Bristol.
Reply 72
Original post by lou_100

Clarify non-standard applicant? Mature student won't affect your application much. There's quite a few mature students at Bristol.

Well I am an international applicant studying completely non standard qualifications like Tamil Nadu state board in 12th grade and anglo indian board in grade 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Rdika
Well I am an international applicant studying completely non standard qualifications like Tamil Nadu state board in 12th grade and anglo indian board in grade 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. With non-standard qualifications you need to directly contact the university admissions teams by phone or email, giving detailed explanations of your situation and the exams you are taking. They will give you a direct explanation of what happens next specifically for you.
Reply 74
Original post by Donniee

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I got an A* for A2 Maths and A A B for AS (damn you economics!), I was wondering if your offer of A*AA means that you'll have to get A*AA this year or AA (cos you already have A* Maths)? Did they base it on the subjects you're sitting this year?
Reply 75
Am hopefully applying for Zoology there, but I haven't sent off the UCAS form yet 'cause I want to visit Leeds and Manchester first :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by marm-alade
Hello! I'm applying on October 16th, so the day after oxbridge so they know I'm not applying there, and also in the early batch so that I seem eager :smile:

Do they care if you're an Oxbridge applicant or appear to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Donniee
Just got an offer from Bristol today for economics, A*AA :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

So so so jealous. Congrats btw, I didn't even know anyone gave out offers this early. Hopefully I'll be in your situation (sitting with an offer from Bristol Econ) this time next month.
Original post by NedStark
So so so jealous. Congrats btw, I didn't even know anyone gave out offers this early. Hopefully I'll be in your situation (sitting with an offer from Bristol Econ) this time next month.

Thanks, I'm sure they'll get to you very quickly as well if they assess them first come first serve. Anyone getting theirs off before mid october seems to be at an advantage.
Original post by Donniee
Thanks, I'm sure they'll get to you very quickly as well if they assess them first come first serve. Anyone getting theirs off before mid october seems to be at an advantage.

Since I'm giving Cambridge a cheeky application, mine should be off by, if not before, Oct 15. Am I right in presuming you were predicted 3A*?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending