The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lockra
Okay, do my goal is to do Oxford PPE, and I was expecting a fairly solid set of GCSEs that would help me do so, however, I got 4As and 6Bs.

It's worth noting that I'm going to a considerably better school for sixth form and I had tinnitus when I was doing my tests, which probably hindered me at least a little bit. I saw the GP about it during exams.

Is the dream over or is this easily overlooked given my situation?

It might be worth a shot but your chances are definitely slim. PPE is an incredibly competitive course ANYWHERE, let alone Oxford. There will probably be a surplus of applicants who have great personal statements, reference etc. and also have straight A*s at GCSE (many of whom won't get in).

Still, good luck and everything.
Original post by simbasdragon
I received 4A's in my A levels, would my application for Classics or CAAH at Oxford be competitive, or would most post A2 applicants have A*'s? Thankyou.

You'd probably be an above average applicant on paper since the standard offer is AAA. You definitely have a good chance, although not guaranteed.
Original post by jdizzle12345
It might be worth a shot but your chances are definitely slim. PPE is an incredibly competitive course ANYWHERE, let alone Oxford. There will probably be a surplus of applicants who have great personal statements, reference etc. and also have straight A*s at GCSE (many of whom won't get in).

Still, good luck and everything.

Ive had a good look at the Cambrdige course too, seems that they are not so bothered about GCSEs so perhaps that'd be a better target...
Original post by Lockra
Ive had a good look at the Cambrdige course too, seems that they are not so bothered about GCSEs so perhaps that'd be a better target...

I don't think cambridge offer PPE, right? I think the closest would be a combined course of Philosophy and Economics.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Want to apply for Theology.

Didn't take GCSEs

AS grades:

A in politics (93% UMS)

A in English (around 83% UMS)

B in Economics (3 marks off an A, so getting it remarked)

B in History (also 3 marks off an A, so getting that remarked too).

May go up to 4As or 3As and a B.

Also doing an EPQ.

Predicted grades likely A*AA, but possibly A*A*A.

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say it'd be worth giving it a shot if those Bs edge up a grade post-remark :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OhGod
Asking on behalf of a sibling. Would 1A* 8As and two Bs in two short courses (RE and Extended Project) be good enough?

I have the same GCSE's as your sibling :biggrin:
I've already spoken to my college G&T coordinator and he's told me it won't hinder me too much because I went to a bad school.

Your sibling really needs to focus at their A-Levels as they're more important (for the most part) and try and aim for AAAA at AS (minimum that they can get is really ABBB to stand any sort of chance)
Original post by jdizzle12345
I don't think cambridge offer PPE, right? I think the closest would be a combied course of Philosophy and Economics.

Yes, it's a similar course but not a PPE, but hey, Oxbridge is Oxbridge.
Original post by Lockra
Yes, it's a similar course but not a PPE, but hey, Oxbridge is Oxbridge.

Ok, maybe don't try to go for a combined course at Cambridge because I think that they are much harder to get into.

It does seem to be the general consensus, although not 100% true, that cambridge are less interested in GCSEs than Oxford. However, the fact that A-Level are being reformed may make GCSEs more important in the decision making.

Anyway, there's currently an "ask me anything" here- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242&page=48

run by a Cambridge admissions tutor. He is very helpful and answers everyone. Better ask him what you should do next (although he has temporarily locked the thread but will be back on tuesday). Hope this helps.
I got 8A*s, 4As and a C (a break down of my results here: https://annabananastyle.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/gcse-results-day/). Do you think I have a chance of getting into Oxbridge to study medicine or a related course?
I want to study physics at Oxford and got 7A*s, 2As, an A in admaths fsmq (which is the highest you can get) and a B in English language. If the B as in another subject I wouldn't be worried but I feel like English is an important subject so do you think I still have a chance? Also I went to a good grammar school and there were 5 people in my year who got 10 or more A*s so would that make it harder to get in?
Original post by OwlOfFire
I got 8A*s, 4As and a C (a break down of my results here: https://annabananastyle.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/gcse-results-day/). Do you think I have a chance of getting into Oxbridge to study medicine or a related course?

Oxford medicine is, sadly, probably out of the question due to the percentage of A* grades :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 4a* 3a and 2B at GCSE and wish to study Classics at Oxford. Do you think this is possible? Thank you :smile:
Original post by fernblaze
I want to study physics at Oxford and got 7A*s, 2As, an A in admaths fsmq (which is the highest you can get) and a B in English language. If the B as in another subject I wouldn't be worried but I feel like English is an important subject so do you think I still have a chance? Also I went to a good grammar school and there were 5 people in my year who got 10 or more A*s so would that make it harder to get in?

Absolutely don't worry about your GCSEs, they are perfectly fine for Oxford Physics (I got in with 4A*, 5A, 3B - one of my Bs was english language too!). And no, your contextual GCSE data would only be used to flag up whether you actually did well for your school as far as I know (again, my school, while not a grammar school, had a handful of people who got straight A* or similar in my year) :smile:
Hi
Sorry to sound like an obnoxious cock but my minds being irrational
I got 9 A stars and B in arabic today.Is that good enough for Oxford Classics?
Hey guys and girls. I have 3A*s(including Maths) 6As 1B 1C (english language :frown: ) at GCSE.
I have 4As at As Level (Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry). I aim to study Mathematics. I have already started MAT preparation and have been doing good in them. I feel that I can get into the 60S or 70s with my marks in the MAT by november.Would I have decent chance of getting in?
Original post by Handwritingman
Hi
Sorry to sound like an obnoxious cock but my minds being irrational
I got 9 A stars and B in arabic today.Is that good enough for Oxford Classics?

Most definitely! Are you applying for the 3 or 4 year course?
Original post by Lau14
Absolutely don't worry about your GCSEs, they are perfectly fine for Oxford Physics (I got in with 4A*, 5A, 3B - one of my Bs was english language too!). And no, your contextual GCSE data would only be used to flag up whether you actually did well for your school as far as I know (again, my school, while not a grammar school, had a handful of people who got straight A* or similar in my year) :smile:

Original post by ZoeN2
I got 4a* 3a and 2B at GCSE and wish to study Classics at Oxford. Do you think this is possible? Thank you :smile:

If you do well in your A Levels and think you'd like the course and can score well in the entrance exam, I see no reason to not apply :smile:
Wait, so does that mean if you have one of the best GCSE results in your school, Oxford will be more likely to accept you although your grades are not as good compared to private schools?
Original post by puta.madre
Wait, so does that mean if you have one of the best GCSE results in your school, Oxford will be more likely to accept you although your grades are not as good compared to private schools?

They look at your GCSEs in context with your schools, so if you go to a really terrible school and get GCSEs that are on the lower end for Oxbridge applicants but are in the top of your school, then this gets flagged up on your application so yes, basically. You'd still need appropriate A level predictions and to do well in any entrance exams, but it means you aren't at as much of a disadvantage if you go to a terrible secondary school!

Latest

Trending

Trending