The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Elements of the Gothic (LITB3) - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fox Corner
Hi everyone :wavey:

Happy results day! How was your English result?

If you have a question about results, UCAS, clearing or adjustment, head over to our Applications and UCAS forum for advice and info.

Congratulations on reaching the end of your exams!

:bl:

English

Got an A* in English Lit (AQA) - 60/60 UMS in coursework and 115/120 UMS in the paper :biggrin:
Got an A* too! Very surprised...*
Original post by lappy482
Came out with an A overall! Overjoyed!

Original post by Soph97
Got an A*!! Got a B overall last year with full marks in the coursework and a D in the exam, got two A*s this year and I pulled it up! So shocked and ecstatic!

Original post by connieiscrazy
Got an A* in English Lit (AQA) - 60/60 UMS in coursework and 115/120 UMS in the paper :biggrin:

Congratulations guys!!!! These are amazing marks - you should all feel super proud of yourselves :yay:
Original post by scrawlx101
got a d,shocked,getting priorty remark,still chasing an A

Hope your remark gets you the grade you want - marking essay subjects can be so up and down sometimes :/

Original post by Josh124
Grade went down to a c gutted I missed out on my first choice

I'm sorry to hear that :frown: Did you get into your insurance?
Original post by connieiscrazy

i thought coursework wuz 80/80 ums ??

anyway i got an a* too :smile:
Original post by scrawlx101
got a d,shocked,getting priorty remark,still chasing an A

got a C in my exam (overall B) which i was so shocked with - also sent it off for a remark as i've never produced an essay that poorly under timed conditions, fingers crossed the grade goes up. I have a feeling once again AQA were using examiners not qualified to properly mark English essay eg biology teachers as it's happened in the past.
Reply 866
I got 120 UMS in the exam and 80 UMS for my coursework

To say that I'm shocked is a massive understatement
Original post by Kittyboy
i thought coursework wuz 80/80 ums ??

anyway i got an a* too :smile:

Oh yes you're right! Yeah I got 80/80, I got a bit mixed up there with my French oral UMS which is out of 60

And congrats! :biggrin:
Got an A :smile:
Okay, I am beyond happy with English...

I retook the AS paper and went from a D to an A - I never expected to see an A on my results sheet, so I'm super pleased with that. And it brought my A2 grade up to a B overall, something I didn't thin would happen, and one of my teachers didn't think would happen!
Original post by kaytaylou
I'm extremely upset with my English. My A2 exam is an E. I got a C overall, because I got A B B E in my units. :frown:

And I resat LITB1 and did worse :smile:

Wow ! Crazy how I did exactly the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an E last year in Litb1 and was gutted, resat it and got 120 UMS and an A* overall - crazily shocked. AQA marking can be so damn confusing and unfair, a few people from our school got unexpected grades in this exam
Guys, if my results sheet says i got 89 marks for Unit 3 and 76 for unit 4, what were these out of??
Original post by Gingerlamps1335
Guys, if my results sheet says i got 89 marks for Unit 3 and 76 for unit 4, what were these out of??

Unit 3 is out of 120, Unit 4 is out of 80.
Everyone did so well! :frown:
Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting my paper remarked as I was very surprised with my grade in it to say the least. My paper came back as a D (67 UMS) and I'm basically 100% sure I did everything the mark scheme required, the results at my school seemed to be a bit all over the place. Anyway, I got a B overall and need just 6 UMS to get an A - is it worth doing?
Reply 876
Original post by Jedwards
Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting my paper remarked as I was very surprised with my grade in it to say the least. My paper came back as a D (67 UMS) and I'm basically 100% sure I did everything the mark scheme required, the results at my school seemed to be a bit all over the place. Anyway, I got a B overall and need just 6 UMS to get an A - is it worth doing?

Hi

I assume this means you got 314 UMS points overall? An A is 320 UMS points and a B in 280 UMS points so you would have to lose 34 UMS for you to be downgraded.

Your 67 UMS is equivalent to 32 marks.

The 6 UMS marks you are looking for equates to 5 marks in the exam. You need to get 37 in the exam to bring it up to an A.

To go down a grade you would have to lose 10 marks (go down from 32 marks to 22 marks).

It seems unlikely that you would lose 10 marks considering you are so confident about how your exam went. Equally, my exams officer told me that she rarely recommends to get a remark for any exams that are over 5 UMS marks off of the next grade so it may be equally unlikely that your exam will go up.

Do not forget that Ofqual have made the exam remark system but harsher this year so a change in mark is less easy to attain - only is there is a clear mistake in the marking, not just because of subjectivity.

The ultimate decision will clearly be yours. I would have a chat with your teacher to see what they think.
Original post by eddso
Hi

I assume this means you got 314 UMS points overall? An A is 320 UMS points and a B in 280 UMS points so you would have to lose 34 UMS for you to be downgraded.

Your 67 UMS is equivalent to 32 marks.

The 6 UMS marks you are looking for equates to 5 marks in the exam. You need to get 37 in the exam to bring it up to an A.

To go down a grade you would have to lose 10 marks (go down from 32 marks to 22 marks).

It seems unlikely that you would lose 10 marks considering you are so confident about how your exam went. Equally, my exams officer told me that she rarely recommends to get a remark for any exams that are over 5 UMS marks off of the next grade so it may be equally unlikely that your exam will go up.

Do not forget that Ofqual have made the exam remark system but harsher this year so a change in mark is less easy to attain - only is there is a clear mistake in the marking, not just because of subjectivity.

The ultimate decision will clearly be yours. I would have a chat with your teacher to see what they think.

Yep, I got 314. That being said, I was under the impression that I would need my raw mark to go down to 8/80 (32 UMS), which would be a drop of 34 UMS overall, as that's the boundary for a C overall.
Original post by Jedwards
Hi everyone,

Last year, my LITB1 script went up by 5 raw marks. Ask people in your college who have requested a remark how their remarks have gone. This is because all your centre is marked by one examiner and so you can see from the outcome of others' remarks whether or not the examiner is marking to the required standard.

If, however, you're confident that you did much better, then go for it. In terms of the new remark system, you're more likely to go up by 3+ marks than you are by 1-2 marks. Plus, you only need 5 UMS for your module grade to change and if your module grade changes, you will also get a refund. :smile:
My remark came back today: I went up 41 UMS, going from a B to an A* overall (my exam from a D to an A*)

Absolutely ridiculous how bad the marking is

Quick Reply

Latest