The Student Room Group

Third class degree, what next?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Ohmygoodness this thread has filled up with idiots debating rankings!!

OP - have you considered doing a masters? Even with a poor undergrad performance a masters can give you a second chance. Also, I would highly recommend looking abroad for this - they are less likely to care about your undergrad results/ understand the UK grading systems, plus then you get "international experience" for your CV :smile: I'm currently in China doing a year abroad and have met so many other students who were in similar situations to you, but came here and were offered full scholarships at top Chinese universities (the uni ranking system here massively supports universities becoming more "international" so many are desperate for international students). Also, the grading system here is a lot more generous than in the UK - you're guaranteed to pass and if you turn up to class and do all your assignments should easily get 90%+.

I'm thinking of applying for an Msc even though all the unis minimum rankings are 2:2.
And my OP mentions that my jobs I'm hoping to get are abroad, maybe back in my home country. I just find it so much better that a lot of places outside the UK don't give a **** about what degree class you get. As long as they hear the name of the degree and where you studied it.
Reply 101
Original post by A$aprocky
I dont think macdonalds would hire you, they need at least a 2:2

A 2.2 in engineering is as good as 2.1 in anything else :wink:
OP I'm in a similar situation but maybe not quite as bad! I need a middlish 2.2 in this semester to get a 2.2 overall and it's stressing me out even tho it's not even that hard to. I found the best way to proceed for me is to just completley knuckle down that means:
-No sitting around whining and calculating grades and feeling sorry for yourself. Turn that selfpity into motivation and just keep thinking that you can do it.
-Compare yourself to the best guys on your course. If they study 9 hours you study 11. If you ever feel like you deserve a break cause your friends are taking one remember they're not on a third!I'm lucky in that regard cause I've got friends who are on firsts that I've latched onto. That means I try and work on what they are working on and copy their techniques. Try the same.
-This one is **** but it's necessary...no drinking,drugs or anything like that. It wastes too much of your time being hungover and if you're gonna take a break you wanna do something that relaxes your body and mind like a sport. It really helps me revise going to the gym at least 3 times a week.
-I just refuse to think of what'll happen if I get a third. I know it might be a bad idea brcause if it happens I'll feel like **** but it just makes me work that much harder and it makes me more confident.

You just have to get the ball rolling and you'll somehow get it done! Good luck to you and wish me luck too haha
Original post by Thechillyone
OP I'm in a similar situation but maybe not quite as bad! I need a middlish 2.2 in this semester to get a 2.2 overall and it's stressing me out even tho it's not even that hard to. I found the best way to proceed for me is to just completley knuckle down that means:
-No sitting around whining and calculating grades and feeling sorry for yourself. Turn that selfpity into motivation and just keep thinking that you can do it.
-Compare yourself to the best guys on your course. If they study 9 hours you study 11. If you ever feel like you deserve a break cause your friends are taking one remember they're not on a third!I'm lucky in that regard cause I've got friends who are on firsts that I've latched onto. That means I try and work on what they are working on and copy their techniques. Try the same.
-This one is **** but it's necessary...no drinking,drugs or anything like that. It wastes too much of your time being hungover and if you're gonna take a break you wanna do something that relaxes your body and mind like a sport. It really helps me revise going to the gym at least 3 times a week.
-I just refuse to think of what'll happen if I get a third. I know it might be a bad idea brcause if it happens I'll feel like **** but it just makes me work that much harder and it makes me more confident.

You just have to get the ball rolling and you'll somehow get it done! Good luck to you and wish me luck too haha

Hi this is random but I just wanted to drop in and say good luck to you, reading that was actually pretty motivating for me too, and just try your best, your attitude is amazing, keep it up! x
how did OP get on?
Original post by thecdon
how did OP get on?

EDIT: OP hasn't been on TSR for almost a year
(edited 7 years ago)
My close friend graduated from the University of Manchester with a third class honours degrees in Aerospace Engineering. He was from Asia. He was homesick and his English was not his first language. He missed his family a lot and this affected his studies significantly. He managed to get 2.2 up to his last year at the Uni. However, in his last year, he was getting bad grades due to hard subjects. He was studying hard but he couldn't get good marks. He faced with a lot of difficulties but he never gave up on his dreams. He just wanted to be an aerospace engineer. Finally, he graduated with a third class honours but he missed 2.2 with small margin. He was not hopeless. He knew it was hard to study in foreign country. He knew it would hard to get a degree from prestigious university, particularly in engineering subject. He told me that he would be very happy to graduate with a honours degree at the end and he got it. After graduation, he took a gap year and travelled a lot around the world. He was just tired of studying and he wanted to relax. Later on, he decided to do Master's degree in Space Engineering. He applied only one university in the UK and he got accepted. He was so happy. He got another chance to prove himself at different uni. It is wonderful opportunity for him. He might do well in his Master's degree and then he may get a good job at the end. He didn't apply any job because Master's degree is vital for most employers. Today, Undergraduate degree is becoming more and more usual thing. There are many people who graduate with Bachelor's degree in engineering. However, there are less people who graduate with Master's degree and PhD. In today's world, it is very important to do Masters. Nothing is impossible. Don't listen negative people. Stay with positive people and never let your hope to be destroyed by negative people. I believe, getting a third class honours degree from good university is important. Many people admit that It is going to be a hard thing to study Aerospace Engineering than other degrees.It is a ROCKET SCIENCE, NOT A SIMPLE THING. Obviously, getting a third class degree in aerospace engineering matters. There are many people who can't even go to university but they can become top class businessman or very successful company boss. Elon Musk didn't go to Harvard University. However, there are a lot of Harvard graduates who works under Elon Musk.

Of course, there are differences between universities. Getting a third class degree from Oxbridge might be harder than getting a 2.1 from other universities. Some universities are harder than others. Each university has its own strength at specific subjects. Say, B university can be very good at engineering whereas E university can be good at law. It is important which university you study and what degree you study.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by smirnoff
Yes, if I get a first in these finals then that would push it up to a 2:2

If you're as desperate as you sound and I were in your place. I'd fake illness, skip the exams, and sit them at the end of the summer once you've had more time to revise. Provided you use that time to revise. Say that you're depressed or something, and get a medical certificate to prove it.

Alternatively, (I think) you could focus just on a few selected modules, and get good grades in those. Then repeat the remaining modules next year part-time, whilst working. I don't know if this is an option though. I've never had to resort to anything like it. I've heard of other people doing it I think, though I might have understood wrong.

3rd... is, really. Sorry. Not good. Even just a 2:2 will make a big difference there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Eternalflames
EDIT: OP hasn't been on TSR for almost a year

Dafook I just wasted my time for.
Firstly try your best, you still have a good chance of scoring well and good luck!

In the mean time apply for some post grad schemes at engineering firms, they will help get you up to scratch as typically a fresh grad lacks a lot of knowledge anyway for engineering life and an employer knows this! I will also make the assumption you could potentially be stronger practically then on theory side so it will give you a chance to show your skills and then can progress your career from there.

Either way don't panic just keep trying to push yourself!
Reply 110
Original post by Lawliettt
Lol how can i take you seriously when your argument consists of employment %. And I'm betting this was from uni stats. A site that doesn't look at employment in relevant sectors. For all we know, those Met or Liverpool graduates could be working at McDonalds and raising the % up.

I never thought I'd see the day where someone defended engineering at Manchester met and Liverpool on TSR. Jesus wept. And you're being naive. What skills the student gained from their time at X uni isn't even the most important factor. That won't be properly shown to the employer after they've got the job anyway. The real issue is applying with a Uni on your CV that's poorly ranked on every ranking in England for that course. Aka the reputation.

But even aside from all that, I never said attending liverpool will leave you jobless. I'm sure some find jobs. I just said

A. the mech eng there is mediocre and there there are better unis asking for lower grades.
B. You're disadvantaged applying there for good engineering graduate jobs

I'm almost certain that the a significant amount people graduating your source unis with engineering just took their degree and went into accounting or something. Cause you know damn well that 80% of the mechanical engineering graduates at Manchese met didn't go onto find Mechanical engineering graduate roles within 6 months.

Why argue with me about something you don't seem to know much about? Academic questions are very often asked at engineeeing interviews. This isn't an interview for retail. In addition to that, high standards of academics are required to get a decent degree in the first place. If the first 2 lines of your response are factually incorrect then I worry for the rest of your argument lol.

Then you've gone onto to say the chances are high of beating a good Cambridge graduate to a graduate role because of Cambridge's style of teaching? Wow lol. Their style of teaching is one of the things that makes them great. But I guess everyone else is wrong and you're right. I'm sure employers prefer Liverpools practicals to Cambridge. The whole point is stupid because it implies general engineering at cambridge doesn't involve practical work too. If it didn't I doubt the course would be as highly regarded.

Can you explain why you hate Liverpool so much? I'm thinking of studying physics there next year
If you have a third class, write a magnificent CV, by all means put your degree down but not the grades. Don't say anything unless anyone asks, be brave, be confident.

Do a masters if you can.

AND/OR start on an entry level job in your field and begin to build experience.

Right now experience is more important than grades and degrees.

Degrees only show your aptitude for a subject.

From Tora Hurd. :biggrin:
Original post by thecdon
how did OP get on?

Found him at my local McDonalds serving me fries and a Big Mac. He's doing well for himself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending