The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Not to spam this thread but searching for the 2009 STEP III one bore no fuit / Engle (in his problem solving book) states i=11Fi=4(1+52) \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{F_i} = 4 - \left(\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\right) - just added for completeness
wait - thats not right - ill get back to you when I am in a state that allows me to read pages.
Reply 1902
The reciprocal Fibonacci constant has no closed form - I've found that mistake in Engel too...
Would have been better if he'd said 1Fn=51+52\sum \frac{1}{F_n} = 5 - \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}; that would at least be close enough to be convincing (3.36... v.s. 3.38...)
Reply 1904
It might be interesting to see whether there is some plausible inductive step (the question was posed in the chapter on induction) that explains its presence in the book...
Md. Qela Genisa.

This is a mnemonic for a maths thingy, any guesses as for what? (Hint: Think hot!)
Massive hint 'MAGMA'

Just think it's quite a cool word for an algebraic structure. The rest of the mnemonic tells about what conditions you need to include/exclude to move into another structure (Magma-->Quasigroup-->Loop-->Group-->Monoid-->Semigroup-->Magma)

(N=Monoid...which is a bit silly now I look at it)
Here's a simple extension I found to a BMO2 problem.

Suppose we have a circle that passes through each side of a regular n-gon twice. Show that the sum of the lengths of the side of the n-gon to the right of the chords formed where a side of the n-gon intersects the circle is equal to the sum of the lengths to the left of these chords.
A little one which isn't massively mathematical but it quite nice.

You travel from A to B at a speed of 30m/s and then back at a different speed. What speed should you travel back if you wish the average speed of the whole journey to be 60m/s?

I heard it in the pub the other night and so I hope that I got the numbers right :tongue:
The Muon
A little one which isn't massively mathematical but it quite nice.

You travel from A to B at a speed of 30m/s and then back at a different speed. What speed should you travel back if you wish the average speed of the whole journey to be 60m/s?
Fast. Really fast.
Isn't that really easy to solve?
Reply 1911
(2,3) and (1,1)
Reply 1912

Spoiler

This isn't particularly ingenious, but here's an observation I made recently:

Find the minimum value of the constant λ\lambda such that

(a1+a2++ak)nλ(a1n+a2n++akn)\displaystyle (a_1 + a_2 + \dots + a_k)^n \le \lambda(a_1^n + a_2^n + \dots + a_k^n)

for aia_i real and positive.

Hence, write down the value of

r1,r2,,rk(nr1,r2,,rk)\displaystyle \sum_{r_1,r_2,\dots,r_k} \binom{n}{r_1,r_2,\dots,r_k}

where the summation is over all non-negative sequences of integers ri,1ikr_i, 1 \le i \le k such that r1+r2++rk=nr_1 + r_2 + \dots + r_k = n
Reply 1913
Yup :yes:

Spoiler

Reply 1914
Yup again :yes:

No huge insight required here, but I thought it was quite neat :smile:
Reply 1915
:frown:

Lesson learned....don't wildly copy and paste LaTeX....
Reply 1916
No :biggrin: you misunderstand :biggrin:

In my haste to crunch through the LaTeX, I copied the summation from the previous part of the reasoning, before attempting to rewrite the whole thing as a binomial expansion. So in essence, due to a general lack of brain function, for a short while I thought that each term in the summation could be evaluated as a binomial expansion (which is obviously not true). I didn't spot it until right now though.
Reply 1917
:confused:

What's that 5^k doing? I don't think it's needed.

What you have is half of a row of Pascal's triangle. Easy to see when n is odd. and since the full row is divisible by 2^n etc....

What I haven't thought about yet is showing that your sum is half the row total when n is even.

What's that spoiler about by the way?
Reply 1918
:blush:

I completely misread that. Sorry.
Reply 1919
Think I've got it, its a bit messy though.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest