The Student Room Group

Is there any reason to choose Imperial over Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Because Cambridge was always better than oxford.
There are many good reasons, oxbridge is not too good for some specialities of engineering and the application process for it is stressful and will distract you from your classes.
Reply 22
Original post by Captain Hindsight
They are out dated

Not really mate, employers and academics are entirely aware of why they award BA degrees in every area and their course content is unaffected.
i did my bachelors in a small(er) city (Nottingham) and now doing a Masters in London. Yes, London is an amazing city and I am enjoying it, but it is so large it feels a bit overwhelming. I'm glad I did my bachelors in Nottingham where you have a bit more space, before coming to London.
Original post by neurodude
Not really mate, employers and academics are entirely aware of why they award BA degrees in every area and their course content is unaffected.

may be unaffected and still valued but it is still out of date
Well I know a friend who chose Imperial over Oxford simply because she wanted to attend music events outside of university and Imperial is located near to the Royal College of Music.
Reply 26
Imperial is amazing for Sciences and Maths. Oxford, imo, is better for the humanities.
I've heard that the medical course at Imperial is better regarded than the one at Oxford.
Original post by Astonix
Imperial is amazing for Sciences and Maths. Oxford, imo, is better for the humanities.

of course it is, imperial doesn't do humanities. The idea that Oxford is more for humanities and not so good for for science and maths is a load of rubbish spouted by ill-informed sixth formers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Captain Hindsight
may be unaffected and still valued but it is still out of date

Why is that an issue to you, then? :smile:
If I receive an offer from Oxford, I'm going to have a tough decision to make. I know that's easy to say in my current position, but I'm being sincere, it genuinely would be a tough choice for me. I know loads of people who would jump at an Oxford offer in the blink of an eye, just because it's Oxford, but I've really fallen in love with Imperial. The two are very different, for my course at least Imperial is more engineering and industry focused than Oxford, and graduate employment and starting salaries for my subject are the best in the country. I also prefer the idea of living in the heart of London than I do living in a quiet college in Oxford (although for some it would be the other way around). But then I prefer the department and course content at Oxford. So it's really not as clean cut as you might think. There are plenty of personal reasons to choose Imperial over Oxford, both are fantastic internationally renowned universities anyway, it's not like you'd be throwing away your life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by lukas1051
If I receive an offer from Oxford, I'm going to have a tough decision to make. I know that's easy to say in my current position, but I'm being sincere, it genuinely would be a tough choice for me. I know loads of people who would jump at an Oxford offer in the blink of an eye, just because it's Oxford, but I've really fallen in love with Imperial. The two are very different, for my course at least Imperial is more engineering and industry focused than Oxford, and graduate employment and starting salaries for my subject are the best in the country. I also prefer the idea of living in the heart of London than I do living in a quiet college in Oxford (although for some it would be the other way around). But then I prefer the department and course content at Oxford. So it's really not as clean cut as you might think. There are plenty of personal reasons to choose Imperial over Oxford, both are fantastic internationally renowned universities anyway, it's not like you'd be throwing away your life.

same here, think personally my only motivation to choose oxford is the fact that its oxford, and maybe that the people there seem more intelligent on average. I love everything else about Imperial and would probably be better off there.

Quick Reply

Latest