The Student Room Group

Need help with uni choices! Thank you(:

Hello guys,
Im a foundation student at Bellerbys and need help choosing between my universities for LLB Law.

Bristol - 75%
Nottingham - 75%
Manchester - 75%
Exeter - 65%
Durham - rejected

I will definitely have to put Exeter as my insurance but I'm still unsure as to my firm, and am wondering if anyone had any suggestions! To be honest I'm leaning towards Nottingham University but my program manager strongly recommends Bristol..
Thank you in advance for the help (:
Reply 1
I would say that Nottingham would be slightly 'better'. But it's only a trivial difference. Bristol law isn't what it used to be. But, the people who will be looking over your CV will probably be around the same generation as your programme manager, perhaps you should look at itfrom that pserspective. If he regards it over Notts, perhaps some employers will to.
Reply 2
Original post by Sean9001
I would say that Nottingham would be slightly 'better'. But it's only a trivial difference. Bristol law isn't what it used to be. But, the people who will be looking over your CV will probably be around the same generation as your programme manager, perhaps you should look at itfrom that pserspective. If he regards it over Notts, perhaps some employers will to.

I think he regards it over Notts as people from my school traditionally goes to Bristol though.
I've seen league tables that have put Notts over Bristol in law, but Bristol has had higher rankings overall as a university? It makes it difficult for me to choose as i'm an international student (Singaporean) and I'm worried that world rankings may be important to my further employers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sean9001
But it's only a trivial difference.

I would agree there isn't much between the two. It's really down to personal preference. If it helps I know there is quite a big Singaporean society at Nottingham.
Reply 4
Original post by Alex_Dylan
I think he regards it over Notts as people from my school traditionally goes to Bristol though.
I've seen league tables that have put Notts over Bristol in law, but Bristol has had higher rankings overall as a university? It makes it difficult for me to choose as i'm an international student (Singaporean) and I'm worried that world rankings may be important to my further employers.

I was in a similar position. I had to choose between Nottingham which was ranked best for Law, or Warwick which was ranked best overall. Eventually I chose Warwick because I think that places me in better position for a wider variety of career paths.

Really, this is like choosing which pair of diamond shoes to wear. I don't think you can really make a wrong choice. But Nottingham is probably more recognised in your neck of the woods, simply because of Nottingham's overseas campuses. Although, I was put off Nottingham by the shocking amount of students who don't get a first of a 2:1.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello guys,
Im a foundation student at Bellerbys and need help choosing between my universities for LLB Law.

Bristol - 75%
Nottingham - 75%
Manchester - 75%
Exeter - 65%
Durham - rejected

I will definitely have to put Exeter as my insurance but I'm still unsure as to my firm, and am wondering if anyone had any suggestions! To be honest I'm leaning towards Nottingham University but my program manager strongly recommends Bristol..

Your choice for firm is really only a two-horse race. There's little distinction to be made between Bristol and Nottingham as far as UK employers are concerned, discounting regional employers who might lean toward the local university. It sounds as though you're looking at the opposite end of the spectrum in that regard though, so I wouldn't have thought it would make a huge difference. They're quite different universities though - any preference on that front?
Reply 6
Nottingham replied me today and clarified their offer which is 70%, so i'm pretty happy about that. It is harder to do well in Nottingham then? Thats a pretty huge factor i should consider though as i have to get a first or a 2:1 to qualify in Singapore. Its a really difficult choice cos both are really good universities but does anyone know how much the universities differ with respect as to student societies, teaching quality and environment?
Reply 7
Nottingham replied me today and clarified their offer which is 70%, so i'm pretty happy about that. It is harder to do well in Nottingham then? Thats a pretty huge factor i should consider though as i have to get a first or a 2:1 to qualify in Singapore. Its a really difficult choice cos both are really good universities but does anyone know how much the universities differ with respect as to student societies, teaching quality and environment?

Sooooo, I'm curious which did you choose in the end? Going through the same dilemma. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Hello guys,

Bristol - 75%
Nottingham - 75%
Manchester - 75%
Exeter - 65%
Durham - rejected

I agree with whats been said so far, that theres not a huge amount between them. What I would say is that I (quite randomly) ended up talking to a complete stranger in a shop. He was just going onto his 4th year at Nottingham law and loved it there, though he did say that the city itself wasn't particularly nice. They do a year abroad which is pretty neat - he had just come back from a year in singapore.
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ if it offers any help to you in deciding where to go you can also check this website and compare your universities' law departments for a range of factors such as percentage of students achieving 2.1's or above etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending