The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Results Day March 8th Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6540
Original post by .gina
I need BBC/280 points for Politics at Hull with a B being in Politics. Sounds easy enough but I got D's in my two Politics exams yet A's in my other subjects (Law and English Lit)! I think I'd probably die if my offer was AAB, I'd have no chance of going to Uni lol. I just really can't wait for summer exams to be over, I've never been so stressed about anything in my life!

Learn to relax and study whenever you feel like it. Trust me, from personal experience I find that once you really want to do well you understand everything like clockwerk. My personal goal is A*A*A*. I've already got 2 A*'s and hoping for the third one in May. This is coming from a guy who got D's for all papers in the first AS exam. Just dont get stressed out.
Reply 6541
Original post by Azland
Learn to relax and study whenever you feel like it. Trust me, from personal experience I find that once you really want to do well you understand everything like clockwerk. My personal goal is A*A*A*. I've already got 2 A*'s and hoping for the third one in May. This is coming from a guy who got D's for all papers in the first AS exam. Just dont get stressed out.

I got CDD in my AS year so I'd say I've already done a pretty good turnaround - I resat my English Lit AS from a D and got it up to 114/120. I actually think it may have been misinterpretation of the essay questions for politics and I didn't realise what I really needed to put in, so I guess past papers will help there. Congratulations on going from all D's to A*'s though, that's amazing! I'll try not to get too stressed and just focus :smile:
Reply 6542
Heyyy, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on EMPAs (SCIENCE). Sorry, that this may be out of the discussion, but I suspected most people here would be in A2. I think I did quite crap in them :/....My theory grade for unit 1 is good though...Any advice?

Thanks!
Got a photocopy of my economics
said I got 59/80
But the boundary for an A was 58/80 and apparently I have 79 UMS ?!

Did they remark it before they sent? What is going on !
Original post by Rachel637
Did anyone get an A in ccea chemistry module 4?

Yes my friend got an A in A21 CCEA chem exam!!!!

However there was only on e A and One B in my class!!!!

I got a D:frown: wht did u get?????
Original post by Moiraclaire
Got a photocopy of my economics
said I got 59/80
But the boundary for an A was 58/80 and apparently I have 79 UMS ?!

Did they remark it before they sent? What is going on !

Admin error?
Reply 6546
Original post by Azland

hi..can i ask you how you revise? do you just use your notes?? how exactly did you make your revision and exam techniques change from getting a D to an A*? thanksssss!
Original post by Raj K
hi..can i ask you how you revise? do you just use your notes?? how exactly did you make your revision and exam techniques change from getting a D to an A*? thanksssss!

I know of very few successful students who get by just using class notes. Get the right textbook and learn everything in it. Then do loads of past papers and mark them all yourself.
Reply 6548
Original post by Raj K

Well, after AS results day I spent the next two months learning AS all over again and A2 for the first time. Gave AS+A2 for all my papers in the next session. 13 papers mind you was hell. As for revision - I spent about 5-6 hours each day ( 2 hours per subject ). Didnt stick to any timings - revise anytime you feel like it whether its 2 A.M or 4 P.M. Make notes for the important topics - Everyone is strong at some topics and weak at others so just keep the weak topics in check. Read all the ER's and past papers to get an idea of what they want. Anything above this is subject related as I suppose although most humanities/arts subjects require the same exam technique.

Anyway, if your wondering how my 13 papers went. It was ( All the A's are above 90UMS but my board doesn't give A* at an individual module level) AAAAAAAAAABBE ( The 2 B's were for my 4th AS - didnt really care. Got stressed out on one of the days because of so many exam clashes and one paper ended up to be an E. Its the one I'm resitting in May to get an A*. Regardless though, if I wasnt so stressed or lost my mind on that day I dont doubt I would have got an A in that one too. Anyway, hopefully you wont have as many exams as I did to have clashes and stuff so you should be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
I feel slightly cheated by the amount of work I did and interest I have in the subjects, that I only got BCC although it was very close (by 1 and 2 UMS respectively) to BBB. I don't know if my revision is causing me to miss things out because I wouldn't bargain on that, perhaps it is just exam technique. Of course I'm the only one who can improve and hopefully I can get around the ABB or AAB mark.
Reply 6550
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
x

Have you got your scripts back? I spoke to my exams officer and he said OCR don't give their scripts out until early April - mid June. Apparently the scripts have often come after the June cycle of that particular exam!
Reply 6551
Original post by Ree69
Have you got your scripts back? I spoke to my exams officer and he said OCR don't give their scripts out until early April - mid June. Apparently the scripts have often come after the June cycle of that particular exam!

If you went for a photocopy is should be back by now, if you saved £2 and went for the original they won't send them back until early May and don't guarantee to get them back until early June.
Reply 6552
Original post by Data
If you went for a photocopy is should be back by now, if you saved £2 and went for the original they won't send them back until early May and don't guarantee to get them back until early June.

How I wish I knew that when I paid for them...
Original post by vedderfan94
Human Biology:

Do you only have aqa mark schemes?
Reply 6554
Original post by Azland
Well, after AS results day I spent the next two months learning AS all over again and A2 for the first time. Gave AS+A2 for all my papers in the next session. 13 papers mind you was hell. As for revision - I spent about 5-6 hours each day ( 2 hours per subject ). Didnt stick to any timings - revise anytime you feel like it whether its 2 A.M or 4 P.M. Make notes for the important topics - Everyone is strong at some topics and weak at others so just keep the weak topics in check. Read all the ER's and past papers to get an idea of what they want. Anything above this is subject related as I suppose although most humanities/arts subjects require the same exam technique.

Anyway, if your wondering how my 13 papers went. It was ( All the A's are above 90UMS but my board doesn't give A* at an individual module level) AAAAAAAAAABBE ( The 2 B's were for my 4th AS - didnt really care. Got stressed out on one of the days because of so many exam clashes and one paper ended up to be an E. Its the one I'm resitting in May to get an A*. Regardless though, if I wasnt so stressed or lost my mind on that day I dont doubt I would have got an A in that one too. Anyway, hopefully you wont have as many exams as I did to have clashes and stuff so you should be fine.

oh WOW. all i can say is that you're a genius! i could never cope with 13 exams and still come out with good grades like YOU! i have 7 in the summer..minor compared to what you had!! WELL DONE! :biggrin: and thankyou so much!
Reply 6555
Original post by Moiraclaire
I know of very few successful students who get by just using class notes. Get the right textbook and learn everything in it. Then do loads of past papers and mark them all yourself.

thankyou! although my teachers keep telling me to get rid of my textbooks because they're so detailed :/ i think you mean revise my own notes AND use the textbook too?? and thanksss!! (:
Original post by Raj K
thankyou! although my teachers keep telling me to get rid of my textbooks because they're so detailed :/ i think you mean revise my own notes AND use the textbook too?? and thanksss!! (:

Use the textbook and your class notes. (weighted that way as long as the texbook is a book for your exact exam bored & subject specification, e.g. a book which sayes AQA chemistry A2 if that is what you're doing, not one that is jus 'Revise A-level chemistry' or something equally generic)

Ignore your teachers - there is no such thing as too detailed ! If you're going for an A* :L
Original post by Raj K

my history teacher told us today to take our textbooks home as it would be hard to use purely our own notes to revise. So yeah, if you revise using your own notes and the textbook you should be fine :smile:
Reply 6558
anyone got the gce aqa biology or chemistry unit 1 question paper for jan 2012? could you please upload it or send me it thanks ever so much
Original post by Saliency
Do you only have aqa mark schemes?

Yes only AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest