The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by darreng
Well just got back from a days experience at my local NHS hsopital. Had a great day and now 100% sure that it's what I want to do :-)

Got to meet the clinical lecturer first up who gave me some info on the degree course and then showed me round the various radiography departments.

Spent around 45 mins in each of the following departments:

- A&E X-Ray
- In-patients X-Ray
- CT
- MRI (got to find out just how strong the magnets are lol)
- Contrast and Fluoroscopy
- GP outpatients

Everyone was very welcoming and spent time explaining what they were doing and why. Also got to meet 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students so got to discuss the course etc with them.

Feel pretty exhausted after being on my feet all day lol.

Start my Access course next week so it's all falling into place now :-)

Glad you had a good day. Sounds like they had it all organised! Good luck with the course :smile:
Hey :smile: is everone here over 18 who got work ex?! because everwhere ive looked theyve said i cannot apply for work ex in xray dept unless im 18 or over which is annoying seeing as we have to apply soon and my birthday is after that!

I honestly wouldnt mind travelling to a placement for a day, so PLEASEEEEE can somebody suggest any hospitals that you went to, which allow you to be under 18?! I really would LOVE to do radiography at uni but i know it'd be quite unlikey without any experience!

thankyou :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by hello123450
Hey :smile: is everone here over 18 who got work ex?! because everwhere ive looked theyve said i cannot apply for work ex in xray dept unless im 18 or over which is annoying seeing as we have to apply soon and my birthday is after that!

I honestly wouldnt mind travelling to a placement for a day, so PLEASEEEEE can somebody suggest any hospitals that you went to, which allow you to be under 18?! I really would LOVE to do radiography at uni but i know it'd be quite unlikey without any experience!

If you're anywhere near the south east, Maidstone Hospital should let you do your experience under 18. I did mine when I was 16, and I've seen a few others come and do theirs while I've been a student there.
Reply 23
Original post by hello123450

I did two sets of work experience in a Radiography department, one when I was 17 and another time a couple of months after my 18th birthday. In all honesty I was surprised when I saw how many people on here have difficulty with work experience due to their age - the hospital I went to was very accommodating and the only safety measure I had to take due to being under 18 was to not actually be in the room when they press the button. I could still watch behind the screens, but I literally just had to make sure I was stood behind the door line for that moment. :cool:

As to regards to finding a hospital, target those that take on radiography students as part of university placements and plead your case. I live in Devon so unless you live in the South West area, the hospital I went to is a bit of a trek!
Reply 24
Original post by misterzed
I'm starting in September at derby :smile:

Also, according to one of the lecturers at derby, the funding is changing next year. How it would change, they didn't know. Hard to say how drastic it will be.. might only affect postgraduates in that it will have to be payed by student loan (which is reduced a fair whack), and undergraduates will have to pay the same way you would with other degree programs

So we meet again lol.

Yea funding has gone down for postgrad study but best ever for undergrads. In reality they have balanced the discrepancy between the 2 levels of funding as postgrads got a better deal. Now not only will undergrad radiographers get more means tested bursary, they also get a £1000 grant every year. (all info is on NHS bursary website for 2012/13.

Job prospects currently and previosly have been almost perfec with 100 % employment rates on graduation or 6 months after. However, last year only 56% had a job upon graduation compared to 76% (I think) in 2009. The government is trying to reduce time for scans so there clearly is a demand for radiographers despite big cuts.

Ps I'm 28, 280 ucas points, degree in medical microbiology in 2007, and guns apply for 2012 entry. Bring it on baby!
Original post by MiteshG
So we meet again lol.

Yea funding has gone down for postgrad study but best ever for undergrads. In reality they have balanced the discrepancy between the 2 levels of funding as postgrads got a better deal. Now not only will undergrad radiographers get more means tested bursary, they also get a £1000 grant every year. (all info is on NHS bursary website for 2012/13.

Job prospects currently and previosly have been almost perfec with 100 % employment rates on graduation or 6 months after. However, last year only 56% had a job upon graduation compared to 76% (I think) in 2009. The government is trying to reduce time for scans so there clearly is a demand for radiographers despite big cuts.

Ps I'm 28, 280 ucas points, degree in medical microbiology in 2007, and guns apply for 2012 entry. Bring it on baby!

So, there was only 56 percent of people within a job. That does not sound very good.

Is there not enough radiography jobs out there?
Original post by FXX
Another thread for me to follow :tongue: I finish my course in February, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

What A levels did you do ??if you don't mind me asking !!
I'm currently doing physics maths bio and chem also i finished a complete A level (my native language )
which one should i drop ??and will they count the A level language !!
i was thinking of dropping biology but not so sure yet !!

Many thanks
Reply 27
Original post by Whatever9999
What A levels did you do ??if you don't mind me asking !!
I'm currently doing physics maths bio and chem also i finished a complete A level (my native language )
which one should i drop ??and will they count the A level language !!
i was thinking of dropping biology but not so sure yet !!

Many thanks

I did human biology, psychology, maths and physics (dropped after AS).
Out of those I would drop either chemistry or maths.
I would try to stick with biology, obviously since there's a lot of anatomy on the course, but whichever way you go you have at least two sciences which will be more than enough.
The language A-level will be recognised but I don't know how much of a benefit it will be, especially if it's in your native language anyway. If anything it'll be more advantageous when you go looking for jobs afterwards, some patients can't speak English so anyone who can translate is a great asset for the team.
Reply 28
Original post by firestar101

Look on NHS Jobs. There's naff all at the moment, lol.
Original post by FXX
I did human biology, psychology, maths and physics (dropped after AS).
Out of those I would drop either chemistry or maths.
I would try to stick with biology, obviously since there's a lot of anatomy on the course, but whichever way you go you have at least two sciences which will be more than enough.
The language A-level will be recognised but I don't know how much of a benefit it will be, especially if it's in your native language anyway. If anything it'll be more advantageous when you go looking for jobs afterwards, some patients can't speak English so anyone who can translate is a great asset for the team.

Thanks !
i have another question ,,do you need to do charity work !!is it necessary ?? i have done few other stuff but not charity work ,i'm currently trying to get a work experience in any hospital next week !
Oh and how do you prepare yourself for the uni interview what kind of questions do they tend to ask ? and what can i do to impress them ??
Can Access to science course allow me to study Diagnostic Radiography?

or access to nursing and AS or A level physics ?

Thank you
Reply 31
Original post by Whatever9999
Thanks !
i have another question ,,do you need to do charity work !!is it necessary ?? i have done few other stuff but not charity work ,i'm currently trying to get a work experience in any hospital next week !
Oh and how do you prepare yourself for the uni interview what kind of questions do they tend to ask ? and what can i do to impress them ??

No you don't need any charity work.

I think a lot of the questions are the standard affair, like 'why radiography', 'what skills does a good radiographer possess', 'why is good team working important', etc. It depends where you go though. Some places will want you to talk about stuff going on in the NHS, others want you to be aware of what's going on in radiography specifically, and others don't seem to care either way.

To impress them all you need to do is be enthusiastic.
Reply 32
Original post by miss_limbu
Can Access to science course allow me to study Diagnostic Radiography?

or access to nursing and AS or A level physics ?

Thank you

There are access to healthcare and access to radiography courses around that are acceptable. Obviously the radiography-specific one will be more beneficial as it has some relevant physics thrown in. I don't know any details about the colleges that offer them though.
Original post by FXX
Look on NHS Jobs. There's naff all at the moment, lol.

So, I have an offer for pharmacy and radiography. Would the better option be pharmacy in terms of jobs as pharmacy is always in demand, whereas , radiography seems to have very few jobs.
Reply 34
So, I have an offer for pharmacy and radiography. Would the better option be pharmacy in terms of jobs as pharmacy is always in demand, whereas , radiography seems to have very few jobs.

I dunno, a lot can change in a couple of years, and they're completely different jobs. I would never do pharmacy.
Reply 35
So, there was only 56 percent of people within a job. That does not sound very good.

Don't get me wrong, 56% was the percentage of students who had a job before they even finished the course, the figure for 6 months after graduation was about 80% so I can only assume that after a year it was a 100%

I've literally just got bk from open day at derby and when I spoke to a third year student he told me that if u are geographically flexible u have no end of job availability. A point worth bearing in mind is that this course attracts about 30% mature students who hav family commitments mortgage etc Hence they can't move or some people may not want to work straight away (go travelling) and some plainly wana stay where they are. So on balance I wouldn't think it's all over, far from it in fact. We never know what the future holds, if the government indeed wants to bing down waitin list then expect to see an increase in jobs if anything.
Futhermore, specialities such as sonography MRI and CT still hav loads of vacancies unfilled so as you can see, if your serious abou progressing up the ranks then tenjob Market is still candidate lead.
Reply 36

I did pharmacy for a year then foolishly dropped out coz I didn't like the chemistry, this was 9 years ago. I wish I could go bk an do it or even do it now by cannot get funding as I already have a degree. With pharmacy there is definitely greater earning potential, even hospital pharmacy pay is better then starting radiographer. If u can do pharmacy and as you r clearly considering it, I would go for that any day. There is without a doubt a shortage of hospital pharmacists, community seems to vary but still very good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FXX
No you don't need any charity work.

I think a lot of the questions are the standard affair, like 'why radiography', 'what skills does a good radiographer possess', 'why is good team working important', etc. It depends where you go though. Some places will want you to talk about stuff going on in the NHS, others want you to be aware of what's going on in radiography specifically, and others don't seem to care either way.

To impress them all you need to do is be enthusiastic.

Thank youuu :smile: much appreciated
Reply 38
Original post by FXX
I dunno, a lot can change in a couple of years, and they're completely different jobs. I would never do pharmacy.

Hi FXX

How do you fancy your chances of having a job within 6 months of graduation?
Reply 39
Original post by MiteshG
Hi FXX

How do you fancy your chances of having a job within 6 months of graduation?

Kinda low tbh. I want to avoid moving away, but it seems like all the jobs are in the south west atm.

Latest