The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Pure Core 1 MPC1 Jan 13th 2012

:frown:How did everybody found the exam.I found it too hard.Hardest MPC1 Exam to date in my opinion.Hope I resit. Didn't did that well.Hate AQA:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hope i will do rist.i would have loved if Aqa kept it same format as previous tests
Reply 2
i did edxcel C1 and just coming out of the exam room. it was hardest paper of C1 i have ever seen. i missed 11 marks, thats confirm, but i dont know the rest of mistakes i made so cant expect an A. i amretaking my AS and i am feeling pissed at the moment :frown:.
Reply 3
Hmmmmm I thought It was different from the last papers but I think I still managed to do it allright. what did you guys get in the last part of the question where they ask for the width? I got 6 and 7 but somehow a lot of people got 0<x<8 :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Yes but if you replace in the x+4 thing and x...you can see that for example if x=4 it would be length=8 and width=4. they say that the perimeter has to be higher than 30 so 4+4+8+8= 24 which is less than 30. thats why i put 5 and the lesser numbers out. but you probably right :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Why do they have to change things when I am taking an exam?!! Couldn't they just keep it like normal and then change it when I am not taking it??!! >.<
Reply 6
I did this paper also today, I felt that the paper was slightly harder than the past papers I have completed, though usually everyone finds the exam much more difficult. I know my classmates all found the paper tough also.

I put -12 < x < 8, but now I feel like a **** for not remembering that area cannot be a negative, now I feel like a fool!!! Good fight to that one mark.

I'll have probably gotten a C, even though I was an A/B candidate. The two final "Show That" questions were horrible, though now that I think about it, completing the square on them might have worked, I panicked a bit towards the end.

EDIT: AQA Paper

- Dan
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DPowell
I did this paper also today, I felt that the paper was slightly harder than the past papers I have completed, though usually everyone finds the exam much more difficult. I know my classmates all found the paper tough also.

I put -12 < x < 8, but now I feel like a **** for not remembering that area cannot be a negative, now I feel like a fool!!! Good fight to that one mark.

I'll have probably gotten a C, even though I was an A/B candidate. The two final "Show That" questions were horrible, though now that I think about it, completing the square on them might have worked, I panicked a bit towards the end.

- Dan

Are you talking about the AQA paper?
This paper was disgusting.

I did both MPC1 and MPC2 aqa today

Both of them were the hardest PC1 and PC2 I have ever seen.

Why did they do this? Why change it now.

My only hope is that the UMS will be really really really low.

This paper was horrible. I only have one chance at a retake so hopefully june 2012 will be nothing like this.

The 05-10 papers were literally 500x easier than this.
Reply 9
Original post by CecsyFabregas
This paper was disgusting.

I did both MPC1 and MPC2 aqa today

Both of them were the hardest PC1 and PC2 I have ever seen.

Why did they do this? Why change it now.

My only hope is that the UMS will be really really really low.

This paper was horrible. I only have one chance at a retake so hopefully june 2012 will be nothing like this.

The 05-10 papers were literally 500x easier than this.

I've edited my above post to state that I was sitting the AQA paper. I also agree with this post. The 2011 Paper which I took as a mock for MPC1 was filthy! :P

Today's paper was an absolute disaster. I'm assuming, like MPC1 2011, that the grade boundaries will be low, last year, for MPC1, I believe it was 74% for an A due to the difficulty of the paper.

The questions were not straight forward at all, there's always usually a single question on the paper to throw everyone off, but I felt on this one that (especially with the inequalities one) that they were actually trying to catch us out, as opposed to testing our initial knowledge. I mean, for a one marker, under exam stress, chances of you spotting that you can't have a negative area is very low...

- Dan.
Reply 10
Yeah I agree with you Dan. But anyway lets hope the Further Maths one isn't as horrible as that one. I really would like to get an A!
I think some questions they made were to make you lose time and marks somehow in the middle of exam. >.<
Just Unfair.
Every question seemed to have a sting in the tail, hardly anything was straight forward about that. I'm glad most people found it hard because then they surely have to lower the grade boundaries. It's been 62/63 for 80 UMS (A grade) on most papers but one, which was January 2011 where it was 56 raw marks for 80 UMS. I did that past paper and it was more straight forward than this!

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/
Reply 12
Well I did all past papers and most of them were normally direct. If you don't know maths by heart then I think this would of have been a very hard paper. =/
I just don't understand why they have to make our life harder and change everything when they know very well that most people base their revision time actually doing past papers.
Reply 13
I did January 2011 and got one mark from a B. On every other paper, I got an A or a very high B. Are the papers getting harder? Or are we just getting stupider?! :wink:

- Dan
Original post by Pomponz
Well I did all past papers and most of them were normally direct. If you don't know maths by heart then I think this would of have been a very hard paper. =/
I just don't understand why they have to make our life harder and change everything when they know very well that most people base their revision time actually doing past papers.

Exactly! I've been getting 90%+ in most of the past papers but it seems that every exam I do seems to be harder than previous years -.- I should hopefully get 80% but I needed to get 90%+ because I know the rest of the course makes Core 1 look like child's play so you need high marks in it to get an A/A* overall without more stress.
Reply 15
its getting harder but we dont want that;.we didnt even learnt that polynomial stuff in class.Last exams and further there were facetorm theroms and now they messed up.Hope we take action against this.I want resit and Hope they wont make Computing and Further Maths same other wise im gona strike
Reply 16
I got 97%+ in the papers I did and I still think this one that we did was way harder than the past ones. and No Dan I don't think we getting stupider, I actually think they are making us think we are getting stupider by making it ridiculously harder. :P If that makes sense. :P
And yeah I was hopping get 90%+ on this paper so I could kinda relex about the other exams to come..
But now that this exam went like this...I don't know :s-smilie:
Reply 17
See on today's paper I thought the Polynomials question wasn't too bad, it took me a bit of thinking though. I was disheartended that there were no questions such as re-writing the polynomial in the form (x+a)(x2+bx+c) (x+a)(x^2+bx+c). I'm very good at doing the division. :smile: They are also very standard questions that usually come up...

As per usual, the integration question was absolutely horrible and came out with nasty fractions for me, I gave up on it sadly.

One thing I was also disappointed about was how most of the questions were more 'puzzles' that required a lot of unusual thinking rather than straight forward knowing and applying a rule. Especially the inequalities ones!

- Dan
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Really? The integration gave me really nice numbers. Oh damn, this is going bad >.<
My shaded area was 6. 8-2(Area of triangle). >.<
What was the value of k for the first page last exercice?
I think mine was k=-92/11.
Oh confusion! >.<
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
I ended up just writing for the 2 mark bit afterwards:

[INDENT]"Assume Integration = 3

Area of triangle =
1/2bh1/2 bh

Area = 2

Area of shaded region = 3-2
= 1"
[/INDENT]

Just in the hope that I'd get the two marks for method, as they usually are nice and allow a follow on. Though I must admit I am crap with fractions!

I can't remember what I put for the last one, I was sort of rushed towards the end, I could have done with another 15 minutes.

- Dan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending