The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Sai_Rts
As a current Oxford student, can I ask if you've thought about how expensive living in Oxford is going to be? I know it's a fantastic place to study, but even if I was eligible to apply for GEM here I don't think I'd bother as it's just too expensive to do again. I've looked up rent prices in Newcastle and, for a second degree, this makes it my first choice!

Hi,

The offer from Oxford is for a PhD, not for GEM. Postgrads are required to sign a financial guarantee and supply proof of sufficient funding before they can take up a place, and I have already investigated these figures in considerable detail (and do not agree with them).

However, to answer your question, yes, I do have sufficient funds were I to take up the place.
Reply 261
Original post by HLS
Hi,

The offer from Oxford is for a PhD, not for GEM. Postgrads are required to sign a financial guarantee and supply proof of sufficient funding before they can take up a place, and I have already investigated these figures in considerable detail (and do not agree with them).

However, to answer your question, yes, I do have sufficient funds were I to take up the place.

Hi. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronising! I thought you were doing GEM, in which case it's worth investigating how much your money is going to buy you at each university. Never mind, then!
Reply 262
Original post by Sai_Rts
Hi. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronising! I thought you were doing GEM, in which case it's worth investigating how much your money is going to buy you at each university. Never mind, then!

Yes I agree with you. However there are other advantages to GEM at Oxford and if the incidental costs can be met then it is well worth the hassle.

That said I am not sure the collegiate system will work as well for Medicine as it does for Humanities subjects.
Hi, have been a bit of a lurker but am hoping to apply for GEM for 2013 entry. Have noticed that Oxford have just changed their entrance test from the UKCAT to the BMAT for GEM. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/application-procedure
Any thoughts on the change?
Original post by Witty Username
Hi, have been a bit of a lurker but am hoping to apply for GEM for 2013 entry. Have noticed that Oxford have just changed their entrance test from the UKCAT to the BMAT for GEM. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/application-procedure

I don't know why, but I've always assumed that you had to take the BMAT to apply for Oxford GEM so I wouldn't have noticed the change had I applied to Oxford for 2013 entry :rolleyes:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone know what has happened to that medschoolsonline site? Was trying to advise someone on universities to apply to for graduate medicine and was looking for the site but it has gone:confused:
Reply 266

Other than that it's a good idea, no!
Sorry i know I'm posting a lot, BUT what are peoples thoughts on Keele removing their GEP course as of 2013 entry http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolofmedicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/#a101

Could this be a sign of things to come i.e Medicine GEP eventually being phased out?
Original post by groovyangel2008
Sorry i know I'm posting a lot, BUT what are peoples thoughts on Keele removing their GEP course as of 2013 entry http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolofmedicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/#a101

Could this be a sign of things to come i.e Medicine GEP eventually being phased out?

To be honest, Keele were never a huge contributer to Graduate entry medicine. It wasn't a dedicated course, only admitted 10 students and those students just joined the 2nd year of the five year course.

I think it was probably more bother than it was worth for them. I honestly don't think its a sign of things to come. In fact Newcastle are looking to increase the number they can admit to their accelerated course from 25 to 30 from 2013 entry.
Reply 269
Frankly, Keele removing their GEM course is no big loss. They take in hardly any graduates and there was no dedicated course.
Reply 270
In view of 3 rejections (one left to decide) I have applied to masters courses for Sept entry. I will still reapply next year, but I don't think I can do my HCA job for another year. It's not challenging enough and there's no opportunities for further training or responsibilities - but there's still the possibility of staying on the bank/NHSP to earn extra money in view of the additional expense.
Reply 271
My understanding is the 10 places at Keele didn't actually exist unless first years dropped out. It was not a true GEM but rather tossing graduates into the deep end during second year! If the implication is one does not need to even undertake the first year then why even have a 5 year course? A mystery.

Original post by Annora
In view of 3 rejections (one left to decide) I have applied to masters courses for Sept entry. I will still reapply next year, but I don't think I can do my HCA job for another year. It's not challenging enough and there's no opportunities for further training or responsibilities - but there's still the possibility of staying on the bank/NHSP to earn extra money in view of the additional expense.

Which Masters have you gone for?
Reply 272
Original post by HLS
My understanding is the 10 places at Keele didn't actually exist unless first years dropped out. It was not a true GEM but rather tossing graduates into the deep end during second year! If the implication is one does not need to even undertake the first year then why even have a 5 year course? A mystery.

Makes me dislike them even more. It's like they're marketing a cheap, second-hand product.

Which Masters have you gone for?

Cognitive neuroscience, neuroimaging, stuff like that.
Reply 273
Original post by Annora
Makes me dislike them even more. It's like they're marketing a cheap, second-hand product.

Not sure about that! But it is a big leap of faith to throw people right into the deep end when every other GEM course in the country is purpose-built.

Original post by Annora
Cognitive neuroscience, neuroimaging, stuff like that.

So, assuming you don't get a 2012 place, definitely reapplying next year?
Original post by groovyangel2008
I don't know why, but I've always assumed that you had to take the BMAT to apply for Oxford GEM so I wouldn't have noticed the change had I applied to Oxford for 2013 entry :rolleyes:.

You had to for the undergrad, but it used to be ukcat for the GEM course.
You had to for the undergrad, but it used to be ukcat for the GEM course.

Really ahh okay! Well you learn something new every day :smile:
Reply 276
Original post by HLS
So, assuming you don't get a 2012 place, definitely reapplying next year?

Definitely. Probably not to all the same places - I'll apply to Nottingham and Warwick again, probably Newcastle but not sure where else. Maybe a 5-year.
Reply 277
Does anyone know what happened to medschoolsonline? I liked that website but it seems to no longer exist
I have my final rejection from Warwick now (Messed me around for ages!)... so 2014/15 entry it is now probably. due to not being in the country from the ned of May so i cannot do the UKCAT/get back easily for interviews.
Or apply for a masters after a year working away...
It's nice to see warwick are opening their course out to all degrees now! however i am yet to find someone who doesn't have a traditional science like me who got in :/
I didnt realise keele had a GEM course??
Reply 279
Original post by lcsurfer
I have my final rejection from Warwick now (Messed me around for ages!)... so 2014/15 entry it is now probably. due to not being in the country from the ned of May so i cannot do the UKCAT/get back easily for interviews.
Or apply for a masters after a year working away...
It's nice to see warwick are opening their course out to all degrees now! however i am yet to find someone who doesn't have a traditional science like me who got in :/
I didnt realise keele had a GEM course??

you can seat the UKCAT outside this country... check their web site... if not then you can get an exemption if you have evidence to prove that you reside in a country that doesn't offer UKCAT

you can think about interview arrangement after you receive their invitation :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply