The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language Exam - 29th May

Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to structure the comparison question (it's usually Question 4) in the English Language exam next Tuesday, cause I'm really bad at the comparison question! :confused: Btw the exam board is AQA

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Always look at the different techniques like emotive language or which one is informing and persuading and also the tone used is it friendly or harsh? formal or informal ? and the impact it has on the audience
Reply 2
not really what i was looking for but thanks, it was helpful anyway :smile:
Reply 3
Make sure you compare them in the same sentence
eg. article A does this whereas article B does this
Then back it up with quotations

Don't just talk about one article a lot, then talk about another article

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
^ Thank you, it did help! :smile:
Reply 5
Maybe 3 different techniques found in each article, then a PEE paragraph on each one(or a few in one). Then after writing about a technique in each article, write a short comparision.
Reply 6
Thanks, my teacher told us to do something similar to that :smile:
Reply 7
Do this genre, audience, purpose... Language, information, style, techniques

Aka gap and list. Do this for both texts and do a paragraph on each comparison. Just to let you know, you have to provide a similarity to gain full marks! For example, ones purpose is to describe however the others is to inform, this is shown by...which is effective at... Because...
Then do around 5 or 6 paragraphs. I've got it tuesday too! Just keep going over what you need in each question. Read examplar questions by aqa and remember assessment objectives for each Q. Good luck guys
Reply 8
Original post by AminaS
Hey, does anyone have any advice on how to structure the comparison question (it's usually Question 4) in the English Language exam next Tuesday, cause I'm really bad at the comparison question! :confused: Btw the exam board is AQA

Thanks!

dunno if this helps but use P.E.E - Point Evidence Explain

eg in 'article one' the author begins with the rhetorical question (Point) "__________________?" (Evidence) and this immediately engages the reader in the article by making them think of an answer (Explain). however, 'article two' begins by ............. blablabla........ both these techniques are effective because.....

you get the idea :smile: be precise, dont waffle and immediately compare the two articles. and dont forget to use good vocabulary, here's a little list:

juxtaposes
contradicts
rhetorical question
rule of three
hyperbole
emphasises
opinionated
compares
metaphor
simile
powerful imagery
emotive language
engages the reader
persuasive
informative
sarcasm
effective
evokes emotion

yea i used other people's ideas on this post hehe :tongue: but the point is you learn them if you haven't already :smile: good luck to everybody doing exams! i hope i do this exam justice, i pray i have done for literature last week... im scared about that one :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
thanks, your advice was very helpful :smile:
Reply 10
Where can you find model answers for this paper?
Reply 11
Original post by Quantaˌ
Where can you find model answers for this paper?

Can't find any on the AQA website but the examiners reports can be quite insightful
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-ENG1H-ENG1F-W-WRE-JUN11.PDF
For the comparison;

- Comparative sentence; Source 1 does this but Source 2 doesn't
- Evidence
- Why does the author do this?
- Impact
- Then talk about the second source
- Evidence
- Why/Impact
- Concluding sentence usually referring to the purpose/form of the text.

For the writing section;
Bullet point 5 lang techniques and 5 different types of punctuation.
Use them alongside fancy words that you found in the sources or from knowledge and write in paragraphs.

My revision for tomorrow night will be finding synonyms for 10 common adjectives, writing down a list of language techniques.
Reply 13
thanks, very helpful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by tomaird
Can't find any on the AQA website but the examiners reports can be quite insightful
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-ENG1H-ENG1F-W-WRE-JUN11.PDF

Thanks for the help. How long should the answers be? I've read that 5 paragraphs for Q1-3 is good but that seems like a lot in the time given. So, how long would these paragraphs be? Should you analyse in detail or not?
Reply 15
Original post by Quantaˌ
Thanks for the help. How long should the answers be? I've read that 5 paragraphs for Q1-3 is good but that seems like a lot in the time given. So, how long would these paragraphs be? Should you analyse in detail or not?

5 paragraphs seems like too much to me but it depends how quickly you can write.

I would recommend writing in blocks of time rather than size eg. spend 10 mins on q1-3 then 15 mins on q4 (thats probably not the best plan but you see what I mean), so you write as much as you can in that amount of time then move on

if you try to write a certain amount for eaach question then you'll probably run out of time
Reply 16
Yeah, that is what I am doing at the moment. But I was wondering on how much I should aim to write- to give myself a target...

Also, how much should you analyse each quote? Or should you just comment on it?
Original post by AminaS

Thanks!

You need to focus on the language techniques used. Literally, just go into a ridiculous amount of detail about what each individual word means. For example the word "red" use to describe the sunset evokes a feeling of intensity and romance; the word reminds us that there is beauty around us all the time, and that it is important to reflect upon the majesty of the natural world.

they really don't care that much on structure - they know you;re SO rushed for time. Just put down literally EVERY interpretation you can come up with for the phrases used and the message that the words convey to you.

GOOD LUCK.

And get a comfortable pen to write with. 2hr 15 mins is a B**** on the hand
Reply 18
Original post by carpe diem 123
You need to focus on the language techniques used. Literally, just go into a ridiculous amount of detail about what each individual word means. For example the word "red" use to describe the sunset evokes a feeling of intensity and romance; the word reminds us that there is beauty around us all the time, and that it is important to reflect upon the majesty of the natural world.

they really don't care that much on structure - they know you;re SO rushed for time. Just put down literally EVERY interpretation you can come up with for the phrases used and the message that the words convey to you.

GOOD LUCK.

And get a comfortable pen to write with. 2hr 15 mins is a B**** on the hand

If you are doing this in that much detail, how many quotes should you use in your answer?
(edited 11 years ago)
hey im doing this exam aswell...tommorow!!! my teacher told me that you must explain the differences between languages in question 4 but also make a similarity between the two texts language features to gain extra marks ( must do this for full marks) hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending