The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6000
Original post by Angry cucumber
Despite voting remain a second referendum that people are going wild for isn't going to happen. There's no political will for it.

Also lol @ Cornwall, overwhelmingly voted leave, has now been told it's going to lose £400million of funding for public projects by 2020 due to Brexit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** it, London ain't even going to be affected as much as those other counties anyway.
Original post by Fizzel
If you cannot be deemed responsible enough to drive yourself to a polling station what business have you got doing anything there. Not to mention this anti-EU old people narrative leaves out the fact these old people were the exact same ones who overwhelmingly voted pro-EU in the last referendum.

The real shame post referendum is the state of party politics here in the UK. We really need to ensure this exit is managed as well as possible and we have a leaderless Tory part, an SNP that isn't committed to the UK, and a Labour party that has been ineffective for going on a decade now. Can't believe I'm thinking it but I genuinely wish we still had Blair around. If we leave out the small matter of Iraq, as a leader he was head and shoulders above the clowns on offer now.

When you see how the world is reacting not just to the UK but to the effect on the EU, I just can't get over how stupid European leaders were to push Cameron so hard in those renegotiations. In such a close vote if he could have come home with something other than **** all this wouldn't have happened.

agree with all.

The EU played hardball and gambled on us always staying, and now thier over confidence has put them in a loose-loose situation that they are all panicking about.

+ Same with blair, he was one of the most sucessfull politicians we have had in recent years, yet he is hated by so many.. I honestly feel history will be very kind on him - he will be remembered as an overwhelmingly positive force in the UK - except for one key mistake.

A while back I was reading an article on how labour have destroyed themselves by turning their back on blaire. The conservatives never truly did this to thatcher.. even though in the many years that followed her rain, her popularity went through the toilet with large parts of the country.. the party as a whole stuck by her reputation and legacy, and what happened? we remember her as a great leader, even those that hated her, still have somewhat respect.

But labour did not have the strength to stand by their fallen leader, and everyone clammered to distance themselves from blair. Blairite became a bad word, new labour an awful taboo.. everyone wanted as far away from him as possible, because they feared public oppionon. In reality it was a huge mistake, as they entirely undermined their own legacy and achievements, and cemented blairs failure as the image in the mind of many when they think about the past labour goverments, rather then all of the positive.

Blair was election gold though - won an election even after the iraq war. Current labour cant even win an ellection with the tory goverment ransacking the poor, stripping services and damning the country (atleast in the publics mind)

Scotland turning their back.. UKIP erroding seats in the north.. conversative growing in the south.. Corbyn inspiring no confidence - labour are in an awful awful state.
Blair remembered as a positive force hahahahhaha
Thoughts on the nudes of celebrities Kanye West's new video?

Taylor Swift looking like a really tall under developed child :ahhhhh:
The one good thing about this is that there's so much to do at work, analysing currency, hedge funds, trackers, stocks and shares funds, global markets... will give me some really good experience to put on my CV. I'm looking at the possibility of becoming a financial analyst in the not too distant future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
The one good thing about this is that there's so much to do at work, analysing currency, hedge funds, trackers, stocks and shares funds, global markets... will give me some really good experience to put on my CV. I'm looking at the possibility of becoming a financial analyst in the not too distant future

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will you do your professional qualifications like CFA as I am sure that will help to get you a role more experienced than a graduate analyst role.
Reply 6006
Unreal from Shaqiri

What a ****ing goal
Still furious

Living in a town which voted out has made me feel isolated and a bit alone tbh, don't feel comfortable around people who don't share any similar views to me what-so-ever.

Need to move ASAP (meet me in Leeds bro, they voted remain there)

Original post by Fizzel
If you cannot be deemed responsible enough to drive yourself to a polling station what business have you got doing anything there. Not to mention this anti-EU old people narrative leaves out the fact these old people were the exact same ones who overwhelmingly voted pro-EU in the last referendum.

The real shame post referendum is the state of party politics here in the UK. We really need to ensure this exit is managed as well as possible and we have a leaderless Tory part, an SNP that isn't committed to the UK, and a Labour party that has been ineffective for going on a decade now. Can't believe I'm thinking it but I genuinely wish we still had Blair around. If we leave out the small matter of Iraq, as a leader he was head and shoulders above the clowns on offer now.

When you see how the world is reacting not just to the UK but to the effect on the EU, I just can't get over how stupid European leaders were to push Cameron so hard in those renegotiations. In such a close vote if he could have come home with something other than **** all this wouldn't have happened.

I love you Fizzel, be my father please

Original post by Dirtybit
Thoughts on the nudes of celebrities Kanye West's new video?

Taylor Swift looking like a really tall under developed child :ahhhhh:

I used to love Kanye West's music, he still has some bangers like Clique and his cover of Don't Like. However I haven't really paid much attention to his music since MBDTF and he gave some great memories growing up, so I love the man.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Blair remembered as a positive force hahahahhaha

Aside from the Iraq war, what do you take issue with?

In the end, he won 3 elections, two by an absolute landslide - resurected a fading labour party, pressed forward with devolution (something your happy with I presume? being welsh and all?), minimum wage, finalised peace agreements with NI, Invested hugely in the public sector like never before, over saw record levels of low unemployment, banned fox hunting, oversaw positive foreign intervention in cases such as Kosovo + Sierra leione, broght forward the human rights act, passed the civil partnership act, Pushed university attendance (questionable, but I would say a long-term positive)

The bad:
Iraq + Afghanistan, Dodgy relationships with buisness leaders + world powers, De-regulation of financial industry, over berorcracy + mismanegement of the NHS

Overal, I would put him as a very sucessful PM, if you remove the two wars.. and a mixed bag with the two wars included.. and thats how I think history will view him, as a solid priminister alround, but one who made an huge awful decision in the end.
Reply 6009
Do think the 16-17yr olds should have had right to vote. Their futures changed forever and they didn't have a say in it.
Had the vote happened last year then I would have been in the same position and not had a say. Confident 17yr old me would have understood the situation well enough to vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Do think the 16-17yr olds should have had right to vote. Their futures changed forever and they didn't have a say in it.
Had the vote happened last year then I would have been in the same position and not had a say. Confident 17yr old me would have understood the situation well enough to vote.

What about 15 year olds?

When I was 15 I was all over elections, and understood far more then my older siblings..

15 year olds have even more of their future changed by this referendum after all?

-- You need to draw a line in the sand somewhere, it was traditionally drawn at the age where we become 'adults'. I would argue that with the current state of society, there is a arguement to raise it, not lower it.. given that with our university system, 18 is no longer the age that many adopt a normal adult life, with adult responsibilities.. its now more like 21, after people go through years of what is bassically an extended teenage life (certianly from the prespective of someone who graduated a while back and has been working now for a few years.. uni life has much more in common with teenage life, then it does with adult life) --

Anyway, regarding the future, it changes all the time. This is a big and sudden change but the idea that you have a divine right to decide what happens in your future based on how long you have to live with the consequences, has never been a part of our society or ethics. Young peoples future has not been decided, young people have to make their own future.. people aged 16-17 now will have so many things to decide on and so many chances to make their future great, in ways that we can probably not even conceive.. they have to push forward and make they change they want to, just as our parents generation and grandparents generation did before that. But that change is not given to you because you deserve it, or because its right - its taken, through hard work and fighting.

If young people so so desperately want their future to be in the EU, then give it 10 years until those young people are in power, and until this situation has blown over, and then maybe it will be an option.. who knows? But its much more likely that actually many young people will change their mind as their political opinions shift with age.. as happens with every generation and always will. 10 years and many of these young people will be the tory voting scum that they claim to hate now..
Original post by zKlown
Still furious

Living in a town which voted out has made me feel isolated and a bit alone tbh, don't feel comfortable around people who don't share any similar views to me what-so-ever.

Need to move ASAP (meet me in Leeds bro, they voted remain there)

Deal with it. Don't act so entitled.

And Leeds was 50/50
Eubank v Billy Joe II please
Anyone got a mobile link for Joshua v Breazeale?
Original post by samiz20891
Will you do your professional qualifications like CFA as I am sure that will help to get you a role more experienced than a graduate analyst role.

Yeh I want to start CFA Level 1 soon. Couple of lads in my team were doing it and it was absolutely brutal. They've both secured 32k analyst roles in the city though, so their hard work definitely paid off.

I want to have 2-3 months pay saved when i'm made redundant so i've got that on top of the severance package. Gonna start looking at internal roles within the company too. I'm in a bit of an awkward position atm because i'm doing so much overtime that i'm effectively on 30k, so there isn't much use getting a new job unless it's in that salary range.
Reply 6015
Link 4 fight?
Reply 6016
Original post by sr90
Yeh I want to start CFA Level 1 soon. Couple of lads in my team were doing it and it was absolutely brutal. They've both secured 32k analyst roles in the city though, so their hard work definitely paid off.

I want to have 2-3 months pay saved when i'm made redundant so i've got that on top of the severance package. Gonna start looking at internal roles within the company too. I'm in a bit of an awkward position atm because i'm doing so much overtime that i'm effectively on 30k, so there isn't much use getting a new job unless it's in that salary range.

Why don't you just work in another job that pays lower and do overtime?
Showtime coverage is so much better than the Sky Sports bollox
Original post by sr90

Yeah, my cousin doing level 2 atm, he works at lloyds as a portfolio optimisation associate I believe. He says it's been challenging due to the structure to an extent but he finding it ok. I am doing acca atm, my brother doing aca. I think the key with all these qualifications is to keep on top of it as it can be overwhelming close to the exam time.
I guess given you come from a history background, you don't have as much prior knowledge as some others have. Also, the pass rates tend to look a lot worse than you think and using a learning provider, I know kaplan do CFA will give you a good understanding prior to sitting an exams.
I was considering to do the CFA after this when I started but I think as I want to move to tax in the long term, I probably consider CTA if I want to pursue further qualifications.

Latest