The Student Room Group

Headboy Speech

For those of you who don’t know me I’m Robert McGeachan, I enjoy playing rugby, and am currently studying chemistry, biology double maths and psychology and if everything goes to plan I want to study veterinary medicine at university. The reason I want to be head boy is that I have spent the last five years at waingels criticising decisions being made by the school and I would really like the opportunity to be able to understand why these decisions are being made and have an input myself. Im not going to waste time making unproductive changes but to focus strongly on what is most important to us. Why is it that the canteen size is so small people have to sit on the floor to eat and this is resolved by a complicated system no one can understand. I think the size of the common room is unacceptable and this will be another thing I will be looking to improve, and finally enhance the social aspect of six form as after all the environment we learn in is just as important as the learning its self. At the moment I feel as though are opinions aren’t accounted for, If I got head boy I will make sure that our voice and demands will be heard, I can’t promise snooker tables vending machines but I can promise I will listen to every single person in this room, take your ideas forward and not stop till I get an answer, I accept the answer will be no quite a lot of the time but if it is then I want to ensure that you all are aware of this reason, and the easiest way I could do this is by making use of the tv’s around the school. I believe a vote for me is not just a vote for me but a vote for you, Waingels is here for you and so am I so vote for me and together we can make our school better.

Need to cut it down abit only have sixty seconds some bits and I know aren't great.

Any slogan Ideas "A vote for me is a vote for you"
Original post by Robert McGeachan

Original post by Robert McGeachan
For those of you who don’t know me I’m Robert McGeachan, I enjoy playing rugby, and am currently studying chemistry, biology double maths and psychology and if everything goes to plan I want to study veterinary medicine at university. The reason I want to be head boy is that I have spent the last five years at waingels criticising decisions being made by the school and I would really like the opportunity to be able to understand why these decisions are being made and have an input myself. Im not going to waste time making unproductive changes but to focus strongly on what is most important to us. Why is it that the canteen size is so small people have to sit on the floor to eat and this is resolved by a complicated system no one can understand. I think the size of the common room is unacceptable and this will be another thing I will be looking to improve, and finally enhance the social aspect of six form as after all the environment we learn in is just as important as the learning its self. At the moment I feel as though are opinions aren’t accounted for, If I got head boy I will make sure that our voice and demands will be heard, I can’t promise snooker tables vending machines but I can promise I will listen to every single person in this room, take your ideas forward and not stop till I get an answer, I accept the answer will be no quite a lot of the time but if it is then I want to ensure that you all are aware of this reason, and the easiest way I could do this is by making use of the tv’s around the school. I believe a vote for me is not just a vote for me but a vote for you, Waingels is here for you and so am I so vote for me and together we can make our school better.

Need to cut it down abit only have sixty seconds some bits and I know aren't great.

Any slogan Ideas "A vote for me is a vote for you"

Cut out all the negative crap.
Reply 2
Casually drop Inbetweeners references for guaranteed success.
Reply 3
Just say something funny, that's how I got elected. The whole thing is just a popularity contest anyway. My fellow students couldn't care less how 'passionately' I wanted the position, so I made them laugh for most of it.
Reply 4
It all sounds a bit cliched but then again I suppose there's not much else to talk about. In my school head prefects are interviewed by the principal and a couple of other people i.e. previous head prefects, and we don't need to make a speech - the student council takes care of the "size of the common room" and such.

I know you're short on time, but could you give an example of where you've shown leadership i.e. coordinated a trip/led your (rugby/community service/maths) team into success etc? Those are more convincing to students. Yeah as previous post says, negative stuff ain't nice to the ear. Maybe talk about your experience of cooperating with adults/staff leaders. You can even add a phrase or two about what values you stand for.

But course, just take my advice as reference. I've been there done that- practise lots and all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending