The Student Room Group

GCSE Revision & Exam Tips Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lily Academia
Since I just spent AGES doing this for my AS - here's a tonne of idioms for French students to slip into their work:

Got any for spanish?
Reply 21
Original post by BookWormShanti
English Language & English Literature (AQA)

(though don’t go too far… like I did!).

Lol...what did you do?
Reply 22
Original post by user
Lol...what did you do?

Um... I may have written about my imaginary friend Bernie, who was in the exam hall with me whispering and turned into a dragon :ninja: (the question was describe your best friend). It was without a shadow of a doubt the weirdest and most outlandish thing I have ever written... :sad:it must have been a very crazy examiner who gave me 26/27 (the only mark I dropped on both papers). I'm not quite sure what I came over me... my practices were all normal and 27s, even if slightly "original".
Reply 23
:teehee:
Reply 24
GCSE bitesize does not work at all for me, but I saved up some money from working as a waitress and went all out at WHSmith! Honestly, I paid £10.99 for a "filing book" - sounds like a lot, and it is... but it's so worth it! Education should not have to compromise, it's got thin ruled lines and margins and the pages are so beautiful... sounds odd but it's the biggest motivator I've yet had to revise. I now find myself wanting to get out a pack of highlighters and go crazy! Drawing also helps me with revising, I'd recommend getting a good revision pad that you can divide up with a few subjects and really work hard.

MATHS:

I "borrowed" (effectively stole considering the school don't know, although I shall return it soon!) this big text book with questions labelled "D/C/B/A/A*" and I went through the exercises and wrote out notes in a new maths books and have filled up about a hundred pages, but it's helped so much! In class i'm so good now, start early guysss - best advice!
Original post by Lily Academia
EDIT:

My joke was on Physics.... wait, no, that doesn't make me sound any better.

And Alex doesn't revise; he is a self proclaimed maths god.

What's this? Talking about me on other threads as well?
Reply 26
Original post by j.alexanderh

We even talked about you in a thread of Egg's :ninja:
We even talked about you in a thread of Egg's :ninja:

Did you like how I destroyed your philosophical pedantry on the year 11 thread? I see you haven't replied yet.
Reply 28
Did you like how I destroyed your philosophical pedantry on the year 11 thread? I see you haven't replied yet.

It's because I'm supposed to be on my way to bed and every time I start to write a reply it turns into some sort of mind****. The amount of typos I have made writing this would give you nightmares :cry2: so I decided I'd reply in the morning when I had my head screwed on.
btw - you didn't destroy me, I didn't explain well enough, I don't agree with what I was arguing to her (it was just for fun!) and I :love: Wittgenstein and am aware of his views :smile:
Reply 29

I see you can no longer think of a witty/grammatical comeback so are ignoring me: ha!

I'm only spreading your infamy, dear.
I see you can no longer think of a witty/grammatical comeback so are ignoring me: ha!

You said 'amount of typos' instead of 'number of typos'.

You asked for that.
Reply 32
You said 'amount of typos' instead of 'number of typos'.

You asked for that.

Took you that long and that's all you can come up with? Honestly, you're not worth that infamy Lily and I are granting you, dear.
Took you that long and that's all you can come up with? Honestly, you're not worth that infamy Lily and I are granting you, dear.

Hehehe :tongue:

This conversation made me giggle: TSR is too much fun - I am meant to be revising! :ninja:
Reply 34
Original post by Maths_Lover
Hehehe :tongue:

This conversation made me giggle: TSR is too much fun - I am meant to be revising! :ninja:

Same! I'm going to go at 11 :smile: (thanks for bumping my thread :wink:)
Original post by al0
I just don't have the motivation to START revising.. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get yourself in the mood?

:hi:
1) Look at the things you need to revise, order them in terms of priority. If your like everyone else, you'll immediately try and revise what your good at - avoid that, you want to revise what your not so good at to make yourself better.

2) Lay out all your revision materials for your most prioritised subject. Get your pens, calculators, rulers, and the rest of the blergh out, because it'll just get on your tits when you realise that just as you've gotten comfortable to sit down and do some revision, you've left your calculator downstairs.

3) By now, I have to have a sit down LOL. Make yourself a cuppa! and maybe organise a playlist to listen too, (not too loud mind, I end up writing down the lyrics by accident):cookie:

4) Sit your ass down, look at the clock - how much time do you promise yourself your going to revise? Be realistic. Your not going to sit there for the next 12 hours, give yourself an hour and a half max before you have another break.

5) Press PLAY on your music device, open the book, and start revisingggggg!:deal:

Before step 1, rather then sitting on TSR, google some revision materials,:google: I always find that can help you want to sit down and work. But that's just me :smile:
Same! I'm going to go at 11 :smile: (thanks for bumping my thread :wink:)

What does that mean? Sorry, I am very slow with slang terms...
Reply 37
Original post by Maths_Lover
What does that mean? Sorry, I am very slow with slang terms...

It means if you post on a thread it goes back up to the top and is more likely to be seen by people - hence posting on your own thread is own as bumping. But I should probably shut up now because I'm sure this must be annoying some people...
It means if you post on a thread it goes back up to the top and is more likely to be seen by people - hence posting on your own thread is own as bumping. But I should probably shut up now because I'm sure this must be annoying some people...

OK, thanks :smile:
Anyone here got any helpful revision material for the poetry part of the exam? I need help linking my poems - I was wondering if anyone has any recourses highlighting which poems best go with which and why.

(AQA Spec, Cluster 1 and 2)

Quick Reply

Latest